• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm SD rounds

This is a discussion on 9mm SD rounds within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; im new to the fourm and this question might have already been answered on here so forgive me if it is. i am loooking for ...

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64471
9mm SD rounds

im new to the fourm and this question might have already been answered on here so forgive me if it is.

i am loooking for a low grain 9mm hollow point self defense round for CC. i want a round that has good expansion but is not going to over pentrate and hurt some one behind the threat. any one have a round in mind that can do this?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62625
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1012 View Post
im new to the fourm and this question might have already been answered on here so forgive me if it is.

i am loooking for a low grain 9mm hollow point self defense round for CC. i want a round that has good expansion but is not going to over pentrate and hurt some one behind the threat. any one have a round in mind that can do this?
I use Extreme Shock (extremeshockusa.com). Shot 5-6 bad guys and not one survived.

A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do.
P.J. O'Rourke
Marc82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Ok...

First off...clear up a misconception about JHP's overpenetrating. In short, any properly functioning JHP likely won't. Very few JHP's that open up leave the body; most are stopped under the skin on the oppsite side. The few that do are mostly stopped by clothing...and the few of those that aren't are usually found lying on the ground a few feet away. In short, in the unlikely event of the round clearing your target, it's spent.

Second--in order for a round to be effective, it needs to punch deep into the body, where the vital structures are located. A lightweight JHP just won't do that, lessening the chance of causing a stopping wound. That means you have to shoot more, and in a dynamic situation, tha means the likliehood of more misses. Missed rounds are a LOT more dangerous than a round that might maybe, but probably won't punch clean through.

Third--Extreme Shock is a mall ninja gimmick load. Avoid it.

The lightest I'd ever consider is the 115gr +P DPX, or the 115gr Barnes in any other loading (Black Hills and Wilson Combat are both loading this bullet as well as Cor-Bon). It's a bullet with a decent track record.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
The various 115gr +P or +P+ rounds are probably your best bet, but overpenetration is the least of my worries. Misses are going to be the problem, not shoot throughs, but shoot throughs always count.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

thanks for the feed back marc82much. extream schock will going on thie list to test.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63739
An awesome writeup of different SD ammo. I personally went with the 147g Federal HST JHP after reading this link but there is a good list of suggested 9mm SD ammo.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
XDarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 64309
Winchester PDX 9mm 124gr JHP is what I went with after a lot of research and range tests
dsaladino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

cuda66 you make a very valid point. i havent been able to get out and do my on testing on hollow points so my data has come from the internet and balistic gel testing. but i ahve to ask why you dislike extream shock.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
Try out some Gold Dots, HST's, Ranger t, PDX1...etc and see what you shoot the best. I would stick with 124gr and above. The barnes copper bullet loaded by either Corbon, Blackhills, and some others is the only 115gr round I would consider, but, they are quite a bit more expensive than the rounds I mentioned and won't do the job any less or more effectively (unless you shoot them much better of course).

Like mentioned above, stay away from the Extreme shock. It's a frangible round that under penetrates and the price is an absolute joke. For around what it costs for 10 of those you can get 50 rounds of quality ammo that will actually be up to the task. The stuff is a joke...
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 15395
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDarmy View Post
An awesome writeup of different SD ammo. I personally went with the 147g Federal HST JHP after reading this link but there is a good list of suggested 9mm SD ammo.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
+1.

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ!
SpringerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

9mm, ccw, over penatration

Search tags for this page
145 grain 9mm hollow point
147g 9mm federal hst review
9mm 145 grain hollow point
9mm sd
best 9mm mushroom bullet
best defense ammo cz 75b 9mm
best hollow points for cz pcr
best sd round in 9mm
glock 26 sd hp ammo

hornady tap vs critical defense 9mm

how to site in my sd 9mm
is a 9 mm a good s/d round

sd round

sd rounds

truglo red dot tru brite open dot sight. can they be used on handguns.
will hst rounds go through barriers
Click on a term to search for related topics.