• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Dents in JHP

This is a discussion on Dents in JHP within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I picked up some 40 JHP Federal low recoil. I see some dents in the casing. It is very slight. Also it is much tougher ...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 48156
Dents in JHP

I picked up some 40 JHP Federal low recoil. I see some dents in the casing. It is very slight. Also it is much tougher to put a full mag in with the JHP. I really have to slam it in.

I'm going to shoot a few of them tomorrow. Any thoughts?
smikesmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
There are a lot of factors that need to be addressed before we can give an opinion. Is the gun one of the XD family of pistols? Is the mag new? Have you taken any measurements of the rounds in question? OAL is one needed as well as the width of the loaded round at the middle of the case and the mouth of the case.

As to the dents... it sounds like someone else had the same experience and returned them. Small case dents, if they are not actual cuts, will have no effect as they will get "ironed out" when the round is fired. If they are severe, they could make the case harder to chamber if it resulted in an out of round condition which makes the thing ovoid in shape.

Normally, I do not insert a magazine unless the slide is back anyway. It is generally harder to insert a full magazine into a semi-auto pistol if the slide is closed because the top round will hit the underside of the barrel and the mag spring is already fully compressed. If you are experiencing hard insertion with the slide back, then you have a problem. Otherwise, the only thing about JHP is they might be slightly longer and thus the top round is bearing a little more on the bottom of the barrel during a closed slide insertion of the full magazine. If you take out one round and try it, it should be easier to do until the magazine spring takes a "set" and has a bit less energy. If you leave the mag fully loaded for a few days (if it is factory new) this could help.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 48156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
There are a lot of factors that need to be addressed before we can give an opinion. Is the gun one of the XD family of pistols? Is the mag new? Have you taken any measurements of the rounds in question? OAL is one needed as well as the width of the loaded round at the middle of the case and the mouth of the case.

As to the dents... it sounds like someone else had the same experience and returned them. Small case dents, if they are not actual cuts, will have no effect as they will get "ironed out" when the round is fired. If they are severe, they could make the case harder to chamber if it resulted in an out of round condition which makes the thing ovoid in shape.

Normally, I do not insert a magazine unless the slide is back anyway. It is generally harder to insert a full magazine into a semi-auto pistol if the slide is closed because the top round will hit the underside of the barrel and the mag spring is already fully compressed. If you are experiencing hard insertion with the slide back, then you have a problem. Otherwise, the only thing about JHP is they might be slightly longer and thus the top round is bearing a little more on the bottom of the barrel during a closed slide insertion of the full magazine. If you take out one round and try it, it should be easier to do until the magazine spring takes a "set" and has a bit less energy. If you leave the mag fully loaded for a few days (if it is factory new) this could help.
Thanks for the feedback, guess I should have expanded more.

It is a .40 XDm, the mags are new. I have not taken any measurements and the 'dents' are ever so slight. I wouldn't even know if they were there when I first opened them. Not every one has them, I plan on shooting 2 dented ones and 2 regular ones. The dent is just in the casing and like I said, hardly noticeable. Thanks for the tip on the mags, I'll have to do that to loosen them about a bit.

Also, there is a noticeable difference when loading the mag with the slide back. Much easier. Thanks for that tip.
smikesmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81954
It will fire...
Trotgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Old Timer

Member #: 24504
those dents will be pressed out as soon as you pull the trigger on them.

don't worry about the dents.

when you insert a magazine into a handgun that is in battery (slide fully forward) you are pressing the bullets down further into the magazine as the bar that strips the cartridges is directly over the magazine and naturally it must be longer so that it can grab the cartridge reliably. A fully loaded magazine doesn't have as much give in movement as a partially loaded magazine does. It's no different as if you tired to load another bullet into the magazine or the stripper bar rides over them in the handgun.

when you open the slide, that bar moves backwards with the slide (it's machined into the slide afterall) into the stripping position and no longer rides over the cartridges in the magazine so there's no downward pressure, making it easy to insert mags that lock into the catch.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you, or to anyone for that matter... it's not rocket science. some critical thinking while inspecting the operation of the firearm should give you the answer as to why it's more difficult to insert a fully loaded magazine into a handgun with a closed slide than it is with a partially loaded magazine or open slide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Gun-Free Zones" are shooting ranges for the criminally insane.
"Know this: Killin' is my business, Ladies, and business IS GOOOOOD!" -Major Payne

When someone says they are a retired operator, i think Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking... JUST a moment.
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
I shouldn't have to explain this to you, or to anyone for that matter...

**Posted from my Moto Charm using Tapatalk**
Backup Carry Weapon: Taurus Tracker 44Mag Snubnose
Non Lethal Carry: Sabre Red Crossfire 1.3%
Flashlight Carry: Streamlight Strion 74301
Carry Knife: Buck PakLite Skinner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

divxrippimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Old Timer

Member #: 24504
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxrippimp View Post
...do tell...

"Gun-Free Zones" are shooting ranges for the criminally insane.
"Know this: Killin' is my business, Ladies, and business IS GOOOOOD!" -Major Payne

When someone says they are a retired operator, i think Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking... JUST a moment.
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

The rounds in the mag will not hit the underside of the barrel.

When a loaded mag is inserted with the slide closed, the rounds contact the bottom of the slide,not the barrel.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
...do tell...
LOL I was just quoting you

Backup Carry Weapon: Taurus Tracker 44Mag Snubnose
Non Lethal Carry: Sabre Red Crossfire 1.3%
Flashlight Carry: Streamlight Strion 74301
Carry Knife: Buck PakLite Skinner

divxrippimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can