• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Making lead ingots for casting 45acp rounds

This is a discussion on Making lead ingots for casting 45acp rounds within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; You guys that are getting them free or cheap, stock it deep. The lead ww will be extinct nationwide in another 2-3yrs. Big truck wts ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Making lead ingots for casting 45acp rounds

Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
You guys that are getting them free or cheap, stock it deep. The lead ww will be extinct nationwide in another 2-3yrs. Big truck wts may still be lead, but auto tires, everyone is going steel or zinc. Anytime you hoarders want to get rid of some lead, drop me a note. I have a lot, but always looking for more. I am pretty much reduced to picking up range scrap to pad my supply. Casting is worht it though. I shoot 45acp for little more than 22lr, about $2/50 rds.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 70990
The muffin pan ingots. I must have been doing it longer. My muffin pan is made from cast iron.

Either way, muffin pan ingots stack/store just great.
M1A4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27457
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A4ME View Post
The muffin pan ingots. I must have been doing it longer. My muffin pan is made from cast iron.

exactly, I stack them inside a 5 gal bucket in the corner, then stack the other bucket on top of that one. I don't go any higher than that.

I have several customers that I will trade 45acp brass or some loaded ammo for their WW. If you cover a lot of territory, you will come across some, don't give up. Glad the vids were a help.

1. Notification
2. Registration
3. Confiscation
4. Extermination

You don't get into a fight to lose. If you find yourself in a "fair" fight, you did something wrong!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
carstensxd45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A4ME View Post

A slightly better option, if you weld, is get some scrap 3" wide channel iron & cut them in 4" lengths, weld them together edgewise & put a plate on each end. Weld a handle to the middle you have a great adjustable ingot mold. Fill them 1/4, 1/2 or full, makes 1 1/2#-5# ingots. Careful w/ commercial metal muffin pans, you can end up welding the ingot to the pan. Cast iron or steel are best.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
I think in places where there are a lot of pickup trucks and large tractor trailer tire centers that wheel weights are still usable lead. In the cities where most new cars have "stick on" weights on fancy rims they are getting rare.

Still... there are a lot of battery recycling places around and they process a lot of lead. It may be possible to make some kind of deal with those people. Otherwise, we will have to chip in and buy an interest in a lead mine.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
You are one of the lucky ones!

don
Agreed.
You guys casting lead are once again ahead of the curve because I hear lead will be going up significantly.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krackels View Post
Agreed.
You guys casting lead are once again ahead of the curve because I hear lead will be going up significantly.
All comodities will go up as the US $$ continues to go down. It's one reason ammo & components are going up. I am sitting on about 1200# of various alloy, but consider that is only about 42000/200gr/45s, not enough to last me 20more yrs of shooting. I am always in the market for more @ $1/# flat rate shipped???

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Sure is nice to have the range all to yourself these days. Not many folks shooting except for those "reloader" people. I am still working on ingots that I poured 2 years ago. Picked up 15,000 primers last summer, still have 11,000. should last me for a while.

1. Notification
2. Registration
3. Confiscation
4. Extermination

You don't get into a fight to lose. If you find yourself in a "fair" fight, you did something wrong!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstensxd45 View Post
Sure is nice to have the range all to yourself these days. Not many folks shooting except for those "reloader" people. I am still working on ingots that I poured 2 years ago. Picked up 15,000 primers last summer, still have 11,000. should last me for a while.
Yeah, I expect a smaller turn out at our local IDPA matches going forward. More than half of the shooters are using factory ammo, so no ammo, no match. It is going to be an interesting year.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Yeah, I expect a smaller turn out at our local IDPA matches going forward. More than half of the shooters are using factory ammo, so no ammo, no match. It is going to be an interesting year.
I was surprised, we had a good turn out for our match today. Had a lot of questions about reloading, many guys are seeing the benefits of it now. I am not the "weird guy who makes his own bullets" anymore. My division wasn't very big, however, I came in 1st. Beautiful weather, great shooting time, not much better than that.

1. Notification
2. Registration
3. Confiscation
4. Extermination

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
find lead ingots in san antonio
good type of pan to cast ingots
ingot lead for 45 acp

lead ingot

lead ingot market search
lead ingot+casting+home contact
lead ingots
lead ingots --filetype:ps -filetype:dwf -filetype:kml -filetype:kmz -filetype:xls -filetype:ppt -filetype:doc -filetype:
lead ingots charlotte nc
lead ingots for pistol rounds
lead ingots for sale san antonio tx
lead ingots reloading 2013
make money making lead ingots

making lead ingots

making lead ingots from wheel weights
where to buy lead ingot in n c
Click on a term to search for related topics.