• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How far does the bullet goes? .45, 9mm, .40? JHP.

This is a discussion on How far does the bullet goes? .45, 9mm, .40? JHP. within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; How far does the bullet goes? .45, 9mm, .40? JHP. Just wondering how far would they go, if shoot with nothing in between the gun/ ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » How far does the bullet goes? .45, 9mm, .40? JHP.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11105

Just wondering how far would they go, if shoot with nothing in between the gun/ target.

Try to use search but couldn't come up with a good search terms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
P_PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8316
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_PAC

Just wondering how far would they go, if shoot with nothing in between the gun/ target.

Depends on a lot of things. Muzzle velocity, how it was shot, how far off the ground. They travel on a slight arc, and gravity affects it as it would any falling object. Supposedly, if you were to fire a shot and drop a bullet at the exact same moment, they would hit the ground at roughly the same time.

For example, if you're shooting a .40, which most have speeds around 1200-1400 FPS, and you shot it from about 5 feet off the ground, which is probably most common for the average man standing up, you would have to calculate the time for it to fall 5 feet, and then measure the exact speed of it, and roughly calculate the time in seconds it took to hit the ground and multiply it by the speed, and you'd have how far it traveled.

These are just for example, but if it took 2 seconds for it to hit the ground due to gravity, and was traveling at 1300 FPS, it would travel approximately 2600 feet, or half a mile, before it stopped. But friction from the air would slow it down, so it may not travel as fast the entire time. It could easily lose 100 FPS in speed after a hundred yards or so, and would continue to slow from there.

Last edited by bham shooter; 01-31-2007 at 06:20 PM.
bham shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10201
You can try this:

I do not reload, but if you can get the information the program is looking for, it might help.

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?...=article&sid=3

Jim
JimmieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bham shooter
Depends on a lot of things. Muzzle velocity, how it was shot, how far off the ground. They travel on a slight arc, and gravity affects it as it would any falling object. Supposedly, if you were to fire a shot and drop a bullet at the exact same moment, they would hit the ground at roughly the same time.
10-4 good buddy...that is, if the bullet that is shot leaves the gun at 0 degrees...any sort of vertical impetus will make your statement untrue...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 15007
The force of gravity is 32 feet/second/second. If you drop something from 5 feet above ground it should hit the ground after .559 seconds, assuming no friction. Theoretically, and assuming no friction or lift or drag forces acting on the bullet, and shooting horizontal to a plane, the bullet will also hit the gorund after .559 seconds since the force of gravity is the same whether an object is travelling horizontally or vertically. If the bullet leaves the gun at 1200 feet per second, the bullet will hit the ground at 671 feet (1200 * .559 = 671)
ange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13441
Quote:

Until it hits the ground

--Duke Nukem
MrJerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14507
Quote:

Since the sights of firearms are above the axis of the bore, most barrels are tipped slightly up. The bullet leaves the barrel on an upward path, at some point it will rise across the line of sight, continuing upward until it begans to fall back to earth due to gravity, once again it will cross the line of sight and will eventually fall back to earth unless it strikes an intervening object.
How far could they go, depends on bullet, velocity, ballistic coefficient, air temperature and humidity, and several other factors. Elmer Keith writes about hitting a target at over 600 yards with a .44 Special out of a pistol. I have hit targets with a .50 BMG in excess of 2000 meters. For general purposes, plan on any round you fire to impact a specific target and know what is behind/beyond that target in case you miss. You should always be sure of a safe backstop.
ExSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8041
remember that depending on what surface it strikes when it finally comes down, it can ricochet as well. some bullets travel around 2 miles. as stated before, it all depends on the angle the bullet is shot at, what length barrel it's shot out of, how much velocity.

when shooting out in the country.. I figure if there's anything within 2 miles in the direction I'm wanting to shoot then I'm not shooting that way. Not unless there is a backstop to shoot into.
jednp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishclark
10-4 good buddy...that is, if the bullet that is shot leaves the gun at 0 degrees...any sort of vertical impetus will make your statement untrue...
That's why I said how it was shot. Most guns will be aimed slightly upward. If you did have it in a vise, aimed exactly level, it would still probably fire just slightly upward from the recoil. It would be next to impossible to fire one exactly horizontal.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange
The force of gravity is 32 feet/second/second. If you drop something from 5 feet above ground it should hit the ground after .559 seconds, assuming no friction. Theoretically, and assuming no friction or lift or drag forces acting on the bullet, and shooting horizontal to a plane, the bullet will also hit the gorund after .559 seconds since the force of gravity is the same whether an object is travelling horizontally or vertically. If the bullet leaves the gun at 1200 feet per second, the bullet will hit the ground at 671 feet (1200 * .559 = 671)
That's what I was trying to say, but it's been so long since I had a physics class that I couldn't remember all the specifics.

I have to say I'm impressed with your first post here. Keep up the good work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
fawjhp
how far can a 40 caliber bullet travel

how far can a 9mm bullet travel

how far can a 9mm bullet travel?

how far can a 9mm shoot

how far can a 9mm travel
how far does a 40 bullet travel
how far does a 40 caliber bullet travel

how far does a 9mm bullet travel

how far does a 9mm shoot
how far does a 9mm travel
how far will .40 caliber bullet travel
how far will 9mm bullet travel
how far will a 40 caliber bullet travel
how far will a 9mm shoot
how far will a 9mm travel
Click on a term to search for related topics.