• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Need a recipe

This is a discussion on Need a recipe within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; For some .45 ACP reloads. I just started reloading and am very excited to say that I am ready to put powder and bullets into ...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16227
Need a recipe

For some .45 ACP reloads. I just started reloading and am very excited to say that I am ready to put powder and bullets into my first batch of cases. However, I bought Hodgdon Titegroup powder and haven't been able to find a recipe for my 230 gr JHP bullets with it.

From other Hodgdon pistol powders I am thinking that I will do 1/2 batch at 4.6 gr of powder and 1/2 at 5.0 gr of powder and see how it goes.

Anyone have a good recipe with these elements?

Thanks for the help!

joe
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 12227
Check Hodgdons web site
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
rtparso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Is there going to be any difference between my JHPs and the FMJs? I would think not since the bullet weight is the same, but the OAL will be different. I haven't seen a recipe for JHPs at all, not even on the Hodgdon website.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Thanks to whomever for moving this! I knew there was a better place than the CatterBox.

So, what OAL do I need to load to with my 230 gr JHPs? I'm thinking 1.222 as that is what most of my TAP rds are loaded to from the factory.

Input?

joe
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42421
Your JHP should be very close to the data for the FMJ FP on the Hodgdon site. Lists a starting load of 4.4gr Titegroup, and a max load of 4.8gr. OAL is 1.2", which is right at your guess of 1.222 from your TAP rounds.

I would start at 4.4gr and work up. Load a few rounds at 4.4, then 4.6, then 4.8.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Staticxd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
Sounds like you need to get a couple of good manuals and follow the bullet/powder recommendations in them.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
I'd just like to add that you really need to be careful about double charges, when using powders that fast. I use almost twice that much powder with my 230gr. reloads, but I'm using AA#5. You can double-charge with #5, but it almost fills the case with a double charge.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmar View Post
I'd just like to add that you really need to be careful about double charges, when using powders that fast. I use almost twice that much powder with my 230gr. reloads, but I'm using AA#5. You can double-charge with #5, but it almost fills the case with a double charge.
^^THIS^^Seriously, another noob reloader dupped into buying TG. IMO, STOP! Put the TG on the shelf, go buy some W231 or Unique & start there. Working loads of TG in the bottom of a 45acp case are barely visible, a dbl charge is diff to spot for a noob & ver possible. Add to that the add'l. bbl heat, steep pressure curve, just not a good beginners powder.
That fact you are asking for data instead of doing a proper load work up is telling me you need to do some more reading. Get 2 good manual, not the Lee. Cross ref w/ the Hodgdon site & then use average starting data & work up IN SMALL batches in 0.1gr increments. Your thought of 0.4gr increment is frightening w/ a powder like TG, Clays, Bee, etc. Pressures are NOT linear. As a faster powder gets to the peak, it can go vertical or spike. That is KB territory my friend. More guns have been blown up by relaoders using uberfast pwoders & making a small mistake. There is no such thing as beign "a little over" when it comse to powders faster than Unique.
BTW, you cannot measure a facotry round & then just plug that OAL in UNLESS it is the same bullet. Bullets are NOT plug & play & neither is OAL. A RNFMJ is not a FPFMJ is not a JHP is not a plated is not a lead bulet. OAL really matters the faster the powder burn rate. SO load the longest OAL that works in YOUR gun. What works in my 1911 doesn't in my XD so you must adjust both OAL & powder charge, if loading shorter, w/ the data you do find in the manuals. USe your removed bbl as a guide, make a dummy round @ the book OAL & see if it fits. If it drops in flush w/ the bbl hood, good to go, if not seat deeper & reduce your charge a bit to compensate if you are running the top end of the data. How much depends ont he powder used, there is no rule of thumb, but know that pressures start up dramatically when seating 0.060" deeper than the OAL indicated.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
JCT
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64260
Holy cow, Fred, that's one of the best discussions about OAL I've seen. I hope you collect comments like these as they are *really* helpful.

I have found the concept of OAL very opaque, even with reading through several manuals.

Something that I picked up along the way that I think is useful for newbies (like myself) is to look for a powder with a high load *density* with lower pressures for a given velocity.

Plenty of time to go jacking things up....
JCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25494
I can tell how much I have learned about reloading when I can predict, accurately, what Fred and Mercmar are going to say.

I remember when I started that a primary concern was buying a good cheap powder so I would have the lowest per-round cost.

What a mistake. Not only is the cost difference trivial, you can really set yourself up for a problem with a fast powder if you don't do it right.

Fred said something a few years back that really stuck with me: use a powder that fills most of the case, and you can easily identify a double-charge--and it's easier to see a no-charge.

And I do. WST in the .45, WST or AA#7 in the 9mm.

Occam's Razor: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
mongoose33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

115 fmj 9mm wst

230 gr nosler jhp loads in 45 acp

230 nosler jhp redommendations
45 acp powder recipe
45 acp wst loads 250 gr
45acp 250 wst
best powder for 45acpwith 230 jhp
hornady 230 fmj 45 acp wst powder

loading 230gr jhp with wst powder data

need aol on wsf 115gr. fmj reloads

nosler 230gr wst

nosler data for230gr jhp

reloading recipes unique powder for 45acp 230 gr jhp
unique 230 gr jhp loads

wst 45acp 230

wst and 230 gr. 45 acp

Click on a term to search for related topics.