• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Powder question

This is a discussion on Powder question within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Long time reloader and I have been using Lymans 45 edition, with the new powders out can you recommend a good powder for loading 45's. ...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85247
Powder question

Long time reloader and I have been using Lymans 45 edition, with the new powders out can you recommend a good powder for loading 45's. I currently use Unique and 261. I have heard Hogdon clays is good.

Thanks,

Dave
coronaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Old Timer

Member #: 24504
Unique is just fine. I wouldn't call it a new powder by any means, though. Thought about Winchester 231?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Gun-Free Zones" are shooting ranges for the criminally insane.
"Know this: Killin' is my business, Ladies, and business IS GOOOOOD!" -Major Payne

When someone says they are a retired operator, i think Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking... JUST a moment.
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronaman View Post
Long time reloader and I have been using Lymans 45 edition, with the new powders out can you recommend a good powder for loading 45's. I currently use Unique and 261. I have heard Hogdon clays is good.

Thanks,

Dave

Go here for some up to date info.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 44190
What weight and style of .45ACP bullet? Jacketed, plated or cast?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Clays is fine for light loads but build pressure rapidly as you get to the top end, so not gppd for full power loads. W231 is fine, my fav is WST. Cleaner buring & will not pressure spike as you get to the upper end/full power loads. Meter well, burns clean, almost always available. If yo like Unique but want better metering, WSF is almost a twin in sperical form.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
I use 231 for my 45acp. . A buddy of mine uses bullseye for his 45, he seems to like it.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
I use W231 and WST to do different things, but I use Ramshot ZIP to do everything I want to do in .45 ACP. If you want a light shooting 200 gr. LSWC, just use a start charge. If you want to load a 230 gr. JHP to slightly over 900 FPS, it will do that too. It's more versatile than W231 and WST and is definitely cleaner burning than W231. Clays is pretty limited in performance and Unique won't do as well in light loads. ZIP is a newer powder but it's been around since about 2000. There is good data at Ramshot and if you can find it, Ramshot powders tend to cost a little less.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:

Get the complete picture here:
57K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85247
Thanks to all for the great info.

Dave
coronaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 85619
45/228 gn lee rn

231 and bullseye, not ever heavy! Leave that for store ammo. Few fancy rnds of defense ammo around.
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Unique is good for the medium and up loads, and the Clays is good for the light stuff, but don't try to get too far up the velocity ladder with it... it's just too fast for that. I like WST for most of my target and moderately higher loadings with .45, but I like Silhouette too for more energetic loads. I haven't tried Zip yet as per 57K's recommendation, but I like the looks of it in the tables for 45 purposes, and I like Ramshot powders in general. A lot of the medium burn speed powders will do well in the large, low pressure case of the 45ACP. Depending on the bullet weight, type, and particular use you are going to put the rounds to, you will find some better than others.

When I look for a new powder to try, I look for load range in a particular caliber, and then it's versatility in several calibers. That is one reason I use a lot of Silhouette. Silhouette is a flattened ball powder that meters well, burns clean, and has a large safe load range in a lot of pistol calibers. I like WST for the same reasons, except it is limited more to the lower end in some calibers, while Silhouette is better at medium and more robust loadings up to full power.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
41 magnum ramshot enforcer
45 acp aa#9 loads

aa #7 vs true blue

aa#7 vs ramshot silhouette
aa#9 load data 45acp
accurate 4100 for .357
accurate enforcer powder
best use for ramshot enforcer powder
can you use ramshot competition powder for light 357 loads
powder
ramshot enforcer 41 mag

ramshot enforcer powder

ramshot powder
ramshot true blue p 40 s&w
where to buy accurate aa9 powder
xdm 45 3.8 golden saber 185 p
Click on a term to search for related topics.