• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Choosing the right powder for 9mm 115gr

This is a discussion on Choosing the right powder for 9mm 115gr within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by Mike1388 That leads to my next question - what powder would that be? I like Bullseye for 9mm and some other calibers. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Choosing the right powder for 9mm 115gr

Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1388 View Post
That leads to my next question - what powder would that be?
I like Bullseye for 9mm and some other calibers. The charge fills the 9mm case about halfway and is easily visible.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
BMB
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 73278
I use Bullseye with 115 JHP rainiers.
BMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
I think that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I do check every round before seating the bullet. However, the powder (TG) doesn't fill the case so it's sometimes difficult to see. It seems like changing to a powder that uses a larger volume would definitely be helpful. That leads to my next question - what powder would that be? I think others have already made some recommendations on that, so I'll review the responses in this thread.

That still leaves one question regarding "+ P" - is loading at the top end of the suggested charge (4.3gr for TG, which ranges from 3.9 to 4.3) considered + P? Or is + P when you go over the recommended top load?
TG & other uberfast powders should NEVER be used beyond listed max. There is no such thing as a little over max w/ uberfast powders. Pressures are NOT linear; the faster the powder the steeper the curve. So when an uberfast powder gets to max, often the pressure curve goes vertical, result is a KB if the brass can't handle it. Why?
Choose a powder for the performance level first, then safety (volume/pressures) & then cost. If you want to run minor gamer loads or light plinkers, uberfast powders work fine. If you want safe std vel or +P, then you have to move to a slower powder. For me, high pressure/small volume rounds like the 9mm, 40 & 357sig, get W231 & slower powders. Then again, I rarely run gamer loads, preferring factory equiv vel.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34606
Quote:
I think that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I do check every round before seating the bullet. However, the powder (TG) doesn't fill the case so it's sometimes difficult to see. It seems like changing to a powder that uses a larger volume would definitely be helpful. That leads to my next question - what powder would that be? I think others have already made some recommendations on that, so I'll review the responses in this thread.

That still leaves one question regarding "+ P" - is loading at the top end of the suggested charge (4.3gr for TG, which ranges from 3.9 to 4.3) considered + P? Or is + P when you go over the recommended top load?

At this stage I would recommend sticking with loads that are commonly listed across several reloading manuals. There are several loads listed with starting charges above 6.0 and max charges above 7.0. Some of these powders are True Blue, Power Pistol, AA#7, Blue Dot and these are further down the burn rate chart as well. They should help with identifying low charges. Regardless you need to make sure your following loading manuals recommendations. Also improve your lighting above your press.

I can't answer your question as to what is "considered a +P" charge, however I would advice that you not be concerned about +P reloading at the moment and focus on the basics and staying within recommended guidelines on the lower side until you get some more time under your belt. This isn't meant to tear you down but for your own safety.
Rugby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby3 View Post
I can't answer your question as to what is "considered a +P" charge, however I would advice that you not be concerned about +P reloading at the moment and focus on the basics and staying within recommended guidelines on the lower side until you get some more time under your belt. This isn't meant to tear you down but for your own safety.
A +P load is one that exceeds max data. As noted earlier, there is no such thing as a little over pressure w/ uberfast powders. They can go from fine to wild in as little as 2/10 of a grain. There is a reasom +P data isn't in most manuals for many calibers.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63453
Back to the beginning, lead smokes when it melts. It's worse with some loads than others. That could be creating some of the "dirtiness" you described. Much to fredj338's dismay (LOL) I use TG under jacketed bullets. I do not feel it is "dirty" when used under jacketed bullets.

Others have addressed the poof loads. Again, evaluate your process!!

There is no magic powder. Many of us have our preferences. Titegroup is fast. Do not try to hotrod it. If you stay within the published data it should be safe. When +P data is published by a reputable source it will be clearly noted. I repeat reputable source.
XD5.25Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72789
What are the opinions on Winchester Ball Power AutoComp? I went to a couple ranges and shops and couldn't find Bullseye or other pistol powders. They had a ton of rifle powder. Also, I was only able to find CCI Primers, I think those have been rated good by many...
pitandxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #28
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Guess I will toss in my vote for HS6 for 9mm! I happen to use 7.0grns of HS6 with 115 grn xtp's for competition bullseye.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34606
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitandxd View Post
What are the opinions on Winchester Ball Power AutoComp? I went to a couple ranges and shops and couldn't find Bullseye or other pistol powders. They had a ton of rifle powder. Also, I was only able to find CCI Primers, I think those have been rated good by many...

That is typically used by those competing and using compensators. If you plan on plinking or just range use try Win 231. CCI primers work great, I haven't had any issues with the 5K+ I've used so far.
Rugby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28938
Im running Unique in my .40 and .45. I haven't started loading for 9mm because I dont shoot my 9mm often enough. One of these days I'll get a better 9mm pistol and shoot more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

9mm, how to, powder

Search tags for this page

9mm pistol powder

9mm powder

9mm reloading powder

best 9mm gun powder
best 9mm load data
best 9mm powder
best 9mm powder for reloading
best 9mm reloading powder
best pistol powder for 9mm

best powder for 9mm

best powder for 9mm reloading

best powder for reloading 9mm

gunpowder for 9mm
hodgdon powder for 9mm
reloading 9mm data
reloading powder for 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.