• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Making Hard Cast Bullets

This is a discussion on Making Hard Cast Bullets within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I'm entertaining the thought of making my own hard cast bullets. I have unlimited access to lead wheel weights for doing this. I'm getting ready ...

Old 07-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10769
Making Hard Cast Bullets

I'm entertaining the thought of making my own hard cast bullets. I have unlimited access to lead wheel weights for doing this. I'm getting ready to research the process of turning the lead to hard cast. Anyone's thoughts on how to do this ?

Also, I'm looking for opinions on whether or not this adventure into making my own bullets is even worth doing compared to the current prices of hard cast bullets. Normally I buy the 200gr SWC's for about $23.00 per 500.

This will be for .40, .45acp and .44 mag pistol sizes.

Last edited by Straight-Shooter; 07-12-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Straight-Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6147
first what will you be loading them for, pistol, rifle? if its pistol you dont need to make them to terribly hard, you can do it cheap especialy if lead is free.

i clean wheel weights in an old cast iron pot on a coleman stove, pour ingots, then i use a lee botom pour furnace and lee molds.

on a saturday afternoon i can drop 500 or so bullets in a few hours interchanging 2 double cavity molds. usualy 250 grain 44 mag bullets and 200 grain swc's for 45 acp.

to keep it cheap use lee sizing dies and lee tumble lube or make a tumble lube of your own.

lube light size and lube light again, very light it dosnt take much, i just pour some warm tumble lube into a ziplock add bullets and slide them around.

i have started using some gascheck bullets because i push the 44 mag to hard to keep leading down without it, then lube, push on a gascheck, size and relube.

the only reason you see lee so much is its cheap and it works, but if you can get other stuff used, free or cheap take it, but i hightly suggest a bottom pour furnace to make casting quicker and less of a hassel.

lyman cast bullet handbook has a boatload of useful info.
creepyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10769
Alrighty then, that sounds like a good start to all this. Appreciate your time with your reply. If I get this straight before making any orders for the supplies, this is what I'll need to get started.

Lee 4 cavity Ingot mold
Lee 2 or 6 cavity bullet mold
Lee bullet lube
Lee Production Pot Furnace with bottom pour
Lee Size Kit for the appropriate size bullet
Lee Lead Dipper

Another question that just come to mind is I find that most hard cast bullets have a lube groove in them. Does the Lee mold produce a SWC bullet that has a lube groove and if so what kind of Lube or wax type substance do I need to fill this groove ?

Last edited by Straight-Shooter; 07-12-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Straight-Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 11468
Bullet casting is a whole other skill-set from reloading. I suggest you get the Lyman bullet casting handbook and give it a read before you get in any deeper.

-H.L. Mencken
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6147
if you want you can skip the ingot mold and use an old muffin tin or something like that,

i suggest starting with a 2 cavity mold to ease of learning but thats just my opinion.

the lee bullet lube you get a bottle with each sizing die so you dont need to purchase that seperatly.

i use scrap or block wax or sawdust for fluxing, aka removing junk and keeping the good stuff in the mix with the lead. stir to scoop air into your lead it will float the dirt and junk to the top of the lead, its easy to scoop off with an old spoon or dipper and even better one of those handheld steel mesh strainer things for tea or something, i duno what it realy is i just use it for WW cleanup lol.

Rico567 is right the lyman handbook is very handy but dont let it overcomplicate the process. i dont use a thermomiter yet but i plan on getting one and i have been casting for 4 or 5 years now without one.

saftey tips, WATER is BAD, water in melted lead equals flyilng lead and hot lead in the face ect. can be painful or worse.

open air, i cast outside in a slightly covered area with a fan to suck the fumes away from me, dont eat or drink with lead around, and promptly wash your hands, better yet take a shower after your done casting.

the lee reloading manual has a little info on casting its what i started with and i managed to figure it out with that book and online forums.
creepyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 5724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567
Bullet casting is a whole other skill-set from reloading. I suggest you get the Lyman bullet casting handbook and give it a read before you get in any deeper.
Definitly get this book. It gives an excellent primer into the world of casting.

How much do you mean by unlimited Straight-Shooter? I would be interested in buying a few hundred pounds off ya if you can really get your hands on alot.

I don't have any local sources for lead and I figured out I would need ~190 lbs of weights to pay for the cost of the casting equipment so thats what I've been waiting for.. that and USPS has one rate boxes now so you can ship 50 lbs of weights for like $8

send me an email if you're interested:

sanuminous at gmail.com
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
how hard does cast lead bulletsneed to be for rifles
how to hard cast bullets
how to hard cast lead bullets
how to make a lead bullet hard
how to make cast bullets harder

how to make hard cast bullets

how to make hard cast lead bullets

how to make hardcast bullet
how to make hardcast bullets
how to make lead bullets harder
how to make lead cast bullets
how to make lead hard
how to make lead harder
making 2part cast lead bullets

making hard cast bullets

making lead harder for casting
Click on a term to search for related topics.