• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Before Asking (or Answering) "What Ammo Should I Buy/Use?"

This is a discussion on Before Asking (or Answering) "What Ammo Should I Buy/Use?" within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; "I just got a new gun; what kind of ammo should I get for it, and what do you guys use? What's the BEST?" This ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Before Asking (or Answering) "What Ammo Should I Buy/Use?"

Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Before Asking (or Answering) "What Ammo Should I Buy/Use?"

"I just got a new gun; what kind of ammo should I get for it, and what do you guys use? What's the BEST?"

This question, or one very closely resembling it, is probably the number one question asked in any gun related forum.

And I understand why people ask it; there are a LOT of new shooters coming into the fold (which is a good thing; let us never forget that), and they only want to be able to have enjoyable, trouble-free shooting sessions--just like the rest of us.

That being said, we also need to realize that such a question is akin to going onto a car forum and asking "I just bought a new car; what brand of fuel is best for it?"...

Not many people would do this; then again, most people have been driving for a good long while, and know that, for the most part, it's all pretty much the same...but we may find that out vehicle prefers one brand over another, while somebody else's identical car prefers something else.

Guess what--the exact same thing applies to guns and brands of ammunition.

That's right--just because my (for example) Glock gobbles up Tula ammo with aplomb, doesn't mean that yours won't choke on it. Or my XD won't feed WWB worth a damn, doesn't mean that yours won't love it.

Regardless of make, model, barrel length, or even frame color/slide finish.

So...what do we need to do?

BUY AMMO. SHOOT AMMO IN OUR OWN GUN. LEARN FOR OURSELVES.

How can that be a bad thing? Buy a few different brands, see what your gun likes, and what YOU like--hey, maybe you'll find that one's just a little more accurate than another..and anyway, you're spending time at the range shooting...can you say BONUS?

Now--notice in the title, I mentioned answering these questions as well?

Yep--I'm talkin' to you, old timers.

Guess what--by telling them what works in your gun, you aren't helping them. Sure, the odds are, their pistol will ike the same ammo as yours just fine...but maybe it doesn't. And, if ten people answer, there's like to be five or six different brands of ammo mentioned...at least. Not really helpful.

No, we need to be encouraging people to learn for themselves. When they post that they've had issues with a certain brand, it really doesn't make sense for us to say "Well, I've never had problems with it!"--because that really doesn't matter (and yes, I've done this myself...mea culpa). We should suggest they try something else. Spend some more time at the range.

Again--never a bad concept.

It's similar to the defensive ammo questions that come up a lot--mainly there, people what to know what's best....the answer to which, of course, is there is no "best"...but there are some that are better than others. None of which matters if they aren't reliable in YOUR gun in YOUR hands...so, again, buy a box or two, and see what YOUR pistol shoots, instead of what MY pistol shoots.

I know this won't stop these questions from being asked. But, maybe, hopefully, it may change how they're answered.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 56050
nice rant

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935" Th
Lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Old Timer

Member #: 56490
A good post. I'll take a stab at answering in a different style for TARGET ammo (SD ammo brings in a whole new set of requirements).

Try the cheapest ammo you can find regularly that meets the requirements of the range(s) you frequent. I shoot indoors at two ranges. They both require FMJ w/Brass.

If that ammo doesn't work in your gun, buy the next cheapest, keep going until you find a brand that works in your gun reliably.

Fortunately, my XDM has never had a failure in the 1700 rounds I've put through it. I've shot 4 different brands of FMJ/Brass (Monarch, Winchester, PMC, Federal)

The same can't be said for my Bersa Thunder .380, it seems to prefer round nose bullets, the flat nose bullets have a tendency to fail to feed.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Fine! Will you at least tell me what the best lube is?!?!?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rod View Post
Fine! Will you at least tell me what the best lube is?!?!?
KY.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoguls View Post
KY.
Don't drop the soap
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
CUda, having a bad Friday my friend? My rule for the week; "nothing gets in the way of being Friday"?.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Old Timer

Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 37645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoguls View Post
Make it stop
shutup&shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8238
I always point folks to the link about Best Self Defense Ammunition when someone asks about that type of ammo.

It gives a lot of good data and explains why.

I still think that should be stickied at the top.
benp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
how to know what kind of ammo to buy
powder river precision trigger and self defense
what ammo should i buy for my 556 colt 6900le

what ammo should i use

what is good and munition for my gun
what kind of ammo can you bring to the range
what kind of ammo shoukd i use in a new gun
what kind of ammo should i buy

what kind of ammo to buy

what kind of bullets should i use
what type ammo should use for
what type of ammo do i use on my

what type of ammo should i use

what type of ammo to use
what typesof ammo and guns should be banned
which ammo should i use
Click on a term to search for related topics.