• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help! Crushing brass

This is a discussion on Help! Crushing brass within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I have a Hornady Lock n Load.... and this is a new problem for me... any thougths? Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2...

Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71200
Help! Crushing brass

I have a Hornady Lock n Load.... and this is a new problem for me... any thougths?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Crushing brass-uploadfromtaptalk1360361566132.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39205
Could be not enough bellmouth at the expansion die. You want just enough flare so that you can place a bullet and it will stay there on its own.

Second possibility, if you are using combined seat/crimp die, crimp set too low so it is acting ahead of seat. I hated adjusting that, so added a separate crimp die.
other forums I like: rugerforum.net canadiangunnutz.com
XD9 service and XDs45, a few other brands around here someplace (wink)
CdnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnInAz View Post
Could be not enough bellmouth at the expansion die. You want just enough flare so that you can place a bullet and it will stay there on its own.

Second possibility, if you are using combined seat/crimp die, crimp set too low so it is acting ahead of seat. I hated adjusting that, so added a separate crimp die.
I second both points.
drcreepyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71200
Thank you.. and yes it is a combined set/crimp die.... this just stared happening after about 2500 rounds and everything seems tight?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27854
Check the press to see if when it seats the bullet, is the bullet tilted to one side 20 t0 30 degrees. That would make the bullet base extend over the case rim and when you push it into the case it crushes part of the top case edge down and under the bullet. Not enough bell or a press malfunction (tipped bullet) could cause the problem.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Flare/bell the case more. If the bullet doesn't easily sit atop the case, more bell. Seating & crimping in one die is not the issue.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Well... it IS an LNL, and they have a tendency to go out of sync. Check your manual for the method of resetting it so the cases are centered under the dies. This is suspect since you say it has happened after 2500rnds or so. Otherwise, I am with the other members and mostly tend towards not enough bell on the casemouth.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41241
Flare.

Had the same thing happen to me before. Another 1/4 turn of flare/powder through die and I was golden.
UofHdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
Yep, it sounds like you're not flaring quite enough so you want to follow the recommendation that others have already given. Just enough flare that the bullet will sit atop the case.

But since this started occurring after 2500 rounds loaded, I would check the instructions to make sure the shell plate is set as it should be to keep the cases centered as JSG mentioned as well making sure you're getting enough flare.

I don't know how you various progressive loaders are doing it, but if I were loading on a progressive, I would seat and crimp in 2 separate operations, Especially with a 5 station progressive.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
57K is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

crushing brass when entering powder thorough die for flaring

lnl crushing brass

why is lnl bullet spreader crushing shells

Click on a term to search for related topics.