• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best powder/bullet for 3" XD barrel

This is a discussion on Best powder/bullet for 3" XD barrel within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Totally agree....

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Best powder/bullet for 3" XD barrel

Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Totally agree.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Fred--

Since the heavier bullet will take more force to get moving than a light bullet, won't it have a bit more dwell time?

I know we're talking about angels dancing on my pinhead here, but that's the way I've always understood it.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Fred--

Since the heavier bullet will take more force to get moving than a light bullet, won't it have a bit more dwell time?

I know we're talking about angels dancing on my pinhead here, but that's the way I've always understood it.
Nano seconds, not enough to change anything. It's often argued that is why heavier bullets shoot to a higher POI, bbl time. If they travel the same exit vel, the bbl time is going to be almost identical, nano seconds. I am sure there is some way to measure that, but I just don't think it matters in any practical sense when choosing components for reloading. If someone can show me some kind of data supporting that, I am all ears.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
If you want to keep muzzle-blast to a minimum I would use a 124 or 147 gr JHP over a max charge of Ramshot Silhouette which is treated to keep muzzle-flash to a minimum. Work up from a start charge of course. Data is available @ Ramshot

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Wow... this is tricky! Acceleration of a heavier bullet may indeed require, as Fred says, "nanoseconds" more than a lighter bullet, but in the end it is the speed of the bullet as it exits the barrel that seems to represent the only variable that would matter in this situation. Of course, there is always more.

Twist rates are optimized for what manufacturers consider to be the "optimal" load (that is bullet weight, and thus length, at a given speed safe in pressure for that caliber). Since powder types and indeed bullet construction and thus weight for length, have changed over the years giving different pressure curves and barrel contact with bullets than gun manufacturers may have first envisioned there are some differences in expectations as to what is the "perfect" bullet weight for the caliber.

Considering together bullet weight and twist rates, velocity is still what matters as the other two are fixed in a given situation. POI, as Fred alludes to, is a function of the speed of the bullet relative to the sights which are set for a certain velocity. POI is not accuracy. Accuracy is not the relationship between POA and POI, but the ability to put round after round in the same place, regardless of the point of impact's relationship to the sights. Placement is the relationship between point of aim and point of impact... or does it go where I want it to.

So when you chose a round for your gun you are looking for placement and accuracy together generally, though they are not interchangeable terms. Therefore, though I generally advocate for somewhat heavier bullets in a particular caliber especially in defensive loadings, these may not always produce the best absolute accuracy or the bullet placement the user requires or expects. The thing here is that most bullets will produce "good enough" accuracy for defensive purposes, but placement may be lacking. Only testing by the gun owner can determine what level of each, that is placement and accuracy, they find optimal.

What I am getting at here is that if you are only interested in being able to put a round through the ear hole of some critter at 25yrds or whatever distance, (no matter how many legs it has), your choices in ammunition will be very limited. It's as simple or as complex as you want to make it.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!

Let's add this: Congress shall make no law which limits the type, caliber, capacity, or rate of fire of any arms the People have or want to have.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4134
TG or Powerpistol is what I have used, the PP tends to soot unless you stay on the upper end also note that TG has a small range so watch the loads on the high end.

Always Remember:
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
panther308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

barrel, burn, compact, powder, short

Search tags for this page

9mm pistol powder

best 9mm compact pistol powder

best 9mm pistol powder

best powder - 40 s&w short barrel ammo

best powder for short barrel 9mm

best powder xd 4.5 barrel 9mm
best short barrel pistol powder

best small barrel reloading powder

fast burning powder for short barrels
fast burning powder for short pistol barrels
fast burning powder with heavy bullets in sub compacts
favorite powder for short barrel 40

reloading 9mm short barrel

reloading for short barrel length
revolver powder for 3 bbl
what powders are best for short pistol barrels
Click on a term to search for related topics.