• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Does keeping a magazine loaded ....

This is a discussion on Does keeping a magazine loaded .... within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Does keeping a mag loaded for a very long time affect the spring ?...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Does keeping a magazine loaded ....

Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18737
Does keeping a magazine loaded ....

Does keeping a mag loaded for a very long time affect the spring ?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 19780
Yes, any spring put under prolong compression will weaken more rapidly. I'd suggest you unload your mags unless you want to buy new ones more frequently. I keep 1 mag loaded at all times for my xd, the others sit with the ammo unloaded. They springs are strong, and will last sometime even compressed but you will wear them out quicker that way. Certainly not in a weeks time but a bit sooner than an unloaded mag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
XD9 Service model
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Owner/Operator
enfurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfurno View Post
Yes, any spring put under prolong compression will weaken more rapidly. I'd suggest you unload your mags unless you want to buy new ones more frequently. I keep 1 mag loaded at all times for my xd, the others sit with the ammo unloaded. They springs are strong, and will last sometime even compressed but you will wear them out quicker that way. Certainly not in a weeks time but a bit sooner than an unloaded mag.
what he said

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 20943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post
what he said

+1

Founding Life Member:

Senior Founding Member:
- Helping Californians Legally Obtain A Concealed Carry License

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein
Mad Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 14716
i keep one loaded in the gun, but rotate every few months, sheesh i only have three mags.
texas_rebel_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16634
oh no here we go again

Keeping a mag loaded will not weaken the spring.
Repeated compression will weaken the spring. i.e. loading and unloading.
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 19955
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfurno View Post
Why would anyone buy new mags when their springs wear out? Maybe I'm missing something in the translation... I replace the springs annually in my carry mags. I rotate them weekly. They have been tested with all of my carry ammo.

Now to the point... I have a set of three Colt .38 Super mags that my father gave to me. He kept them loaded at all times. The mags are about 20 years old and still have their original springs. Interestingly enough, they still work just fine. They feed just as good as any of the other mags I have. I can't explain this phenomenon, but it's true.

I also have mags for my Glocks that have springs that lasted less than 5,000 rounds.

My thoughts? Keep them loaded if you want, ans spend the $20 a year for a three-pack of Wolff HP mag springs.

JMTC...

-Fyr

"Leave the gun... Take the Cannoli..."
fyrfytrcwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
Being constantly compressed (as long as they aren't binding) won't damage a spring. Work is what will weaken the spring and the only way to "work" a spring in a magazine is to constantly load and unload it.

You can get replacement springs for a much lower cost compared to brand new mags.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14109
I have fired a couple of mags full of 45ACP that were loaded back in 1944. Nary a hitch, folks. Those mags laid in storage for 55 years with old-technology springs at maximum compression and still performed 100%. I have fired numerous other guns which had been left loaded for years (and sometimes decades) and have never had a malfunction due to a weakened magazine or other coil spring.

Coil springs seem to do fine as long as they aren't exposed to extreme heat or cold while under compression. I do not subscribe to the theory that springs need to be "relaxed" occasionally to maintain their strength. In my experience, metal fatigue occurs when the material is "worked" (whether by thermal cycles, pressure changes, or physical bending/ twisting/ stretching/ etc.), not when it is kept in a static state.

I certainly don't see anyone talking about swapping out their pistol's mainspring every few weeks so it can "relax"...why worry about the mag spring?

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17964
i seriously doubt that storiong a mag full will have NO affect on them. but i have one that i allways keep loaded and one that i dont keep loaded the one that is unloaded is the one i use at the range so it gets compressed quite a bit but the carry mag will only get unloaded twice a month or so but i have noticed that the carry mag is easier to load the last few rounds. so this seems like to me that it does have an affect. that being said i still continue to keep it full with no worries i dont think it will ruin a mag but to say it has no affect just doesnt seem right
rogerxd45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
does it hurt the spring to keep magazine full of ammunition
does it weaken the spring in your magazine to keep ammo stored in it
does keeping a clip loaded harm the spring?
does keeping a gun magazine loaded weekenthe spring

does keeping a magazine loaded weaken the spring

does keeping a magazine unloaded magazine weaken the
does keeping ammo in a magazine weaken the spring?
does keeping gun magazine loaded harm spring
does storing mags loaded harm the spring
keeping bullets in magazines
keeping magazines loaded
what does it mean when your loading a gun magazine with ammunition the spring pops
will keeping ammo in a mag ruin the spring
will keeping bullets in the clip ruin the spring

will leaving a magazine loaded ruin the spring

will leaving bullets in a clip harm the clip
Click on a term to search for related topics.