• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.50 T/C Shockwave Sabot Ballistics

This is a discussion on .50 T/C Shockwave Sabot Ballistics within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I'm trying to sight in my scope using 100gr of powder and a 250gr T/C Shockwave bullet. Anyone know of any ballistics chart for these? ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » .50 T/C Shockwave Sabot Ballistics

Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10456
.50 T/C Shockwave Sabot Ballistics

I'm trying to sight in my scope using 100gr of powder and a 250gr T/C Shockwave bullet. Anyone know of any ballistics chart for these? I'd like to know how high I need to be shooting at 50 yards to be dead on at 100, and then how low that will be at 150 yards, etc.
Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
Shoot the gun at all ranges, zero it at 50 so that you remove all wind drift from it. Then move it to 100 and sight it in 3 inchest high. DO NOT ADJUST the windage at 100 yards though. Now move it to 150 and shoot again, then back down to 50. Adjust accordingly. Charts are a good starting place but every gun will shoot differently and you dont really know what your bullet is doing without a chrono.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy_trigger View Post
Shoot the gun at all ranges, zero it at 50 so that you remove all wind drift from it. Then move it to 100 and sight it in 3 inchest high. DO NOT ADJUST the windage at 100 yards though. Now move it to 150 and shoot again, then back down to 50. Adjust accordingly. Charts are a good starting place but every gun will shoot differently and you dont really know what your bullet is doing without a chrono.
I won't really have the luxury of having that kind of range until September. I had it shooting dead center at 50 within its first 6 shots. I think its shooting about 3-4 inches high at 50 right now. I figured I'd leave it there till I can find a longer range.

How do you account for windage in the field? I'm new to the whole sniper thing and will be really ticked if I somehow take a shot at my first buck with this and end up shooting off its tail because of mad wind.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Welcome to the world of hunting...lol

Have you ever hear of kentucky windage? Its just seeing that the wind is blowing real hard and allowing for the wind drift. Its all an estimate. With high powered rifles, you can use ballistic tables to calculate the drift. With 250 grain lead bullets that are .50 caliber, you just have to take an educated guess.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8945
I had the same question last year so I called Thompson Center, the Rep. told me with 100 grain of powder using 250 grain bullet that 4 inches high at one hundred yards was 4 inches low at 200 yards.

This year I bought a Nikon Omega scope with BDC and in order for the Bullet drop compensator to work right I have to shoot 150 grains of powder with 250 grain bullet. Hope this helps also, I don't think that wind is going to move a 250 grain bullet that much at 100 yards so get it dead center and don't sweat the wind unless it's hurricane Katrine when your hunting.

Last edited by BEEFCAKE-NMCB1; 08-02-2007 at 11:34 AM.
BEEFCAKE-NMCB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

You might be suprise at how much the wind will effect a 250 grain slug. remember, these are muzzle loaders and the bullets are not traveling at 3000 fps.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFCAKE-NMCB1 View Post
I had the same question last year so I called Thompson Center, the Rep. told me with 100 grain of powder using 250 grain bullet that 4 inches high at one hundred yards was 4 inches low at 200 yards.

This year I bought a Nikon Omega scope with BDC and in order for the Bullet drop compensator to work right I have to shoot 150 grains of powder with 250 grain bullet. Hope this helps also, I don't think that wind is going to move a 250 grain bullet that much at 100 yards so get it dead center and don't sweat the wind unless it's hurricane Katrine when your hunting.
Sweet. I'm using a TruGlo scope with BDC, but it is a rifle scope, so I don't know how I'm going to translated the notches. What yardage are your BDC lines at?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8945
Well one hundred yards is dead center on the crosshairs of course, then a dot for 150, 200, 225, and 250
BEEFCAKE-NMCB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny4523 View Post
I think its shooting about 3-4 inches high at 50 right now. I figured I'd leave it there till I can find a longer range.
I'd take it down to POA @ 50 yards. 3-4 inches high @ 50 could put it over the paper @ 100.

You'll probably find 0"-.5" low @ 50 will be close to where you want to be
Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18181
i dropped a doe and a coyote last years using the shockway bullets and recovered the one from the doe since it was shot in the chest and both went down immediately. They are good bullets and expand very well as i recovered the one from the doe. sorry dont know the ballistics just wanted to put in a good word for them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
250 grain shockwave bullet ballistic charts
shockwave 250 grain ballistic chart
shockwave bullets
shockwave bullets ballistics
shockwave sabots ballistics
tc sabot ballistics
tc sabot ballistics chart

tc shockwave ballistics

tc shockwave ballistics chart
tc shockwave bullet trajectory
tc shockwave sabots
thompson center bullets ballistics
thompson center shockwave ballistics
thompson center shockwave ballistics chart
thompson center shockwave bullets
Click on a term to search for related topics.