• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm PD 124g JHP Loads

This is a discussion on 9mm PD 124g JHP Loads within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hi everyone I have an XD-SC in 9mm that i'm loading for. I've previously used berry's plated 115 grain bullets using 4.3-4.6 grains of bullseye ...

Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 71690
9mm PD 124g JHP Loads

Hi everyone

I have an XD-SC in 9mm that i'm loading for. I've previously used berry's plated 115 grain bullets using 4.3-4.6 grains of bullseye powder with an OAL of 1.125". They seem do fine but I have not tried any other length, powder, charge comparisons for accuracy.

I'm going to buy more primers this weekend and possibly different powder if there is a strong suggestion for use in the XD.

Do you guys suggest a certain powder/charge/OAL for this bullet in the XD?

Also, is there a general sweet spot for velocity/charge that I should be aiming for? (is there an advantage to loading toward the lower or upper charge range)

Thanks,
Nick
nicholaschase29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47002
COL: I like to use as long a COL as I can that fits the magazine and feeds and chambers. COL is something you need to play with if accuracy is important. If not, and the ammo works, then there is no need to consider a COL change. Your COL is about mid-range and will probably work in many different guns.
Powder: Most people today judge a powder by how much it costs and how "dirty" their gun gets. Bullseye falls into the "dirty" powder category.
For 9x19, I prefer Silhouette and HS6 (for near max loads) and WSF, AA5, and 231/HP38 for light to mid-range loads. AA5 seems to about the most accurate for all loads except full power. AA5 and Silhouette are also VERY good in .40S&W.
Velocity: 1100-1200 fps for 115gn bullets, but your gun may like them lighter or hotter. 9x19 guns are very different in what they like.
Bullets: Any bullet except plated. Buy a box or two of Montana Gold 115gn JHP or 124gn JHP. Fantastic bullets, with cost inline with plated. I prefer cast lead over plated in ALL my 9x19s. Bulk purchases are your friend.
If your present load is fine, there is no need to change. If you are interested in "improving" things, we would need to know what you want to improve.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Like Noylj says, what you are trying to acheive is important to knowing what to suggest. In general, however, especially with 115grn bullets in 9mm, you should be loading more towards the upper end of the data for those bullets as weaker loads may not fully cycle the slide and cause various malfunctions.

124grn and greater will be a bit less picky about operating the slide, but a power factor of at least 125-130 and up with any bullet and powder combination will be most likely to function better in a 9mm. Power factor is bullet weight X velocity / 1000. So a 115grn bullet would have to be going 1086fps at the absolute MINIMUM to acheive the power factor necessary to run the gun. In a car you put in the gasoline of the correct octane to run the car. In a gun, you put in the cartridge of the correct power to run the gun.

I'm sure someone here will argue with what I said, but it's been my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64137
I don't currently reload, but I have shot a friend's 124gr JHP reload through my XD9sc. He tended to load them with a bit less powder, and I found they wouldn't always reliably cycle. I forget the brand of powder, but the load was around 4.3, if that helps.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks for the tips! I know ultimately i have to try different combos to see what I like best and what the gun likes best. I'm just wondering if anyone shoots 124g PD JHP in their xd-sc and can give me their favorite/accurate load for target shooting so I can have a starting point. Like I said i've only tried the bullseye combo.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 14738
I reload for my XD's, SC and 4" service 9mm

I use Precision delta 124 gr RN bullets, 4.2 grs of Titegroup and CCI or Winchester primers

OAL is I recall is 1130...

This combo shoots well in my guns
"[I]f the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted. ... If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws." --Noah Webster
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschase29 View Post
Hi everyone

I have an XD-SC in 9mm that i'm loading for. I've previously used berry's plated 115 grain bullets using 4.3-4.6 grains of bullseye powder with an OAL of 1.125". They seem do fine but I have not tried any other length, powder, charge comparisons for accuracy.

I'm going to buy more primers this weekend and possibly different powder if there is a strong suggestion for use in the XD.

Do you guys suggest a certain powder/charge/OAL for this bullet in the XD?

Also, is there a general sweet spot for velocity/charge that I should be aiming for? (is there an advantage to loading toward the lower or upper charge range)

Thanks,
Nick
BE would be a 2nd to last choice for me in any service caliber, TG is my last choice. It's just cruddy/dirty & burns far too fast IMO for rounds like the 9mm or 40. TG, too fast & too samll a charge volume for most calibers. W231/HP38 is a better tool as are about 6 other powders. WSF is a fine medium burner in the 9mm & 40.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 70990
What works in one gun may not work in another.

My Series 70 .45 acp doesn't like short loads. Ammo that feeds through any other 1911 I own may not work in the series 70.

My Browning BDM (9mm) wouldn't reliably feed my 147 grain lead reloads. My 5.25" XDM eats them like candy, one after another, magazine after magazine. Same loads in both guns, one works, the other doesn't (actually I tried several different seating depths in the BDM, it just didn't like the truncated cone lead bullets.)

If I have a gun that has issues I measure a factory load and try that length. No luck there, I try a different bullet style.
M1A4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

I picked up some HP-38. We'll see how it works out.

Looking in my manual for SP, TMH, and GD-HP it shows an COL of 1.260 and a max load of 5.3 grains and min of 4.8 of WIN231.

Is this a good starting point? I have read 231 is the same as HP-38 so i selected that data. I know the 1.125 COL worked well in my gun, should i change to 1.260 or continue with 1.125 to start?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
I have found this to work in all my 9mm, from my XD SC, Service, XD(M) 3.8, 4.5 & 5.25, CZ, Glocks, Berretta. It meets USPSA's Minor 125 Power Factor, last average was 129 out of my 5.25. I like the 124 gr bullets over the 115 gr, want to try 147 some day.

124 gr Precision Delta RN, 4.3 gr Win 231, OAL 1.150

Yes, HP-38 is a few bucks cheaper (normally) and the same as Winchester 231. That load data seems a little hot to me, but I'm use to loading 124 gr not 115 gr bullets, I would start on the low side of those numbers you found.

The max OAL for 9mm Luger of 1.169. So don't go 1.2xx, I usually set them to 1.145 - 1.155, you could stay at 1.125 if your gun seems to like that. The lower the Overall Length, the more internal pressure you are creating, I found 1.150 to be a good balance. Load 10 - 20 different rounds and try them out, start on the low side for powder and work your way up if needed. Your not going to find that perfect match on the Internet, get some good starting points from many sources and learn what works for your grip, your gun, etc. Do you have a Chronograph, are you crimping your rounds, how are you testing accuracy, with a rest and bench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschase29 View Post
I picked up some HP-38. We'll see how it works out.

Looking in my manual for SP, TMH, and GD-HP it shows an COL of 1.260 and a max load of 5.3 grains and min of 4.8 of WIN231.

Is this a good starting point? I have read 231 is the same as HP-38 so i selected that data. I know the 1.125 COL worked well in my gun, should i change to 1.260 or continue with 1.125 to start?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

124g jhp 9mm load data

6 grains of longshot 124 grain 9mm load
9mm 124g bullseye
9mm jhp low flash
9mm major load data long shot
imr 7625 and 115gn load data
loads for 124 rain 9mm and wsf
longshot 124 gr 9mm load

longshot 9mm 124

nobody has info for jhp 9mm 124g oal reloads
precision delta 124g hp oal
sierra 125 grain 9mm jhp loading overall lenght
silhoutte
winchester 231 9mm 124 load
winchester 231 9mm loads 124 gr jhp
wsf in 9mm with 124 jhp
Click on a term to search for related topics.