• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Finally made my first batch of live rounds

This is a discussion on Finally made my first batch of live rounds within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I know this is probably nothing to most of you guys but for me is a big step. Thanks to all of you that helped ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Finally made my first batch of live rounds

Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 71812
Finally made my first batch of live rounds

I know this is probably nothing to most of you guys but for me is a big step. Thanks to all of you that helped me along the way, especially Fred. I loaded 15 rounds of 9mm with 147gr using Clays at the lowest range in the book at 1.9grs. Im pretty confident in the quality of what I made because I checked, double checked, and triple checked, and made quite a few dummy rounds before I ever opened the powder. Even at that I will not shoot the first couple out of my XDM. The first couple will be shot out of my first 9mm, S&W SVE9. If everything goes well then I will put them in my XDM. I know it seems like a very light load but that is what Im looking for. I will get out one day this week and test them out. I will post results after testing. Thanks again guys.
fedmanshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 67526
Thinking about starting myself. What is the cost to get a mid grade setup that will load 3 different calibers? Just looking for a rough estimate to get all the parts and pieces to be a productive reloader.
Xds 45
Browning highpower
Sw 357
Sw bodyguard 380
Mark III
SR 22
Every shotgun and rifle you can think of
NVshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedmanshooter View Post
I know this is probably nothing to most of you guys but for me is a big step. Thanks to all of you that helped me along the way, especially Fred. I loaded 15 rounds of 9mm with 147gr using Clays at the lowest range in the book at 1.9grs. Im pretty confident in the quality of what I made because I checked, double checked, and triple checked, and made quite a few dummy rounds before I ever opened the powder. Even at that I will not shoot the first couple out of my XDM. The first couple will be shot out of my first 9mm, S&W SVE9. If everything goes well then I will put them in my XDM. I know it seems like a very light load but that is what Im looking for. I will get out one day this week and test them out. I will post results after testing. Thanks again guys.
Is this correct? 1.9 gr of clays with a 147 gr bullet?
If so, don't shoot them because the first one will not make it out of the gun barrel and the second one will get stuck behind the first one and cause a blow up.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 27854
If anyone else is loading clays, jump in here with your load data for 9mm, 147 gr bullet. What is your minimum charge of clays for this bullet?

Fedmanshooter, where did you find load data for 1.9 gr?
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69973
That is an extremely light load, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. A true squib that will leave a bullet in the barrel generally has no powder at all, just a primer. Even the primer will drive a bullet an inch or more down the barrel (want to guess how I know that?). However, I would not be surprised if it fails to cycle the gun. Clays is a very fast powder to use behind a heavy 9mm bullet. If the gun fails to cycle, just load up another batch at 2.0 or 2.1 grs until you get some reliability. Be careful on the high end as 0.3gr of Clays can make a big difference in pressure. You may be happier buying some lighter bullets to use with that powder.

Welcome to reloading. Have fun and be safe.
scotty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I've never used Clays but it's a freaking fast burner. Faster than Titegroup. Personally I wouldn't use it as a first powder for a newbie.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
fedmanshooter, I would sure consider using a different powder, especially since you're a new reloader. What I would recommend is a slower burning powder that would overflow or near overflow in case you accidentally double-charged a cartridge case. One I like is Ramshot Silhouette because it was designed for higher performance rounds like the 9mm. It burns fairly clean, meters well, has very low muzzleblast and will provide good case fill.

I understand that you're trying to load to a mild level but you don't have to use an ultra-fast powder to accomplish that. Many times a slower burning powder will provide very good accuracy at start charges or at barely above a start charge. Velocity is lower so the load is milder and if later on you decide you want more performance, it's just a matter of increasing the powder charge. With Clay's you are very limited in this regard. I don't worry about economy when selecting a powder because it's already your lowest cost factor outside of brass that can be reloaded over and over again.

You can get a lot of recommendations for powder but as a new reloader the best ones will be those that will overflow the case if double charged. I use ball powders exclusively in handgun loads because they are denser than their flake counterparts. They are almost always better in powder charge consistency because of the density of the smaller grain size and tend to have less muzzleblast. fredj338 recommends WSF quite a bit and it would meet all of the requirements I mentioned.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Not a big CLays fan, specially in high pressure rds, but I find it more sueful than TG for bunny fart loads, better bulk/volume/loft. It DOES pressures spike as you get to the top end, so caution when going above midrange is prudent. Heavier bullets make a pressures pike more likely too, be extra prudent.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayikeo2 View Post
Is this correct? 1.9 gr of clays with a 147 gr bullet?
If so, don't shoot them because the first one will not make it out of the gun barrel and the second one will get stuck behind the first one and cause a blow up.
That is the min in the lYman manual for a lead bullet. That could actually be too low if using a plated & certainly too low for a jacketed bullet. The risk of a squib goes up there. I hope fedman has a really good scale. THis is why I don't like or recommend such powders, especially to noobs. You'll probably find the load performs better closer to 2.4gr. The longer/heavier bullets need some vel to stabilize, I am not sure sub 700fps is going to get it done.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61041
After a lot of tinkering, I came up with a load that my XD9sc loves. It is extremely accurate (far more accurate than the bozo holding the pistol) and fun to shoot. I understand the big step you're taking. It was a big step for me to shoot off my first reloads and even bigger when I narrowed it down to a great load. I love shooting great groups at the range knowing that I have surpassed any factory load I ever shot in accuracy and managed recoil. Enjoy that feeling and hope that it never goes away!

That said, I don't load with Clays so I'll defer to the other folks on load data. I will say, though, that it's still a big thrill shooting rounds I loaded myself.
sbrader is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
147 gr bullet 1.9 gr clays
147gr 9mm bullets use slow burning powder
45acp wsf load data

9mm 147gr fast or slow powder

clays powder mix for 9mm rounds

fast or slow burn powder for 9mm 147

larger grain bullet with fast burning powder to achieve slower velocity xdm
load data for 9mm alloy bullets
ramshot silhouette 9mm
reload data for 1.9 inch
reloading powder charges for the bg380
silhouette 147 gr load data?

winchester wsf load data

wsf double charge 9mm
wsf powder data
Click on a term to search for related topics.