• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.45 ACP - Large or small primers

This is a discussion on .45 ACP - Large or small primers within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I am starting to reload .45 ACP. I may buy some new brass to load myself. In adding the .45 ACP to my reloading regimen, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » .45 ACP - Large or small primers

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62625
.45 ACP - Large or small primers

I am starting to reload .45 ACP. I may buy some new brass to load myself. In adding the .45 ACP to my reloading regimen, should I be getting large pistol primer or small pistol primer brass? When all is said and done, is the any advantage to me one way or the other (other than the price difference in the primers)?

A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do.
P.J. O'Rourke
Marc82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41717
Large Pistol Primers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Quote:
XD's are like fat chicks, they eat anything you feed them, and they can never get enough
Carolinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57020
All I reload right now is 9mm, 38/357 and .45acp. I like being able to stay set up for small primers only. Federal champions .45acp have small primers, so I've been buying those for the brass, and they're cheaper here.
driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41717
I was just about to say that Federal does a lot of SPP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Quote:
XD's are like fat chicks, they eat anything you feed them, and they can never get enough
Carolinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
The proper primer size is large. The new small primer stuff is a PITA to keep sorted if you do range pickups. There is no real advantage to the SP, although some claim slightly better accuracy. There is no cost diff, both primers cost the same. So it's more of a logistics issue keeping everything separate.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 24504
I find more brass in LPP than SPP, and it drives me nuts when i'm reloading to find a SPP mixed into the lot. I wish there was an easy way to separate the two quickly, but instead i have to find out the hard way by ruining a perfectly good primer, or look at each and every one. We reload by the THOUSANDS so that's pretty much out of the question.

"Gun-Free Zones" are shooting ranges for the criminally insane.
"Know this: Killin' is my business, Ladies, and business IS GOOOOOD!" -Major Payne

When someone says they are a retired operator, i think Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking... JUST a moment.
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27723
Almost all .45 is Large but Federal is making stuff with small now. Not sure why but it sure is a pain to get it mixed in.

I hand prime all my brass and have small primers too but I don't feel like sorting it lol.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
Almost all .45 is Large but Federal is making stuff with small now. Not sure why but it sure is a pain to get it mixed in.

I hand prime all my brass and have small primers too but I don't feel like sorting it lol.
Speer Blaser is now made both ways, so is the Win NT, so you really do have to sort by hand, even if you load 1000s. You need to inspect for cracks & such anyway. I just look at the case head when I pick it up, If it's got a SP, it gets tossed to the corner of the range.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28644
Just read an article in Reloader Magazine about this. It seems some of the new "green" primers that the factories are using have been creating some problems for reloaders lately. In the article it says the pressure wave from the new primers has to be compensated for by enlarging the flash hole, or using small primers, instead of the usual large size.
Oh well, being ecological always costs something.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52255
fwiw, blazer brass is also a small primer .45 round. When I'm loading .45, I always check every round before I even start cleaning them & separate them then. I've ruined my fair share of primers by not checking before hand.
Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.45 acp large or small primer
.45 acp primer
45 acp pistol primers

45 acp primer

45 acp primer size

45 acp primers

45 acp small primer vs large primer

45 primer size

primer size for 45 acp

primers for .45acp

primers for 45 acp

reloading .45 acp small primer
what primer for .45 acp

what primers for 45 acp

what size primer for 45 acp

what size primers for 45 acp

Click on a term to search for related topics.