• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First timer needing some info please! Hornady LNL parts list for 45 acp.

This is a discussion on First timer needing some info please! Hornady LNL parts list for 45 acp. within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; The only recommendation I would change from your list is the tumbler. Go with a cheaper tumbler like a Frankford Arsenal....

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » First timer needing some info please! Hornady LNL parts list for 45 acp.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34606
The only recommendation I would change from your list is the tumbler. Go with a cheaper tumbler like a Frankford Arsenal.
Rugby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 71501
So here is what my "WISH" list is comprised of so far:

I already have calipers and mics
Hornady LNL press : $395 @ Midway
Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Nitride 45 acp 3 die set : $43 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Die .451 : $10 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Linkage : $7 @ Midway
Hornady Shellplate #45 : $31 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Easy Case Tumbler : $53 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Scale : $37 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller : $15 @ Midway

Total : $591 plus tx & shipping

Any recommendations on tumbling media?

Last edited by kjackson_82; 06-24-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Changed a few things.
kjackson_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48303
Beginner Reloading 45 ACP

I just got my Hornady LNL AP about a month ago. I also Bought the Hornady vibrator tumbler and really like it. It has a switch and is fairly quiet compared to other tumblers. I also got the Hornady electronic scale. I like it because I can zero out the weight of a case with primer installed. That makes it convenient to set the correct weight powder charge. I bought the RCBS inertia bullet puller and used it several times. It works great. As far as case prep for pistols, listen to the more experienced guys here. I have used all range brass for my 45 ACP and the only case prep so far has been cleaning in the tumbler. I loaded about 500 rounds so far with no problems. I have the Hornady reloading manual. When I was buying my reloading gear the Hornady 45 ACP taper dies were on back order so I got Redding carbide dies. They work great. I have some Hornady dies in different caliber and they also work great.
CZ 75B stainless, CZ 2075, Ruger LC9
cebur19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

Updated the list and worked on getting the price down some. I will get the press through Midway but try and save as much as possible shopping around for the other cheaper items. I want Midway's customer support for back up on the press! I have the ABC's of reloading, Reloading for Handguns, and Hornady Reloading Manual on order. Should be in by Wed.

So here is what my "WISH" list is comprised of so far:

I already have calipers and mics
Hornady LNL press : $395 @ Midway
Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Nitride 45 acp 3 die set w/ taper: $43 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Die .451 : $10 @ Midway
Hornady Quick Change Powder Through Expander Linkage : $7 @ Midway
Hornady Shellplate #45 : $31 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Easy Case Tumbler : $53 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Scale : $37 @ Midway
Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller : $15 @ Midway

Total : $591 plus tx & shipping

Any recommendations on tumbling media?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39205
I have the powder thru exp die, made my own linkage. But you don't need it unless you are adding a separate crimp die and using a lockout die, which I do, but you don't have either on your list. Lnl has five stations so 3 dies + powder = 1 empty.
other forums I like: rugerforum.net canadiangunnutz.com
XD9 service and XDs45, a few other brands around here someplace (wink)
CdnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Ok, so I was just reading up on the lock out dies and trying to figure out the difference in the hornady cop die vs RCBS lock out die. I have come to the conclusion that the RCBS lock out die would be the best buy. So if I add the lock out die, that still leaves me with an empty slot? And if so, what would you put in the open slot? Anything? or should I not use the powder thru expander? And if not, how do I expand the case for the bullet?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 2677
My neighbor has the lock out die and the Hornady one. Uses one on each of two different LNL's. The RCBS is far better IHO. But I can't remember if they both do rifle. Something tells me they won't but can't remember. If that's important to you check into that as well.

If you go the powder through die you can seat and crimp in different stages if you want to, but you'd need to buy an additional die. It makes setting up a little easier. A single seating/crimping die can be a bit tricky to set up for a novice.

Quote:
Again, if you do not vote, you are part of the problem. If you vote Democrat, you ARE the problem.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson_82 View Post
Ok, so I was just reading up on the lock out dies and trying to figure out the difference in the hornady cop die vs RCBS lock out die. I have come to the conclusion that the RCBS lock out die would be the best buy. So if I add the lock out die, that still leaves me with an empty slot? And if so, what would you put in the open slot? Anything? or should I not use the powder thru expander? And if not, how do I expand the case for the bullet?
the 3 die set is resize/decap, expander, and seat/crimp. That second die expands case for bullet. Powder drop makes four stations.

The RCBS lockout die physically locks the press if detects double charge or no charge. It is more money, and you must set it for each caliber/charge, but I went with it because all the other powder cops just give a visual indication. I figured a cop is no better than visual that I was already doing - look in every case under a good light to confirm powder, still do after the lockout and just before seating. I just like the extra check that the lockout die gives, even if not absolutely necessary.

When I started reloading, I was doing 9mm FMJ, so I just went simplest with the combined seat /crimp die that is standard in 3 die sets. Same when I started 45, but when I got into 45 lead had trouble with the crimp so bought a separate crimp die, then backed the seat/crimp die out so it just does seat. I already had the RCBS lockout die for my logic explained above, so I had to combine powder and expander to make room for separate crimp.

Anyway, suggest you start simple, 3 dies plus powder = 4. Leave 5th open or add the lockout if you agree with me about extra safety, but beware that you still need to look into each case before bullet.
other forums I like: rugerforum.net canadiangunnutz.com
XD9 service and XDs45, a few other brands around here someplace (wink)
CdnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
XDTalk Newbie

I really like the idea of seating and crimping in different stages. I would think you would get a more accurate seat and possibly result in a better crimp as well. And if it is easier to setup than that sounds like the route I need to take!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

45 acp, beginner reloading, equipment, hornady

Search tags for this page
best 45 cal dies for hornady lnl
best die set loading 45 acp on hornady lock n load ap press

best reloading dies for 45 acp for hornady lnl

hornaday parts prices

hornady .45 acp reloading dies

hornady 45 acp dies

hornady custom grade 45 dies

hornady lnl parts diagram

hornady lock n load ap 45 acp dies
hornady lock n load ap for beginner
hornady lock n load ap press needs
hornady lock n load ap replacement parts

hornady quick change powder through expander linkage

what do i need to start reloading 45acp in hornady lnl

xdtalk hornady list

Click on a term to search for related topics.