• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD 9mm ammo spec

This is a discussion on XD 9mm ammo spec within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; New to the forum and pistols. I use a XD 9mm. Shot a few rounds of Remmington 118gr. and I think it was 148gr box ...

Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72696
Question XD 9mm ammo spec

New to the forum and pistols. I use a XD 9mm. Shot a few rounds of Remmington 118gr. and I think it was 148gr box purchased from the local shooting range. Had one of the 188gr. jam the gun. Wondering now if higher gr. ammo is necessary or if the this was a fluke. Also wondering if there is an offical ammo spec listed some place? The forum has an entry regarding NOT to use a certain brand. Any URLs for XD 9mm specs?
davefg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 2714
Huh? 9mm? Typically 115gr, 124gr and 147gr are your options. All will work fine in your XD. Where did you buy this ammo you are noting and who sold it to you?

OS
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Yep, do bit of study. 9mm ammo is as OS notes w/ a few rare exceptions. FWIW, I NEVER shoot range ammo or unknown reloads, NEVER. Most of it is assembled in some guys garage w/ dubious components & knowledge. 9mm is cheap @ Wally, go there.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72696

Thanks for the info. Like I mentiioned I'm new to the forum and pistols, recollection of the ammo specs is loose. My understanding is alittle better thanks to you and other experienced shooters.
My thought, for example, was the gr. index was the amount of powder in the round. Now I realize it is a designation of the projectile weight.
So is there a source for this stuff? Not really seeing any ammo specs in the XD manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Huh? 9mm? Typically 115gr, 124gr and 147gr are your options. All will work fine in your XD. Where did you buy this ammo you are noting and who sold it to you?

OS
davefg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67635
I recommend also just buying good commercial ammo from a known supplier. You don't want to do too much digging... you could spend lifetimes learning about ammo and still not know it all. It is an incredibly deep and technical topic but there is an equal amount of bad info out there. For some basics try visiting some of the manufactures web sites and searching for ballistic test results etc. just realize there are lots of marketing gimmics out there. The forums have good info on what ammo people choose and why.

For my 9mm Winchester White Box target is my choice for ball ammo (full metal jacket with round nose)
And Winchester T series is my choice for 9mm self defense (Jacketed hollow point bullet that expands and penetrates) because it is cheap when you can find it, used by some LE agencies, has a long history, and I can afford to practice with it once in a while.

As long as you use something decent the XD will run great. As suggested unknown re-loads should be avoided for your safety, there are a million ways to screw up a re-load so why go that rout to save pennies.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefg34 View Post
Thanks for the info. Like I mentiioned I'm new to the forum and pistols, recollection of the ammo specs is loose. My understanding is alittle better thanks to you and other experienced shooters.
My thought, for example, was the gr. index was the amount of powder in the round. Now I realize it is a designation of the projectile weight.
So is there a source for this stuff? Not really seeing any ammo specs in the XD manual.
Most ammo manuf have specs on their ammo on line. Bullet wt in grains (1#=7000gr) & vel in feet per sec along w/ comparative energy numbers. What does it all mean, not much. Lighter bullet have higher vel, & often penetrate less in anything they hit. Heavier bullets go slower, & higher momentum & longer shape allows for more penetration. Think ping-pong ball vs golf ball; both about the same size, one lighter, which one travels further & hit's harder? A bit simplistic, but easy enough to understand for noobs.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

ammo

Search tags for this page
9mm ammo info

9mm ammo specs

9mm ammunition specifications

9mm reload specifications

9mm specs

ammo for xd 9mm
ammo spec for xds 9mm
ammo spec means
load specs
xd 9mm ammo specs
xd 9mm specifications

xd 9mm specs

xd9 9mm specs
xd9 range ammo

xd9sc specs

xds 9mm specs
Click on a term to search for related topics.