• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First Reloads in 45 ACP For XDS- Reaction And Question

This is a discussion on First Reloads in 45 ACP For XDS- Reaction And Question within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I recently purchased my first reloading setup. I am set up for 45 acp, 9mm, and. 223. My first loads were for the 45 acp. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » First Reloads in 45 ACP For XDS- Reaction And Question

Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33483
First Reloads in 45 ACP For XDS- Reaction And Question

I recently purchased my first reloading setup. I am set up for 45 acp, 9mm, and. 223. My first loads were for the 45 acp. After referencing several sources, my recipe was as follows:

230 grain sierra jhp
Bullseye powder 5-5.8
CCI large pistol primers

I started my load at 5 and worked up to 5.6 grains in increments of. 2 grains.

I made 10 of each load and shot them at the range and they all seemed to have more recoil than manufactured ammo I purchase.

My question is, can I go below min load to calm the kick down as long as they still eject properly?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
mk3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
You can load down until the gun won't run, then bring it back up 2/10gr. Not sure where you got your data form, but Lyman goes all the way down to 3.8gr & max out @ 5.3gr. Speer runs hotter, but keep in mind the BE is a very fast burning powder & small changes, especially @ the top end, can really drive pressures up. At 5gr, you should be somewhere around 800fps, close to factory ball ammo.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40724
I think that your loads are too hot at 5.8 gr. of Bullseye under a 230 gr. jacketed bullet. I would stay closer to 5.0 gr. of Bullseye. Where did you get your load data from?
smike308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by smike308 View Post
I think that your loads are too hot at 5.8 gr. of Bullseye under a 230 gr. jacketed bullet. I would stay closer to 5.0 gr. of Bullseye. Where did you get your load data from?
Why I asked, Speer runs very warm loads & they max @ 5.7gr. Caution is certainly warranted as many uberfast burners pressure spike when you cross max data. So there isn't such a thing as a little over max w/ such powders, very unforgiving.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Why I asked, Speer runs very warm loads & they max @ 5.7gr. Caution is certainly warranted as many uberfast burners pressure spike when you cross max data. So there isn't such a thing as a little over max w/ such powders, very unforgiving.
Agreed, 110%
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 90072
Speer data is for speer bullets only - they use a soft guilding metal that allows for a little more powder. You can not switch bullets and consider the loads safe.

You can get load data from the powder manufacturer's web sites and they are fairly conservative.

I personally like W231 for the 45ACP.
theoriginalOSOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 70330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3turbo View Post
I recently purchased my first reloading setup. I am set up for 45 acp, 9mm, and. 223. My first loads were for the 45 acp. After referencing several sources, my recipe was as follows:

230 grain sierra jhp
Bullseye powder 5-5.8
CCI large pistol primers

I started my load at 5 and worked up to 5.6 grains in increments of. 2 grains.

I made 10 of each load and shot them at the range and they all seemed to have more recoil than manufactured ammo I purchase.

My question is, can I go below min load to calm the kick down as long as they still eject properly?

Thanks!

You might want to try a different powder. Winchester WST works well in the 45 and the recoil is different than what you get with Bullseye powder. I use WST in my XDs and it works well. My XDs seems to like a factory duplication load better than reduced loads.

Make sure you get data on the powders you use and work up a load starting at the low end of the load data.
Bubba68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

The load data was taken from Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. I just double checked the data and for a 230 grain jacketed bullet the data for bullseye is 5-5.7.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to start low and work my way up.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

MK3-- From the Sierra Bullets Infinity Suite I6: Sierra .45 230 gr. JHP
Bullseye---4.0 gr= 700 fps; 4.3 gr= 750 fps; 4.6 gr= 800 fps; 4.9 gr=850 fps
MAX 5.2 gr= 900 fps
Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks for the info. I actually just found the page from sierra online and noticed I was a grain too hot. Could have been worse and now I know to make sure my data is accurate. Now time to pull some bullets!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.45 load for xds

45 acp loads for xds

45 acp reloading xds
best 45 loads for xds
best load xds 45 acp
best loads for .45 xds

best reloads for xds

how hot can i load my xds ammo
loading xds45
loads xds .45 using wst
reloading for the .45 xds with wst
reloading for xds .45 acp
what is a good load for the xds 45
xds 45 load data

xds 45 reloads

xds handloads 45 acp
Click on a term to search for related topics.