• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Relaoding - Cost to start

This is a discussion on Relaoding - Cost to start within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by DodgyWop Yeah, looking into this, I already planned on buying a tumbler, they aren't too expensive. I've also seen a lot of ...

Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgyWop View Post
Yeah, looking into this, I already planned on buying a tumbler, they aren't too expensive.

I've also seen a lot of people recommend that Lyman's manual. I'll probably grab that here in the next couple weeks.
I like the Lyman because it has data for jacketed & lead bullets. Since plated load between, it's an easy extrapolation.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 78347
Lee Classic Turret Press is a great start. My setup cost me roughly $600 for the press, .45acp and .223 dies, pro-auto disk powder measure, double disk kit, RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale, digital caliper, tumbler and Lee hand trimming/deburring setup. I can load about 100rnds an hour which is plenty for me for now. Great hobby, very relaxing.
eng811ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63099
I like the lee load master, lost of Youtube videos for things not covered in the manual lol. loaded 500ish rounds on my friends press (lee load master) and around 1000 on mine and it's way cool and worth the investment!!
Boominaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
I probably won't have a progressive until LEE brings one out based on the Classic Turret press. I get by very well with my REDDING Boss SS and the LEE Classic Turret. I think a LEE progressive based on the Classic Turret will be their best yet and comparable to progressives that are more expensive. I probably spend more time reloading than what's necessary to some, but I still enjoy it very much and it relaxes me.

Now, I have to admit my bias. Before I spend Dillon $, I'm much more apt to buy a new gun! There, I'm out of the closet!

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44993
I went and did some pricing on getting what I think will be a decent setup

A lot of the tools I'll get straight from Kempf...

Shopping list. Only going for pistol calibers right now. Will move to rifle later on (I shoot rifles FAR less and can just by factory)

Reloading Tools:

Kempf:

Kempf Lee Classic Turret Press w/Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure - $232.90
Lee .45 ACP Deluxe Pistol Die Set - $44.95
Lee .40 S&W Deluxe Pistol Die Set - $44.95
2nd 4 hole Turret - $11.95
Lyman's 49th Edition Manual - $23.95
Square Ratchet Gears - $2.00
Kinetic Bullet Puller - $16.92
Cabelas 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit - $69.99
RCBS Model 5-0-5 Scale - $94.99
Digital Calipers: $25.00

Materials (depending on availability):

.40 S&W:

Alliant Power Pistol Powder - 1lb - $16.99
CCI #500 1000 Count Primers - $29.99
Rainier Leadsafe Bullets 165gr Plated RNFP 500 Count - $63.99

.45 ACP:

Alliant Bullseye Powder - 1lb - $16.99
CCI #300 1000 Count Primers - $29.99
Rainier Leadsafe Bullets 200gr Plated Round Nose 500 Count - $65.99

Grand Total (without shipping): $791.54

Does that about cover it?

Remember: The 2nd amendment is the most important of our American rights. This is the only one that ensures the security of the rest.
DodgyWop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
XDTalk 10K Member

Keep in mind the cost of ammo & your time invested to make it. Even a high $$ Dillon 650 w/ everything is less than $1200. Over a 20yr shooting span, that is $5/month. Really, you do not have $5/m? Not that everyone needs a DIllon 650, my point is, don;t let the gear cost gt in the way, it's quite cheap when you start adding up the cost of factory ammo. Now with an ammo shortage, reloading is even more desireable because you always have ammo if you stock a reasonable amount of primers & powder.
Quote:
Shopping list. Only going for pistol calibers right now. Will move to rifle later on (I shoot rifles FAR less and can just by factory)
Forget the plated bullets. Precision Delta sells FMJ for what you pay for plated. Plated do NOT load like FMJ, & there is precious little plated bullet data. Yes you will have to order 2000, so what, they don't go bad. The only thing I do not buy in bulk is first time powder choice. If you hate it, you will have spent a lot of money to throw away 7# of powder. Buy 1# locally, try it, if you love it, then buy 8# in bulk to save money, always throw in at least 2K primers with your powder order. IMO, switch out the BE for W231. Noob reloaders need margin for error, BE offers little.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
Sounds like you've got it covered with a couple of exceptions. You didn't mention the LEE Safety Prime system so does it come with the press kit?

Also, spending $25 and expecting to get a good digital caliper won't work. It will be giving you false readings in short order. Get a DIAL caliper for the same money, it will probably be chinese, but in my experience they are still accurate and will stay that way a lot longer than a cheap digital.

Also, I think you can do better than Power Pistol for .40 S&W and Bullseye for .45 ACP. For .40, I'd get Ramshot Silhouette, True Blue or WSF. For .45 ACP, I'd get Ramshot ZIP, W231/HP38 or WST. These are all ball/spherical powders that will meter much better and perform better in general compared to the powders you list. As for bullets, I'd rather use cast lead than plated even if you're just starting out but as fred says, if you can get FMJ for near the same money that's what I'd do, but I'd go a step further and get a good JHP like the ZERO's at ROZE Dist.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:

Get the complete picture here:
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44993
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Keep in mind the cost of ammo & your time invested to make it. Even a high $$ Dillon 650 w/ everything is less than $1200. Over a 20yr shooting span, that is $5/month. Really, you do not have $5/m? Not that everyone needs a DIllon 650, my point is, don;t let the gear cost gt in the way, it's quite cheap when you start adding up the cost of factory ammo. Now with an ammo shortage, reloading is even more desireable because you always have ammo if you stock a reasonable amount of primers & powder.

Forget the plated bullets. Precision Delta sells FMJ for what you pay for plated. Plated do NOT load like FMJ, & there is precious little plated bullet data. Yes you will have to order 2000, so what, they don't go bad. The only thing I do not buy in bulk is first time powder choice. If you hate it, you will have spent a lot of money to throw away 7# of powder. Buy 1# locally, try it, if you love it, then buy 8# in bulk to save money, always throw in at least 2K primers with your powder order.
Wonderful info and exactly the things I want to know.

Thanks, you may have just saved me a headache

Remember: The 2nd amendment is the most important of our American rights. This is the only one that ensures the security of the rest.
DodgyWop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57K View Post

Also, spending $25 and expecting to get a good digital caliper won't work. It will be giving you false readings in short order. Get a DIAL caliper for the same money, it will probably be chinese, but in my experience they are still accurate and will stay that way a lot longer than a cheap digital.
And they always work! Nothing worse than reloading & your battery dies or like my FA, the thing just quits all together, never again. SS dial all the way, not digicool, but they always work.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgyWop View Post
Wonderful info and exactly the things I want to know.

Thanks, you may have just saved me a headache
Also, the Dillon beam scale is the same scale about $25 cheaper & blue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

lee classic turret press kit

redding dies for .45 acp in turret press

Click on a term to search for related topics.