• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AMMO Applications and Self Defense Effectiveness

This is a discussion on AMMO Applications and Self Defense Effectiveness within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Thanks Lucas. Never liked snake oil and I'm in sales! Originally Posted by lharrell79 I just looked at brownells site, and i'm not sure wth ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » AMMO Applications and Self Defense Effectiveness

Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68784
Thanks Lucas. Never liked snake oil and I'm in sales!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
I just looked at brownells site, and i'm not sure wth they got going on with all those different categories. Tactical category? What defines a bullet as tactical? At any rate, the suggestions given above are all good.

FMJ's = deep penetration, and smaller hole
JHP's = less penetration, and bigger hole
Quality JHP's = good penetration, and big hole

It's not rocket science. For SD pick a quality JHP, that YOU can shoot accurately, and is reliable in YOUR gun. All the rest is just snake oil and marketing fluff.

Lucas
markjaey is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjaey View Post
The Brownells site lists ammo by application (i.e., law enforcement, training, self defense, etc.). The implication is that certain ammo is better suited to a particular task. Perhaps based on cost. Perhaps based on stopping effectiveness. Perhaps based on accuracy. I'm wondering, for home defense needs, why wouldn't, or why would, a training type ammo be as effective as a law enforcement type ammo or, a self defense type ammo? What are the difference to be considered when evaluating these rounds for a given neede?
Well you certainly can, but it will cost you a lot more. Consider to get really good with your handgun, you are going to have to shoot somewhere around5K rds a year w/ an instructor along the way for osme of those rounds. Then to maintain those skills, you are going to have to shoot at least 100rds a month & that is a bare min IMO. At factory SD/HD JHP loads, you'll be broke.
It doesn't really matter that you train w/ the best, say 180gr JHP @ 900fps, as long as your practice ammo has a simm recoil & point of impact. SO most train w/ cheaper FMJ of the same weight as their def ammo choice.
SHould you just tick to FMJ? Sure, you could, but then you are handicapping yourself in a gunfight. You want the target to receive as much damage as possible for a quicker end to the fight. It's why we practice & train, to deliver the bullets effectively. Then handicapping yourself w/ FMJ is like not practicing IMO. So as noted, choose a brand name JHP, shoot at least 1 full mag form each carry mag to make sure it runs the gun. Then shoot FMJ for practice. Once a year, it's a good idea to throw a magazine of your def load downrange to make sure nothing has changed in you or your gun. Most will burn off their carry ammo once a year to play it safe. HD ammo, it can last along time inside the enviro of a home, but stillprudent to run a mag annually to make sure nothing has changed in the gun.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 65457
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well you certainly can, but it will cost you a lot more. Consider to get really good with your handgun, you are going to have to shoot somewhere around5K rds a year w/ an instructor along the way for osme of those rounds. Then to maintain those skills, you are going to have to shoot at least 100rds a month & that is a bare min IMO. At factory SD/HD JHP loads, you'll be broke.
It doesn't really matter that you train w/ the best, say 180gr JHP @ 900fps, as long as your practice ammo has a simm recoil & point of impact. SO most train w/ cheaper FMJ of the same weight as their def ammo choice.
SHould you just tick to FMJ? Sure, you could, but then you are handicapping yourself in a gunfight. You want the target to receive as much damage as possible for a quicker end to the fight. It's why we practice & train, to deliver the bullets effectively. Then handicapping yourself w/ FMJ is like not practicing IMO. So as noted, choose a brand name JHP, shoot at least 1 full mag form each carry mag to make sure it runs the gun. Then shoot FMJ for practice. Once a year, it's a good idea to throw a magazine of your def load downrange to make sure nothing has changed in you or your gun. Most will burn off their carry ammo once a year to play it safe. HD ammo, it can last along time inside the enviro of a home, but stillprudent to run a mag annually to make sure nothing has changed in the gun.
Great advice. Mark, I practice with FMJ, and the JHP's that I carry for SD. In my XD45, I use Aguila FMJ's. They're cheap, clean, accurate, and feel identical to Speer Gold Dot HP's. For SD, I use Speer Gold Dot's. They're clean, accurate, reliable, and have reliable expansion as well. Plus, they can be bought in 50 round boxes.

During a range session, i'll usually shoot about 200 rounds of Aguila FMJ, and then finish with 10-20 rounds of Speer GD's.

HTH, Lucas
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

I think they're just trying to confuse newbs like me. With the help of my friends @ XDT I should be fine!

Quote:
I just looked at brownells site, and i'm not sure wth they got going on with all those different categories. Tactical category? What defines a bullet as tactical? At any rate, the suggestions given above are all good.

FMJ's = deep penetration, and smaller hole
JHP's = less penetration, and bigger hole
Quality JHP's = good penetration, and big hole

It's not rocket science. For SD pick a quality JHP, that YOU can shoot accurately, and is reliable in YOUR gun. All the rest is just snake oil and marketing fluff.

Lucas
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
XDTalk Newbie

This is great advice. Shooting range rounds and SD rounds makes sense. Finding range rounds with similar characteristics as my SD rounds is a smart approach. When looking for range rounds and SD with similar performance characteristics I'm guessing that similar ballistics like: weight and speed are important. Are there other considerations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Quote:
Great advice. Mark, I practice with FMJ, and the JHP's that I carry for SD. In my XD45, I use Aguila FMJ's. They're cheap, clean, accurate, and feel identical to Speer Gold Dot HP's. For SD, I use Speer Gold Dot's. They're clean, accurate, reliable, and have reliable expansion as well. Plus, they can be bought in 50 round boxes.

During a range session, i'll usually shoot about 200 rounds of Aguila FMJ, and then finish with 10-20 rounds of Speer GD's.

HTH, Lucas
Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjaey View Post
This is great advice. Shooting range rounds and SD rounds makes sense. Finding range rounds with similar characteristics as my SD rounds is a smart approach. When looking for range rounds and SD with similar performance characteristics I'm guessing that similar ballistics like: weight and speed are important. Are there other considerations?
Other than reliability, nope. If they print to the same POA as your SD ammo, that is very useful too.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

ammo, ammunition, bullets, defense

Search tags for this page

243 ammo for self defense

243 for self defense

best .45 defense ammo

best personal defense ammo

best self defense ammo

difference between home defense ammo

difference between home defense and range ammo

difference between range ammo and home defense ammo
differences between home defence and range bullets
different types of self defense 45 acp ammo
effectiveness of different ammo

range ammo for self defense

types of self defense ammo

what is the best personal defense ammo

what is the difference in ammo

what's the difference between personal defense and tactical ammo?
Click on a term to search for related topics.