XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/)
-   The Ammo Can (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/)
-   -   Best powder/bullet for 3" XD barrel (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/187880-best-powder-bullet-3-xd-barrel.html)

enottingham 11-11-2011 08:41 AM

Best powder/bullet for 3" XD barrel

Considering the short distance a bullet must travel in a sub-compact barrel such as the 3" XD Sub-Compact, is there an optimum powder/bullet combination which will insure the most efficient powder burn and pressure for that length. I'm mainly looking for accuracy.

Cuda66 11-11-2011 08:45 AM

The bullet would be a 147gr. The heavier bullet will spend more time in the bore, and get a more efficient burn behind it.

Not certain which powder, though.

GerryM 11-11-2011 08:47 AM

I have used Titegroup with 147gr Percision delta bullets in my 9mm SC - seems to work well for me

agalindo 11-11-2011 08:53 AM

Now you've said it!! Fred can sense that word a mile away. Yourrrr in trouble. :)

I would think a faster burning powder with a heavy bullet would be the best choice. 147gr would be best, wouldn't go lower than 124. By best we're talking small fractions.

GG Asian 11-11-2011 09:04 AM

Is the OP talking about the 9 or 40 subcompact?

enottingham 11-11-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG Asian (Post 3091840)
Is the OP talking about the 9 or 40 subcompact?

We're talking 9mm.

iCreek 11-11-2011 10:25 AM

I use a 124 grain FMJ bullet with Win 231 4.3 - 4.5 grains of powder, 1.150 OAL, and seem to have good accuracy with my XD SC. We shoot this combo mostly at 3 - 15 yards, but have shot 25 and 50 yards and hit targets also.

fredj338 11-11-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuda66 (Post 3091821)
The bullet would be a 147gr. The heavier bullet will spend more time in the bore, and get a more efficient burn behind it.

Not certain which powder, though.

I hear this phrase quite a bit; barrel time. Cuda, a 147gr bullet spends exactly the same time in the bbl as a 115gr bullet if they are both going 900fps. SO yes & no. I have found loading for short or long bbl., there isn't really an optimum bullet or powder. Longer/heavier bullets can stabilize better, but maybe not. If not driven fast enough, they don't stabilize & can be less accuarte. So shorter bbl, less vel, wrong twist rate, poor accuracy.
You always get the highest vel using slower powders, regardless of bbl length. You just get more blast & flash to go with it. SO no easy answer really. Loads that work in my 5" guns run fine in my 3.5" guns. If you want less blast & flash, use a faster powder, but you will also lose vel, if that matters. SOme like TG, it does fit that nich, but I won't use it or other uberfast powders, regardless of bbl length.

agalindo 11-11-2011 11:05 AM

Yes fred if both light and heavy bullets are going the same vel then they spend the same time in the barrel but in 99% of the cases the 115gr is going faster than the 147gr. That is unless you are purposely loading light on the 115gr.

fredj338 11-11-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agalindo (Post 3091948)
Yes fred if both light and heavy bullets are going the same vel then they spend the same time in the barrel but in 99% of the cases the 115gr is going faster than the 147gr. That is unless you are purposely loading light on the 115gr.

I just don't think bbl time has much to do with accuracy. It's more about twist rate vs bullet length/wt & vel achieved. Example, I can get some really great accuracy loads using a 90gr 380 bullet in any bbl length, you can;t over stabilize a bullet IMO. Add to that, guns are wierd beasts. Certain bullet/powdre combos can be really accurate in one gun & complete crap in another type of bbl. One aspect of reloading is you get to tailor the load to fit your needs. For the OP, I would pick one good powder, like WSF or Unique or Universal, & one bullet tpye & work the loads up. If results aren't acceptable, switch bullets first. If you want to use just that bullet, then switch powders.