• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Anyone ever shoot Ultramax ammo?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever shoot Ultramax ammo? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I've been looking for some bulk, brass cased .308 ammo and I stumbled across a pretty good deal on this stuff from Ultramax. I'm always ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Anyone ever shoot Ultramax ammo?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 8432
Question Anyone ever shoot Ultramax ammo?

I've been looking for some bulk, brass cased .308 ammo and I stumbled across a pretty good deal on this stuff from Ultramax. I'm always leary of reloads though (even though the Black Hills reloads have always treated me well), so I thought I'd see if anyone had ever tried it. I'm looking specifically at the 168gr Sierra HP-Match loads in .308 for starters.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
Hooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11346
I bought some of it one time...it arrived with no info on the box...no caliber...no bullet weight...no nothing. Just their name.
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6088
I have used it in 223. Some of the rounds had very little or no neck tension and when the bullet hit the feed ramp inside my AR, it was driven into the casing and did not feed.

Don't know much about their 308 ammo.

USPSA

I am not an expert I just shoot like one.
The Knight Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
I've shot about 500 rnds of their 9mm and I've been working on 250 rnds of their .45acp.

No problems out of them yet. The .45 (which is SWC lead bullet) is smokey as hell I feel like I'm shooting a blackpowder pistol. The 9mm (FMJ bullet) shot fine just like factory ammo.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12874
I went through a box of 225 in .40, worst ammo ever. Much smokier than others, and I had 1 FTE and many failure to fires (made even more annoying by the fact that the XD is SAO). The FTF's always fired on the 2nd try, but it still bugged me a lot.
ROFL XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
I have also tried some of their 40S&W both lead conical and FMJ. The lead wouldn't feed at all and the FMJ would not feed if there was more than 6rds in a magazine.

I recently got some of their 223 Rem and was impressed. It shooters better than any of the mil surplus I have tried in my AR and was very nice condition for re manufactured. It was all 05 or 06 Lake City brass and was very clean with no dents or set back bullets.

Ultramax makes most of the practice ammo used in boot camp for the army. I would expect their 223 and 9mm to be pretty good. Since 308 is still used some in the military I would bet it would be passable too.

Rambling
mcb
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8316
Is this the same stuff they sell at Cabela's?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...837&id=0022873

I've been considering getting some, just to have a lot on hand and hopefully go shooting more. I don't really care if it is smoky or dirty since I shoot at an outdoor range, but if it has a tendency to jam, I want to stay away from it. I know it is just cheap practice ammo, but I just like for stuff to work. I know every manufacturer is going to have thier share that are duds, but it seems like some have more than others.
bham shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bham shooter
Is this the same stuff they sell at Cabela's?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...837&id=0022873

I've been considering getting some, just to have a lot on hand and hopefully go shooting more. I don't really care if it is smoky or dirty since I shoot at an outdoor range, but if it has a tendency to jam, I want to stay away from it. I know it is just cheap practice ammo, but I just like for stuff to work. I know every manufacturer is going to have thier share that are duds, but it seems like some have more than others.
I'm not sure Cabelas dosen't list the mauf. of the ammo. However I will say this although this ammo is re-man. I was able to find ammo for either a)cheaper in the case of wolf ammo or b)only slightly more expensive (like 10 or 20 dollars per 1000 rounds) brand new factory ammo. To me getting some once fired brass out of the deal and getting new ammo instead of re-man is worth the little bit of extra cash.

USPSA-A59201
Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8316
Yeah, I didn't see that Cabela's had listed it, but a couple of the reviews mentioned Ultramax.

I'm not into reloading yet, but I do have several hundred empties saved for when I do decide to start. I tend to stay away from Wolf, just on the reputation. I'm sure my XD wouldn't have any trouble with it, as it eats everything I put through it, but I don't want to risk potentially damaging my extractor on my carry weapon by using steel-cased ammo.

Where have you found 1,000 rounds for only slightly more? Also, is it 180 grain bullets? My XD40 service shoots the heavier bullets much better, so I was mainly going for bulk quantities in that bullet weight to save some costs. From my experiences at Wally World and Academy, the 155-165 grain bullets are a bit cheaper than the 180s, so I have the dilemma of saving a few bucks and getting the value packs, or spending a little more and getting the 50 round boxes of 180s, and I usually spend the extra to get what shoots better. So if you've found bulk 180s for a similar price, I'd want to check them out as well.

bham shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

I can only speak of 9mm ammo. This is the only ammo I buy in bulk other than 7.62x39. I don't shoot the.45 for cost reason that often so I just get 200 rnds here and there.

USPSA-A59201

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
how good is ultramax ammo
ultra max ammo review
ultramax 9mm
ultramax 9mm ammo review
ultramax 9mm review
ultramax ammo
ultramax ammo 9mm review

ultramax ammo review

ultramax ammo review 9mm
ultramax ammo reviews
ultramax ammunition
ultramax ammunition review
ultramax ammunition reviews
ultramax handgun ammo review
who makes ultramax ammo
who makes ultramax ammunition
Click on a term to search for related topics.