• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Relaoding - Cost to start

This is a discussion on Relaoding - Cost to start within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; With the tax return coming in in the next few months, I'm considering possibly trying to get into reloading. I'm trying to figure out the ...

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44993
Relaoding - Cost to start

With the tax return coming in in the next few months, I'm considering possibly trying to get into reloading.

I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get a set up.

Should I buy a kit? Should I piece it together?

If I get a kit, what's a good recommended kit, and what is the approximate start up cost to get set up?

I'm looking at reloading .45ACP, .270 Win, and .40 S&W to begin with.

Thanks for any help!

Remember: The 2nd amendment is the most important of our American rights. This is the only one that ensures the security of the rest.
DodgyWop is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 51264
Thumbs up

I started reloading about 2 years ago: setup simple Lee turret system, been very happy with it.

Reloading is very well worth it if you tend to shoot alot, 45acp and 40sw will pay for itself really quick, higher caliber rifle rounds you be very happy to reload, you save alot and if very meticulous you will make better rounds.

I setup my Lee turret system with: 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 223,
Rcbs powder dispense, scale, calipers, bullet puller, everything needed for
Near $500.00

If you shoot several hundred rounds per session you will pay for the reload kit in less then 1 year.

Best part for me is knowing that you made the actual bullet yourself using the actual components.

One big warning: if you are not a Careful Person and you are careless, you can really get hurt or worse yet get yourself killed if you, i.e: double charge, load a round with no powder and get a bullet lodged in barrel and not realize it and then you shoot a second round , this can be deadly!

But if you are careful, this is a wonderful hobbie

Ask lots of questions
Khanh
khanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
The LEE Classic Turret is a great press. Very versatile. Check out this thread: I neeed a bit of a primer course in reloading

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 77963
Id say $500 is the starting point for gear.
mdxdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
IF you do not need a high volume of ammo, most of us do NOT, then the Lee Classic Turret is a pretty good press. Fast enough to keep you shooting every week w/o breaking the bank. The kit from Kempf's is better than the others, it gives you a better scale, the Lee is crap, & can upgrade to an adjustable measure, far better than a limiting fixed measure. The cost of ammo today, I can't imagein NOT reloading. As noted, you can get everything you need for under $500. You'll save 50% on your ammo cost, the gear will be paid for in 1-2yrs.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
IF you do not need a high volume of ammo, most of us do NOT, then the Lee Classic Turret is a pretty good press. Fast enough to keep you shooting every week w/o breaking the bank. The kit from Kempf's is better than the others, it gives you a better scale, the Lee is crap, & can upgrade to an adjustable measure, far better than a limiting fixed measure. The cost of ammo today, I can't imagein NOT reloading. As noted, you can get everything you need for under $500. You'll save 50% on your ammo cost, the gear will be paid for in 1-2yrs.
Awesome. Sounds like Lee is the way to go. Also that Kempf kit sounds great. I'll probably end up ordering from them.

What else should I factor in addition to the kit? (obviously a manual is a must)

Thanks!

Remember: The 2nd amendment is the most important of our American rights. This is the only one that ensures the security of the rest.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57K View Post
The LEE Classic Turret is a great press. Very versatile. Check out this thread: I neeed a bit of a primer course in reloading
Unless the newer turret presses are different, you won't be able to load cartridges as long as the 270 win.

I have an old turret and 223 is about as long as i can use in it.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
Unless the newer turret presses are different, you won't be able to load cartridges as long as the 270 win.

I have an old turret and 223 is about as long as i can use in it.

don
According to Lee's site

"Deactivate the Auto index feature and you can batch reload the longest rifle cartridges."

Reloading Presses - Lee Precision

Not sure if that clarifies it or not though since I have no idea what the "auto index" is

Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
I am not sure of everything that comes in the kit, but a set of calipers is a must, I like dial, they always work vs elec dig. At some point you will want to clean your brass better than just rolling them around in a wet towel. Most use dry media tumblers, but there are liquid solutions that are cheap & easy, you just have to dry the cases befreo reloading, PITA. The Lee kit will come w/ the Lee manula, a marginal book at best. I would also get the Lyman #49 &/or Speer #14, very good manuals.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I am not sure of everything that comes in the kit, but a set of calipers is a must, I like dial, they always work vs elec dig. At some point you will want to clean your brass better than just rolling them around in a wet towel. Most use dry media tumblers, but there are liquid solutions that are cheap & easy, you just have to dry the cases befreo reloading, PITA. The Lee kit will come w/ the Lee manula, a marginal book at best. I would also get the Lyman #49 &/or Speer #14, very good manuals.
Yeah, looking into this, I already planned on buying a tumbler, they aren't too expensive.

I've also seen a lot of people recommend that Lyman's manual. I'll probably grab that here in the next couple weeks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

lee classic turret press kit

redding dies for .45 acp in turret press

Click on a term to search for related topics.