• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm vs 40 availability?

This is a discussion on 9mm vs 40 availability? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I got my XD in 9mm a few years back. I had considered both calibers, but settled on 9 because it was cheaper and more ...

Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60514
9mm vs 40 availability?

I got my XD in 9mm a few years back. I had considered both calibers, but settled on 9 because it was cheaper and more plentiful than 40. Now I'm looking at a subcompact. I've built quite a stash of 9 but I have always wanted the power of a 40, especially in a carry piece.

My questions are how does 40 compare in price and availability to 9mm today? I haven't been tracking 40 ammo the last couple of years, but I have seen that 9mm is through the roof at some places and can be very hard to find in stock. Is 40 easier to get and has the panic pushed 9mm prices beyond 40 cal?

And do you think its worth it to build a new ammo cache in 40 when I have all this 9 for my other gun?
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." - Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 93056
I have a 9mm and a .40. Both are hard to find now. 9mm is still cheaper when you can find it. I've been lucky and the boxes I have found are about what they should be, but this was a few months ago. As far as is it worth it? I felt it was because, well, I wanted a .40! I like the 9 because I can shoot at a fairly inexpensive price and the .40 really isn't all that bad either when you can find ammo for either one! Only problem I have now is I'm afraid to shoot what I have.
ratboy3124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Ammo availability is always going to fluctuate by location. Buy the gun you like in the caliber you like & start laying in ammo. The issue for many hobby shooters, you rely on Wally for your ammo & buy only what you need instead of buying in bulk & maintaning a good supply.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Ammo availability is always going to fluctuate by location. Buy the gun you like in the caliber you like & start laying in ammo. The issue for many hobby shooters, you rely on Wally for your ammo & buy only what you need instead of buying in bulk & maintaning a good supply.
^^^^^ What he said.

Part of the reason we have shortages right now is US! Someone goes into a store and sees 10 boxes of ammo. Now, he shoots maybe a box every two weeks, but he buys all 10 boxes. The next poor schmuck who walks in grouses about the ammo shortage because others in this sport are HOARDING with no regard for others who might also need stuff!!!

Come on, people. Do you really NEED 1,000 rounds of X right now? Do you really NEED 3,000 primers?

Run, Henny Penny! The sky is falling.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Would of, could of, should of, originally got it in the .40. Then a conversion barrel and a magazine get's ya into the 9mm.

Hind sight is always 20/20 hu? Having one of each caliber is always a good thing.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 48485
I think there is more .40 then 9mm right now
e-mishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
^^^^^ What he said.

Part of the reason we have shortages right now is US! Someone goes into a store and sees 10 boxes of ammo. Now, he shoots maybe a box every two weeks, but he buys all 10 boxes. The next poor schmuck who walks in grouses about the ammo shortage because others in this sport are HOARDING with no regard for others who might also need stuff!!!

Come on, people. Do you really NEED 1,000 rounds of X right now? Do you really NEED 3,000 primers?

Run, Henny Penny! The sky is falling.
Yes I do, especially if there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I was in a Wally over the weekend, no ammo, but for 4 100 boxes of 20ga. If it had been 12gam I would have bought all 4 because I can. Primers, I never buy less than 5K, except for LR benchrest. Buying in bulk saves you $$ most places in life.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 74119
I'd say 40 is a bit easier to find but both can be found if you keep on the lookout. As far as your situation my 2 cents is stick with 9 in both guns. I don't think that the 40 (and I own a 40 and have owned several) is that much better a round than the 9 and not worth the extra cash.

If you want to add a second caliber get 45.
Numerous P series Sig's (X5 Allround, MK25, P220 Match Stainless Elite), SA TRP, SW Performance Center 1911, SW N frame PC revolvers (627, 629), HK's (HK45 P30LS), CZ75, XDs, and a few other guns laying around. Allahglockbar!
Snaphook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 90562
I can usually get a couple of boxes of 9mm at my local range at a good price when I go. Online prices are still too high, but at least there seems to be some availability now.
CHL Holder
XyloiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60514
I bought a G27 gen 3 today!

My solution to 9 vs 40 is both. I'm going to get a 9mm drop in barrel so I can shoot both rounds.
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." - Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.40 ammo vs 9mm cost

.40 vs 9mm price

9mm ammo availability

9mm ammo price vs .40
9mm ammo vs 40 ammo price

9mm availability

9mm vs .40 ammo availability

9mm vs 40 ammo cost

9mm vs 40 cal ammo price

9mm vs 40 cal price

9mm vs 40 price

ammo availability 9mm vs 40
availability of 40sw vs 45 acp vs 9 mm
availability of 9m bullits versus .40
cost of 9mm ammo vs 40
cost of 9mm vs 40
Click on a term to search for related topics.