• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Relaoding - Cost to start

This is a discussion on Relaoding - Cost to start within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by 57K Sounds like you've got it covered with a couple of exceptions. You didn't mention the LEE Safety Prime system so does ...

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44993
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57K View Post
Sounds like you've got it covered with a couple of exceptions. You didn't mention the LEE Safety Prime system so does it come with the press kit?

Also, spending $25 and expecting to get a good digital caliper won't work. It will be giving you false readings in short order. Get a DIAL caliper for the same money, it will probably be chinese, but in my experience they are still accurate and will stay that way a lot longer than a cheap digital.

Also, I think you can do better than Power Pistol for .40 S&W and Bullseye for .45 ACP. For .40, I'd get Ramshot Silhouette, True Blue or WSF. For .45 ACP, I'd get Ramshot ZIP, W231/HP38 or WST. These are all ball/spherical powders that will meter much better and perform better in general compared to the powders you list. As for bullets, I'd rather use cast lead than plated even if you're just starting out but as fred says, if you can get FMJ for near the same money that's what I'd do, but I'd go a step further and get a good JHP like the ZERO's at ROZE Dist.
Yes, the kit comes with the Safety Prime system.

I've changed my shopping list to go for JHP's, Dial Calipers, Dillon Beam scale (I'll save wherever I can!) and the powder you guys suggested.

Now I need the tax return to get here!!

Remember: The 2nd amendment is the most important of our American rights. This is the only one that ensures the security of the rest.
DodgyWop is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
You're going to have sooo much more fun loading & shooting your own ammo.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #23
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Also remember, as Fred has often pointed out, that the difference in cost per month over merely adequate and superior equipment is miniscule. Given that you will have your reloading press and most tools for the rest of your life, and that it never gets cheaper to acquire, buying the best you can foresee using is true economy.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 80032
I would like some help on what to buy to start...single stage or progressive...what dies...scale...primers..powder..how to adjust...i want to reload but I keep puttin off my start up purchase till I know what to buy...I dont want to buy a press for it to collect dust till I learn how to use it...
So.Chi.Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Chi.Gunny View Post
I would like some help on what to buy to start...single stage or progressive...what dies...scale...primers..powder..how to adjust...i want to reload but I keep puttin off my start up purchase till I know what to buy...I dont want to buy a press for it to collect dust till I learn how to use it...
From the research I've done on the interwebs, it's really up to you, your budget and what you are comfortable with.

A majority of things I've seen say you should start with a single stage press as it helps prevent beginners from making mistakes.

The press I'm going with (Lee Classic Turret Press) -- isn't either. It's not a single stage, but it's not a progressive either. It's kind of an in-between.

Dies are dependent on the calibers you want to reload. I'm going with carbide dies so I don't have to worry about lube.

The scale I see that is popular is the RCBS 5-0-5 -- but as previously mentioned you can get the same scale for cheaper through Dillon.

Primers, powder, bullets and adjustments/measurements are all going to depend on the caliber you are reloading and it's relative information in your reloading manual (I hear Lyman's 49th edition is the way to go), as well as trial. As you saw earlier I was going to go with Alliant powders, but was suggested Winchester type powders as a beginner to allow some room for error. Your manual will tell you the different types and what kinds of calibers they are better for.

Keep in mind that I have yet to even get a reloading setup, this is all just information I've gathered through forums and videos as well as what fits my budget for getting started -- so take it with a grain of salt, but also realize that searching around should get you answers to any of your other questions.

Good luck!

Remember: The 2nd amendment is the most important of our American rights. This is the only one that ensures the security of the rest.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 86411
Started out around $550 with a lee classic and some powder and a couple set of dies and a few other basics. Now its one of those things i cant stop doing, so there have been some upgrades including: RCBS rock chucker press, Hornady digital auto powder dispenser, RCBS case trimmer, Lyman auto powder dispenser,
lots of primers, bullets, and cases. This turns into a stockpiled amount of highly accurate hard hitting ammo if you are willing to put the time into learning the process.
trentkoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Chi.Gunny View Post
Do the research first, get The ABCs & read it, get Speer or lyman manuals & read them. Then you hjave an understandin of the porcess & equip.
No, what are your needs? Very, very few shooters need a progressive fo any kind. It;s not very cost effective to buy a Bently to drive a block top the store. Same for a shooter. If yo uonly need 100rds a week, a progressive is a huge waste of money. Oh sure, nice to have, tell your budss about, but not very efficient.
It always comes down to time vs money when reloading. If you have tons of time & don't need more 200-300rds a week, a ss press is fine. You can poke along @ 50rds/hr, 1 hr a day, you have ammo for the weekend. That is exactly what I used to do. Then you start shooting some form of competition, at one point I was shooting 1500rds/m. Then the wife started shooting w/ me & it was 3000/m. So my time/volume needs far outstripped a ss press.
Time vs money. A ss press can get you about 75rds/hr max. A turret can double that for a little more money. Then you get into progressives. A good progressive will be trouble free & produce 450-1000rds / hr sustained, but it will cost you a lot more too. If that is the point, then IMO, nothing but a Dillon will do. The Hornady LNL is a good machine, but has problems. I wouldn't buy a Lee progressive, just too many issues. If the point is a lot of ammo fast, you don't buy a Lee. Most guys can barely get them to run & 400rs/hr is a dream for them. Cost again shouldn't be the driving point. You are saving so much on your ammo needs, buy the best gear you can & only buy once. Buy smart though. If you are never going to need 500rds/m & are retired, you are fine w/ a turret, ss or even a poor progressive like the Lee. After all, speed is not what you are really looking for.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42406
I'm on the lee turret band wagon here. Yes a progessive is nice. However for load development and small runs of ammo you can't beat the lee turret. My dad who runs a dillon progressive is getting a lee turret for this exact purpose and to rifle cartridges.

Oh I can run 270 cartridges in auto index mode on my turret provided the bullet is seated deep enough.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

So following up on this, I just picked up a Savage 116 in .300 Win Mag and would like to get a set of dies to reload this as well. Is there anything else I should be getting to add to my setup for rifle cartridges? I know I'll need to resize/trim/deburr etc, can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent kit for the money to do those?

As it stands, my shopping list is as follows:

Kempf Lee Classic Turret Press w/Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure
Lee .45 ACP Deluxe Pistol Die Set
Lee .40 S&W Deluxe Pistol Die Set
2 Extra Turrets
Lyman's 49th Edition Manual
Square Ratchet Gears
Kinetic Bullet Puller
Cabelas 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit
Lee Perfect Powder Measure (for the rifle cartridges)
Lee PaceSetter Rifle Dies .300 WSM
Dial Calipers
Dillon Eliminator Beam Scale

Basically, with the amount of equipment I'm getting, I want to be sure I've got all the equipment I need to reload .45 ACP, .40 S&W and .300 Win Mag - there's a lot to go through

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #30
XDTalk Member

Member #: 88072
I got my start with reloading .223 relatively cheap. I don't have the most precise of some pieces yet but I'm not loading match rounds anyway. I got a Lee hand press, which comes with a priming device, Lee hand trimmer, Lyman combo case prep tool, a cleaning solvent, RCBS die set, some calipers that were already at the house, and a digital scale. The weak link in it, both for precision and speed, in the scale as it is only accurate to +/- 0.2gr supposedly. However the whole setup suits my needs and came it at under $200, plus is 100% portable.
PainKillaX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

lee classic turret press kit

redding dies for .45 acp in turret press

Click on a term to search for related topics.