• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sig to make ammo

This is a discussion on Sig to make ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Sig Sauer Ammo - V-Crown Defense Loads Review Interesting!...

Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70608
Sig to make ammo

Sig Sauer Ammo - V-Crown Defense Loads Review

Interesting!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 94272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2VP71 View Post
Tests did not seem too impressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73486
From the ballistic gel test at LuckyGunner, it looks like Sig was aiming for expansion rather than penetration in their design. However, a good ammo test should include 4 layers of denim in front of the ballistic gel. It's possible that once the Sig rounds are fired thru denim they will have less expansion and more penetration. So let us wait for someone to do the denim test and to also test the rounds in a shorter barrel that is typically used in concealed carry.

But I must add that I find it interesting that Sig got into the ammo business. Perhaps they are following Wilson Combat's strategy. I just think it is very hard for any new comer in the ammo biz to consistently outperform the Federal HST and Gold Dot in an IWBA standards-based ballistic test.
Stratajema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Old Timer

Member #: 95072
Where's the denim
Luke 22:36
Luke 11:21

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

--Richard Henry Lee

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

--Thomas Jefferson

"A free people claim their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as a gift from their chief magistrate."

--Thomas Jefferson
NathanXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratajema View Post
From the ballistic gel test at LuckyGunner, it looks like Sig was aiming for expansion rather than penetration in their design. However, a good ammo test should include 4 layers of denim in front of the ballistic gel. It's possible that once the Sig rounds are fired thru denim they will have less expansion and more penetration. So let us wait for someone to do the denim test and to also test the rounds in a shorter barrel that is typically used in concealed carry.

But I must add that I find it interesting that Sig got into the ammo business. Perhaps they are following Wilson Combat's strategy. I just think it is very hard for any new comer in the ammo biz to consistently outperform the Federal HST and Gold Dot in an IWBA standards-based ballistic test.

Sig doesn't need to outperform anybody.

They're not competing for Federal's and Speer's shares of the market.

They're competing for the Sig pistol owner segment of the market, which is already sold on the quality of their pistols.

All they have to manufacture now is something that won't malfunction in their guns, puts holes in gelatin, and they'll sell enough to make a profit.

Federal weapon statutes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Looking at those 9mm recovered bullets, it appears that they over expanded, which would lead to poor penetration.

I suspect that the 5" barrel used for the test have them more velocity than they are designed for; if Sig is selling them with the use in 238's or 938's in mind...you might see less expansion, but better penetration from a shorter barrel.

Either way, though...I'll stick with HST, Gold Dot, and T series...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 80067
I saw them on the shelf a few days ago at my LGS.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Regardless its is another ammo manufacturer on the table.... maybe they will start producing fmj ammo in the future to help with the demand for ammo. I see it as a win in my book.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Old Timer

Member #: 95072
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoopermikeXDM View Post
Regardless its is another ammo manufacturer on the table.... maybe they will start producing fmj ammo in the future to help with the demand for ammo. I see it as a win in my book.
I agree. Anything that helps. It can't hurt.
That being said, I'm not going to buy any of this stuff.
Luke 22:36
Luke 11:21

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

--Richard Henry Lee

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

--Thomas Jefferson

"A free people claim their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as a gift from their chief magistrate."

--Thomas Jefferson
NathanXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Like others have said, a new entry into the ammo business is welcome, especially at a time like this when ammo is very hard to come by off the shelf.

I doubt SIG actually bought or constructed a new ammo factory, and that these are the product of some other established European manufacturer, possibly from Germany or Belgium, but in any case it's good to have more stuff available.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
9mm self defense sig sauger v crown ammo

reviews on sig sauer v crown 9mm ammo

sig ammo

sig sauer ammo review

sig sauer v crown ammo review
sig sauer v-crown ammo test
sig sauer x5 review
sig saurer new defensive ammo test

sig to make ammo

who actually makes sig sauer ammo
who makes sig ammo

who makes sig sauer ammo

who makes the v-crown bullets for sig sauer
whomakessigammo?
Click on a term to search for related topics.