• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

357 mag for black bear defense

This is a discussion on 357 mag for black bear defense within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; The most powerful handgun that I own is a Ruger GP100 with a 4 inch barrel. What is the best defense round for black bear/cougar? ...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 11970
357 mag for black bear defense

The most powerful handgun that I own is a Ruger GP100 with a 4 inch barrel. What is the best defense round for black bear/cougar? My first thought was 158 grain XTP?
john wist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
Do you reload? If so, use the heaviest hardcast bullet that you can suff into that thing (180 grain). If you have something bearing (pardon the pun) down on you, your going to want as much penetration as you can get to smash through tissue and bone.

If you dont reload, try here http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17756
The 357 Magnum is a little light for bear, you would be much better served with a 44 Magnum or even a 454 or 500 S&W Magnum. That being said, I'd go with the heaviest bullet you can get. If you reload, I think you can go as high as 200 grains. In factory loadings, maybe 180 grains is the heaviest but not sure about that.

Stay away from hollow points, they will likely expand in the tough hide and not penetrate to the vitals. You want a solid bullet with a heavy jacket pushed as fast as you can get it. The relative short 4" barrel is going to make it more difficult to get maximum velocity out of any loading.
Verk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
Maybe im just in a crappy mood tonight ut why is it that everytime someone posts "this is what I have, whats the best load" people always come back saying basically that they should get something else? He didnt say he was going hunting for them.

If your headed into an area that you MIGHT encounter bears, ANYTHING is better than nothing and a .357 using the right load should be plenty to discrourage a POSSIBLE bear attack. Remember that black bears are not even close to the size or aggresiveness as grizzlies.

Yes, a .44 would always be better but if you load what you have, I wouldnt worry about it. A 4 inch gun will be more comfortable to carry and lighter.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Both Federal, DoubleTap & Buffalo Bore make a 180grLFP. THis would be my choice for bear country. There are many suppliers of 170gr-180grLFP or LSWC out there for handloading. If you want a JHP (black bears are not that big), the 180grXTP would be my choice.
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy_trigger View Post
Maybe im just in a crappy mood tonight ut why is it that everytime someone posts "this is what I have, whats the best load" people always come back saying basically that they should get something else? He didnt say he was going hunting for them.

If your headed into an area that you MIGHT encounter bears, ANYTHING is better than nothing and a .357 using the right load should be plenty to discrourage a POSSIBLE bear attack. Remember that black bears are not even close to the size or aggresiveness as grizzlies.

Yes, a .44 would always be better but if you load what you have, I wouldnt worry about it. A 4 inch gun will be more comfortable to carry and lighter.
Point taken but lets consider this. Why do you not use a .22LR for defense? The .22LR has killed lots of people but its a poor stopper. You don't shoot someone in self defense to kill them, you shoot them to stop them from doing whatever it was that caused you to shoot them in the first place. If they end up dying, so be it but the key here is to stop.

Makes no difference if its a two legged predator or a four legged one, the concept is the same.....to stop them before they can do harm to you or your loved ones. No, black bears are not normally aggressive but then again......they can be given the right circumstances. If you unknowingly walk up on one and she has cubs.....the game is going to be on. You might not have the luxury of being able to place several well placed shots......you might only have time for one shot and that one is going to have to do the trick otherwise it could end up being a really bad day.

Most informed people would not carry a 22LR on the streets for self protection because its a poor stopper. If I was going into the wilderness and there was even a remote chance I would have to protect myself from a bear or other large animal, I would want enough gun for the very same reasons. The same principal applies.

Yes, I guess a 22LR is better than nothing on the street and a 357 Magnum is better than nothing in the face of a possible bear attach but are they the right choices.....I think not and when you consider that your very life might be at stake.....I want all the advantage I can get.
Verk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 16336
By the same token, a 22LR against people is not the same as 357 against bear. Most bears in my neck of the woods are not huge. 357 buffolo bore would do nicely. Not ideal but certainly workable.

I don't list my guns - I know glocks, FALs, and AKs but I'm not sure my ability to fill a gunsafe with guns make me an expert on anything.

All that you can depend on from a 45 is that it will drill a .45 - .70 inch hole about 14 inches into someone. There will not be "energy dump", people will not fly backwards, and they will not necessarily fall as if they have been struck by lighting.
GlockConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockConvert View Post
By the same token, a 22LR against people is not the same as 357 against bear. Most bears in my neck of the woods are not huge. 357 buffolo bore would do nicely. Not ideal but certainly workable.

Have you ever shot a bear with a .357 mag?

I haven't, the bear I shot I used a .44 mag. It had been wounded the day before with a .30-06 and a .30-30 (gut shot and leg shot)

By the time I caught up to it the following day, about 20 hours after it had initially been shot, it had run up and down the mountains for about 3 miles. I put a 240 gr JHP into it's shoulder and another through it's heart and it was still sitting up when I walked up and put a final one into it's head.

This was a small black bear, dressed out it was about 175 lbs.

There is a reason folks recommend at least a .44 magnum for bear defense.

There is a huge difference between killing an animal and stopping an attack before the animal maims or kills you.

If you seriously think bears are a threat in your area and you think you may need to stop a bear attack I would not recommend carrying a .357 magnum. I'd recommend a rifle or a shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs.

Now if you aren't willing or able to afford another gun right now and your only choice is to carry a .357 magnum, then I say load it up with some of the 180 gr LFN's from Buffalo Bore.
educate children.\" -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 16873
12g 00 buck shot recomended bear protection. 357 mag pretty ineffective choice due to shot placement requirements.

LMTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 13698
Here is an idea: get some bear spray! You won't have to shoot it and it will deter the bear very well! Plus, it is a lot cheaper!
The Carry: Springfield XD 9 Service - Crossbreed Supertuck & DGR with #16 and #22 springs.
The Tack Driver: Sako Vixen L461 .222 Rifle with Bushnell 4X Scope A real tack driver!
The Fun Gun: Marlin .22 LR with Bushnell 7X Scope
The best weapon anyone can have: a brain.

"The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -John Steinbeck

"Beware the man who owns just one gun, he will know how to use it."
ElJimmyStrappo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.357 for black bear defense
.357 mag for black bear
.357 vs black bear
357 ammo for bear
357 black bear
357 for black bear defense
357 mag for black bear
357 magnum bear defense
357 magnum black bear

357 magnum vs black bear

357 vs bear

357 vs black bear

best .357 ammo for bear
best 357 ammo for bear
most powerful 357 mag bear ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.