• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm 115 gr Winchester JHP load data

This is a discussion on 9mm 115 gr Winchester JHP load data within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I'm trying to find load data for the 115gr Winchester JHP. I'm new to reloading and when I purchased my equipment the dealer recommended Hogdon ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » 9mm 115 gr Winchester JHP load data

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80817
9mm 115 gr Winchester JHP load data

I'm trying to find load data for the 115gr Winchester JHP. I'm new to reloading and when I purchased my equipment the dealer recommended Hogdon HS6. I can't find any load data for that powder in the Lee manual or online. I also have some Alliant Red Dot that he recommended for 38 special/357 loads. Is that safe for 9mm 115 gr JHP?

Thanks for any help!
KYFlyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 14738
Here is some

9 mm Load Data - Handloads.Com=

Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith
"[I]f the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted. ... If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws." --Noah Webster
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks Gerry!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I have been using red dot in my 9mm loads for years. 124gr lead TC with 4.0 grains of red dot.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
KYFlyfisher, you can use Red Dot in 9mm but there are better choices, especially if you want to replicate factory load performance. Red Dot is one of the fastest burning propellants available to handloaders and has a very fast pressure peak if you load up to near or Max. charge level. If you only want to shoot light loads there are still better powders and about the fastest ones I'd use personally would be Ramshot ZIP or W231. They are more stable in high pressure loads. I just don't like to see newer reloaders using Red Dot in high pressure cartridges. On the other hand, HS-6 will easily allow you to produce factory load level velocity. I'd also recommend that you get some more reloading manuals. I'm not partial to the from LEE. Add a Lyman 49th edition or the Lyman Pistol & Revolver III. Or better yet, get both.

In .357 Magnum, there are better powders than HS-6, but since you have it you can use it. You just won't be able to produce velocities as high as what slower burning are capable of. For lighter JHP or cast lead loads it will work fine as well as in .38 Special but you'll need to use a small pistol magnum primer to reliably ignite it. I would stay away from Red Dot with the .38 Special or the .357 Magnum since you're just starting out. You could accidentally double-charge or even triple charge a case. Naturally you should pay very close attention when you are charging cases, but Red Dot adds an unnecessary risk. Use the HS-6 with a small pistol magnum primer since you already have HS-6.

For 9mm, .38 Sp. and .357 Magnum data go here: Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com They use a different bullet but you can still use the data because you always want to begin with a Start Charge and gradually work up from there as stated in the load manuals.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFlyfisher View Post
I'm trying to find load data for the 115gr Winchester JHP. I'm new to reloading and when I purchased my equipment the dealer recommended Hogdon HS6. I can't find any load data for that powder in the Lee manual or online. I also have some Alliant Red Dot that he recommended for 38 special/357 loads. Is that safe for 9mm 115 gr JHP?

Thanks for any help!
More loads:

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks everyone! I picked up the 49th edition Lyman book yesterday also.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27854
Use dglock's link to access the correct load data. This is the powder manufacture's (HS6) factory load data.

When using a search online for load data use the correct spelling

"Hodgdon" HS6 load data.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

115 grain jhp 9mm load data

115 jhp 9mm load data

115gr notched winchester 9mm loads

9mm 115 gr jhp with hs6

9mm red dot lead load data
alliant powder reloading for 115 grain 9mm bullets
load data for 9mm 115gr jhp bullet
red dot for 9mm hp

red dot load data 9mm hp

reloading 9mm 115 grain jhp

reloading 9mm with red dot

remington 115 jhp load
winchesster 115g jhp 9mm load data

winchester 115 gr 9mm jhp load data

winchester 9mm 115 hp

winchester 9mm 115gr jhp loads
Click on a term to search for related topics.