• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.40 165 grain FN reload

This is a discussion on .40 165 grain FN reload within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I'm looking for reloading data using Accurate No 7 and 165 grain Rainier flat nose bullet. There seems to be limited information for No 7. ...

Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 83727
.40 165 grain FN reload

I'm looking for reloading data using Accurate No 7 and 165 grain Rainier flat nose bullet. There seems to be limited information for No 7.
It will be used my my XDM.

Thanks,
buzzwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
Just checked the Accurate data I have downloaded and you're right. Cast lead data jumps from 155 to 175 grs and the heaviest plated bullet they show data for is 155 grs. In this case you're kind of lucky because the jacketed 165 gr. bullet they list is the Sierra 165 gr. JHP which is a kind of worse case scenario type bullet because it has a long shank and higher coefficient of friction than many 165 gr. jacketed bullets. In this case I would use the start charge for the 165 gr. Sierra JHP @ 8.4 grs. or since the 165 is exactly halfway in weight between the 155 (8.7 gr.) and the 175 (7.6 gr.) cast bullets you might be able to start a tad lower at say 8.2 but I'd only load a few rounds (5-10) at that chargeweight to make sure the rounds will function the slide. In any case, I'd keep looking for data as this is just a starting point and doesn't give you a load range for the 165.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
The other apporach is to use heavier bullet data for the lighter 165gr bullet. You can always use heavier bullet data with lighter bullets. Since a plated bullet is NOT a lead or jacketed, it really loads between the two. So using lead data offers an even greater safety margin w/ plated bullets. I would use the midrange data for the 175gr LSWC & work that up, only because AA#7 doesn't like to run w/ light charge wts.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84847
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The other apporach is to use heavier bullet data for the lighter 165gr bullet. You can always use heavier bullet data with lighter bullets. Since a plated bullet is NOT a lead or jacketed, it really loads between the two. So using lead data offers an even greater safety margin w/ plated bullets. I would use the midrange data for the 175gr LSWC & work that up, only because AA#7 doesn't like to run w/ light charge wts.
fredj338 gave you excellent advice. IMO AA#5 would be a better choice in the .40.

XDm 45 Compact * XD-S 9 * Glock 26 Gen 3 * CZ P-01 * CZ 75B * Kimber Pro Crimson Carry * Ruger MKIII 22/45
777TRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
57K, Fred, and 777TRUTH have all given good advice here. See... the thing to remember when using any of the slower burning powders for a particular caliber is that they need enough pressure to operate correctly or you're gonna get very wide standard deviation numbers or extreme spread (in feet per second of velocity) numbers from the load. It just won't "light up" completely without a way to generate pretty good internal pressure for the caliber. That means that heavier bullets for the caliber and loadings in the upper 1/2 or more for the bullet weight are required to get the best effeciency from the slower powder.

So with the combination you are proposing of AA7 and the 165grn bullet in .40, as noted by the other esteemed members, you have to contend with two things.

1) You gotta run the gun! You need enough power to operate a semi-auto pistol with any reloading choice while staying within the safe limits of course.

2) You have to create enough pressure to make the load viable. In this case, as 777TRUTH pointed out, with that bullet, perhaps another powder would be a better choice, but AA7 has been used to good effect in this caliber.

If all you have is AA7, and 165grn bullets, you can certainly make it work, but hopefully you have a chronograph available to you to see when your experiments cross over into a range where your extreme spreads are reduced to a minimum and so your standard deviation numbers fall to acceptable limits like the low double digits (20 or below I would think for SD). This will indicate that the powder is burning more completely and consistently and will make for a safer load too. That is why there are "minimum" as well as "maximum" loadings for a particular combination as powders get squirrely when they operate outside their design limits.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.40 rainier 165 jhp load aa#7
165 gr lead data .40 n340
165 grain .40 projectiles
165 grain ranier load data n340
aa 7 in 40 sw

accurate #7 165 grain 40 caliber recipe

accurate #7 40 load data
accurate no 9 load data 40 cal
data for 40 s/w handlords 165 grain
load data .40 caliber 165 gr accurate #7
load data for 40 cal s&w 165 gr
load data for s&w 40 caliber 165 grain bullet accurate number 7
plated 165 gr 40 s&w loads
rainier 165 grain bullet 40 s&w
reloading accurate 7 in 40
reloading data 40 s&w 165 grain
Click on a term to search for related topics.