• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Self Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Self Defense Ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by agalindo I don't bother buying gimmick ammo. I've seen the tests and it's not worth the extra money. Test: Double Tap 155 ...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #71
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70333
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
I don't bother buying gimmick ammo. I've seen the tests and it's not worth the extra money.

Test: Double Tap 155 gr Gold Dot vs. Speer 165 gr Gold Dot - M4Carbine.net Forums
doubletap don't even produce a .40 S&W 155gr round;
DoubleTap Ammunition

don't believe everything you read
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #72
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
doubletap don't even produce a .40 S&W 155gr round;
Not any more... they used to, though. DocGKR did those tests in 2009.

Quote:
don't believe everything you read
DocGKR is one of the most thorough testers in the gun community. He doesn't make up imaginary rounds or imaginary data. If he tested them, then they existed; whether the manufacturer continues to offer them or not afterwards is a different story.

Intolerance
applies only to principles, but never to persons."
~ Fulton J. Sheen, 1931 "The Curse of Broadmindedness"
loonybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #73
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Foot pounds of energy don't mean much when it comes to a good SD round, don't get caught up in that velocity and foot pounds thing.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
XDTalk Member

Member #: 49851
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmfan4life View Post
Ive see his channel, but a lot of people here really seem to look down on the "back yard you tubers" and think their test are pretty much worthless. They trust the "professionals" off other forums. But, imo, he has a decent channel, and I have been watching his "tests" on the ranger t's and the hst.
I've watched tnoutdoors9 and other YT channels and I'm lucky enough to live where I can do my own testing. I use four layers of denim and water jugs, which a bullet engineer at Speer said was "a fair test." I've found that from the XD9, all high quality HP's like Gold Dots and Ranger T seem to function well, and even cheaper stuff like the WWB 147gr. HPs are OK. I don't get carried away with what rounds I'm using so much as keeping in practice and hitting what I aim at.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #75
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 70032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwash3rd View Post
I've watched tnoutdoors9 and other YT channels and I'm lucky enough to live where I can do my own testing. I use four layers of denim and water jugs, which a bullet engineer at Speer said was "a fair test." I've found that from the XD9, all high quality HP's like Gold Dots and Ranger T seem to function well, and even cheaper stuff like the WWB 147gr. HPs are OK. I don't get carried away with what rounds I'm using so much as keeping in practice and hitting what I aim at.
I agree!
xdmfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #76
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 74225
Any further opinions on this? I'm about to order some golden saber +p 124 grain rounds. I've never shot +p rounds through my XDm before, is the difference in recoil noticeable? Strangely I can get the +p ones for cheaper than the standard.
Lennyo3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #77
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Agalindo, it looks like it's amateur night...

OK, first off, what Agalindo said is spot on--frangible rounds are next to useless. They tend to blow right through a wall and still be dangerous on the other side, but also tend to underpenetrate people to the point that they don't stop them fast. Mallninja wannabes tend to wet their pants over them, because they makes them watermelonz blow up real good on UToob. Against anything in the animal kingdom, however...worthless.

Second off--there is no "Best". That bears repeating, so let me say it again:

There is no "Best".

Why? Because what works best for me, in my gun, when I shoot it, may not be what works best in your gun when you shoot it...and not all guns/shooters are the same.

That being said, though...not all loads are created equal.

So: I suggest that folks with questions like this read these links:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

They list several loads that all have proven themselves to be excellent choices...and also explains the why as to them being excellent choices.

So, choose one of the loads listed (you may find that some are considerably more expensive and/or harder to find than others--but they all will perform more or less the same). Buy a box or two, and take it to the range. Load up your mags, and let fly. Fire at least one entire magazine out of every magazine you plan on using for defense. See if the load runs 100% reliably in your pistol in your hands, and see if you think it has acceptible control when rapid firing. If your pistol likes it, and you like it...why try something else? You've got something that you know works for you, instead of what some anonymous yahoo tells you in an internet forum. If it doesn't work..then start all over again.

I hope this actually helps you, instead of sombody just posting some bullet name that may or may not work in your gun.

ETA--Hornady Critcal Defects is one of those rounds that blowz up watermelonz real good on UToob. Avoid it.
I'll repeat this from page one...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #78
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67521
There is a difference. I've shot 9mm wwb and some other cheap stuff, reloaded my own and recently got some remington HD ammo.

Was at the range for a PPC match and after shot some of the remington stuff. Less recoil compared to my reloads (which are near min loads and same weight bullet) and much more accurate (disappointing that my reloads are not as good). Most accurate ammo I've shot in my XD. Got 6 of 8 rounds at 1.5" group at 12 yards with 2 fliers pushing it to 2.5" group. Loved the low recoil! Must find a powder like that!

Supposedly HD ammo uses low flash powders to keep from blinding you at night.
I bought 2 boxes (50 rounds) one to practice with and one to keep in the gun. Tests show it/I shoot well so no more testing needed IMO. Total spent was $40. Well worth it IMO to have 'reliable' ammo (sealed, nickel cases, etc).
I see no need to test penetration or lack thereof (in walls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwash3rd View Post
Reload 9mm, 38spcl, 12g soon, 30-06
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #79
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyo3034 View Post
Any further opinions on this? I'm about to order some golden saber +p 124 grain rounds. I've never shot +p rounds through my XDm before, is the difference in recoil noticeable? Strangely I can get the +p ones for cheaper than the standard.
More recoil for not much more penetration. I used to insist on +p for my SD rounds, but not any more. More recoil can mean less controlled rapid fire, and the benefit doesn't outweigh that.

For what it's worth, I use Federal HST 124gr.

Intolerance
applies only to principles, but never to persons."
~ Fulton J. Sheen, 1931 "The Curse of Broadmindedness"
loonybin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

ammo, hollow points, self defense

Search tags for this page
best 9mm ammo for self defense

best 9mm defense ammo

best 9mm defense ammo 2012
best choice for self defense ammo
best defense ammo for xdm 9mm
best defense ammo for xds 9

best self defense ammo

best self defense ammo for the xdm 9mm
defense
home defense ammo loads 9mm
what is the best self defense load for an xds 9mm
xdm 9mm self defense ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.