• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Titegroup + 45 ACP 230 gr Plated. Need Help.

This is a discussion on Titegroup + 45 ACP 230 gr Plated. Need Help. within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by M27 I have not used WST but I have used 231, It is good for slower velocities but I personally don't like ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Titegroup + 45 ACP 230 gr Plated. Need Help.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22307
Quote:
Originally Posted by M27 View Post

I have not used WST but I have used 231, It is good for slower velocities but I personally don't like it much for 45
231 is one of the dirtiest powders for reduced loads in any caliber.
Most all powders will burn cleaner when the pressures are higher.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
M27
XDTalk Member

Member #: 75999
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterj View Post
231 is one of the dirtiest powders for reduced loads in any caliber.
Most all powders will burn cleaner when the pressures are higher.
I agree, titegroup is the same way. Clean when hot, dirty when slow. But max loads of 231 with a 230gn bullet may not or barely reaches 800fps is what I was trying to explain.
M27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by M27 View Post
I agree, titegroup is the same way. Clean when hot, dirty when slow. But max loads of 231 with a 230gn bullet may not or barely reaches 800fps is what I was trying to explain.
Says who? I have run a few #s of W231 in the day, it easily makes ball equiv 830fps w/o getting to max. TG will reach max pressures sooner than W231 in most calibers.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75615
w231

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Says who? I have run a few #s of W231 in the day, it easily makes ball equiv 830fps w/o getting to max. TG will reach max pressures sooner than W231 in most calibers.
+1 on that. I don't know what he's be smokin but just about every champion shooter in 45 uses or has used W231, They may use WST now but if you ask them not one pro will say anything bad about W231. check your speer manual says 230grn gold dot 6.2 grns for 858fps hummm sounds good to me.
oldgunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgunfan View Post
+1 on that. I don't know what he's be smokin but just about every champion shooter in 45 uses or has used W231, They may use WST now but if you ask them not one pro will say anything bad about W231. check your speer manual says 230grn gold dot 6.2 grns for 858fps hummm sounds good to me.
Agreed. The Hodgdon site that shows 832 and 834 for LRN and FMJ FP. My results with 230gr RN plated are ~750fps at 5.2 and 815-820 at 5.6. Lyman suggests 849fps at a 5.8 max load.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52553
I have to agree with the group of people that aren't so impressed by Titegroup. I bought a pound to try it out in my 9mm with 125gr. bullets. While it is okay it does not group as well as the Unique loads I used. I like the Unique powder for my 40cal. 165 grain bullets and like I said earlier the 9 with 125gr. bullets. On the plus side for Titegroup it sure does meter well with spot check loads rarely being more than a tenth of a grain off of where I set it. I am pretty sure I have bought my last pound of TG and will use it with the 9mm until it is gone.
yoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteman View Post
I have to agree with the group of people that aren't so impressed by Titegroup. I bought a pound to try it out in my 9mm with 125gr. bullets. While it is okay it does not group as well as the Unique loads I used. I like the Unique powder for my 40cal. 165 grain bullets and like I said earlier the 9 with 125gr. bullets. On the plus side for Titegroup it sure does meter well with spot check loads rarely being more than a tenth of a grain off of where I set it. I am pretty sure I have bought my last pound of TG and will use it with the 9mm until it is gone.
Never too late to come over from the dark side. Put the TG on the table & back away. Good job, now go buy some WST.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #18
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Like others have mentioned, Titegroup runs REALLY hot compared to other powders. In a long course of fire, I once melted off a front sight using it in .40 cal. I had bought an 8lb jug of the stuff a few years ago on the advice of some IPSC guys and I still have over 7lbs of it left! I now use it only for minor if I am going to use up some of those "green" leadless primers I got during the "primer crises" a couple of years ago. It will work with those when other powders will not reliably light up.

WST is pretty good... but reverse temperature sensitive, so if you load towards the max and you shoot when it is near freezing it may be a bit over max pressure. Outside of that, it burns clean, works well with lead bullets, and meters pretty well. I tend more towards medium speed powders, of which there are plenty to choose from.

As to the fellow who got tumbling from his plated bullets... The only time I have heard of this happening was when the bullet was over-crimped, thus breaking the plating when the bullet was fired. Over-crimping a plated bullet plays havoc with the thin plating and should be avoided. In most cases, you only want to return the case diameter at the mouth to factory spec. The case itself, if properly sized, will hold the bullet in place without relying on the case mouth for extra grip.

But... Like Fred said, since the price of plated bullets is nearly the same or indeed greater than some jacketed bullets, it seems likely that most people will opt for the jacketed ones in most instances. Plain ol' lead bullets work just fine too, and are a lot cheaper whether bought or self cast. In a .45 for target work, lead is hard to beat!

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
But... Like Fred said, since the price of plated bullets is nearly the same or indeed greater than some jacketed bullets, it seems likely that most people will opt for the jacketed ones in most instances. Plain ol' lead bullets work just fine too, and are a lot cheaper whether bought or self cast. In a .45 for target work, lead is hard to beat!
If ever there was a semiauto designed to shoot lead bullets, it's the 45acp/ The pressure & vel is right in the sweet spot for terrific results & little fuss getting there. Not only are the bullets cheaper, you are also using less pwoder for each round, so your shooting is cheaper still. Cast your own, you shoot cheaper than 22lr. Casting though is going the way of other dinosaur hobbies though as cheap/free lead is disapearing quickly. Yep, thank a liberal for that one too.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Never too late to come over from the dark side. Put the TG on the table & back away. Good job, now go buy some WST.
Fred, you are correct, I should just shelf it and forget it. My Dad grew up during the depression and he would never allow anything like that. The stuff does make the gun go boom and the lead go forward. If he were still alive he would tell me what a fool I was for not using it. As long as it does that I am willing to put up with the stuff. Loaded about 500 rounds with it so far and unfortunately still have a good bunch of it yet to go. I guess it is inspiring me to shoot more just to use it up. Perhaps I have a little, or maybe a lot of my Dad in me.
yoteman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

230, 45 acp, plated, titegroup

Search tags for this page

.45 acp handloads using titegroup powder

230gr plated titegroup idpa 2014
45 acp 230gr oregon trail tightgroup
45 acp load using 230 gr berrys vs 200 gr lead swc

45 acp loads using titegroup

45 acp tightgroup loads

45 acp titegroup load data

berrys 230 gr hybrid hp review
loading data .45 acp titegroup
powders 45 acp titegroup
reload recipe tite group, lead 230gr, 45acp
titegroup 230 gr plated
titegroup 45 230 xtreme

titegroup load data 45 acp

wst data xtreme 45 copper plated 230
x-treme bullets 230 gr data
Click on a term to search for related topics.