• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Storing ammo loose

This is a discussion on Storing ammo loose within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; This might be a silly question, but I thought I'd ask anyway: Any issues with storing 9mm ammo loose in an ammo can? (Rem. UMC ...

Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 13190
Storing ammo loose

This might be a silly question, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

Any issues with storing 9mm ammo loose in an ammo can? (Rem. UMC 115 gr. FMJ, to be exact)

I did a search for "loose ammo," "storing ammunition," etc, and didn't turn up much, so forgive me if it has been beaten to death before. I'm asking because I feel like there's a lot of wasted space in the boxes that I currently have stacked up in the basement, and figure it would be easier to store and easier to use if I could just grab rounds as necessary, instead of grabbing a box, opening it, pulling out the keeper tray, then grabbing a round.

Thoughts? Thanks

tj
XD-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12538
No problems that I know of. Milsurp comes this way, as does Winchester White-Box. As always, inspect your ammo before using it. If you see any noticeable defects or bullets that are set-back too far in the casing, discard them.
XDAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11939
yes it makes it a bugger to estimate rounds fired cause your just grabbing handfuls and loading, if they are boxed you can keep better track

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
oden131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12983
ammo storage

I load my own and usually start storeing the stuff up during the winter. I store my pistol ammo in 3 lb coffee cans.

USN Jan '62-Dec '81
rwilson452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10456
We (our school's gun club) reload a majority of our ammo supply, all of which is loosely thrown into the large, green ammo cans. We have cardboard taped to the inside of the lid with the number of rounds in the can. If you want to shoot a hundred rounds, then you just update the amount on the cardboard. You should be perfectly fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oden131
yes it makes it a bugger to estimate rounds fired cause your just grabbing handfuls and loading, if they are boxed you can keep better track
Good point, but I was planning on keeping a logbook of rounds fired anyway. I would just have to adjust my record keeping a little bit, and make sure I know how much is in each mass lot (currently just one box of 1000 rds). That way I'll know if my wife is plundering my ammo stash.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12538
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD-TJ
That way I'll know if my wife is plundering my ammo stash.
Since when is that a problem?
XDAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDAndMe
Since when is that a problem?
Thankfully, it isn't (yet!). This is actually our first firearm, so we're both still learning the ropes. I was only kidding around about the ammo-pilfering. To be honest, she's still a little bit wary of the thing, which I think is relatively healthy. But (to stem the inevitable "take a safety class.." responses), we're signing her up for an introductory pistol course, I had 2 weeks of range training in school (Beretta M9 in those days), and we plan on spending quite a bit of time at the range over the next few weeks.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9702
Georgia Arms sells pistol ammo loose in an ammo can. Makes it real handy when you need to load magazines in a hurry.
Nehemiah 4:14b "...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses."
Deacon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12965
I put them loose in 30 cal cans. I get about 900 rounds or so of 9mm and 600 or so of 45 in there. Knowing that, I can roughly guess how many rounds I have in each can. I know that after 4 cans it is getting time for new springs.. I also keep a log of the rounds fired for each weapon..

I used to keep them all counted in boxes loose (100/box), or in those plastic containers, in ammo cans. It became a pain, so I stopped doing it. If a can starts getting low, I just bring an additional can..

-Bidah
Bidah is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
9 mm loose in ammo can
ammo loose in ammo can
can ammo be stored loose
can ammo be stored loose in ammo cans

how to store loose ammo

how to store loose ammunition
loose ammo
loose ammo in ammo can
store ammo loose in can

storing ammo loose

storing ammo loose in ammo cans
storing ammo loose in can
storing ammo loose or in boxes

storing loose ammo

storing loose ammo in ammo can
storing loose ammo?
Click on a term to search for related topics.