• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm SD rounds

This is a discussion on 9mm SD rounds within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by gunnut1012 cuda66 you make a very valid point. i havent been able to get out and do my on testing on hollow ...

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1012 View Post
cuda66 you make a very valid point. i havent been able to get out and do my on testing on hollow points so my data has come from the internet and balistic gel testing. but i ahve to ask why you dislike extream shock.
Simple. First off, it simply doesn't live up to it's claims. It has a nasty tendency of NOT coming apart when it hits walls, and becoming a serious overpenetrator.

Second--IF it expands in a soft target, it underpenetrates. Underpenetration is not a good thing.

Third--while it does a great job on watermelons, it doesn't do a good job in anything else. And I'm not going to be attacked by watermelons at any point.

Fourth--How much is it going to cost you to verify your pistol likes it; the minimum amount to do this is at least one entire magazine out of every magaznine you're going to use for self defense...for the same amoutn, you could likley buy a couple hundred rounds of a reliable defensive load and verify your pistol feeds it well.

Fifth--if it was really so darn good...why don't any major LE agencies use it? Heck, you'd think it would be perfect for, say, Sky Marshal use...except they use Gold Dots. Why is that, I wonder?

And a bit more on overpenetration (and why one really shouldn;t worry about it) buy one of the foremost experts in the terminal ballistics field (and one of the guys who gave the info in the earlier posted link)... The Presumptive Hazards of Over-Penetration - M4Carbine.net Forums

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc82much View Post
I use Extreme Shock (extremeshockusa.com). Shot 5-6 bad guys and not one survived.
Quote:
thanks for the feed back marc82much. extream schock will going on thie list to test.
No need to test it, it has already been tested by professionals and it's been found to be crap. Over priced crap. I'd rather use cheap WWB HPs than ES crap, hell I'd use Hornady CD before ES and I HATE HORNADY CD for the gimmick round it is.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27854
After reading the link on self defense bullet retainded weight and expansion. One bullet stands way out in front of the pack and it is the one Cuda66 mentioned. The barnes lawman all copper hollow point. So if you want a 115 gr DPX 9mm that is the winner, hands down.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
No need to test it, it has already been tested by professionals and it's been found to be crap. Over priced crap. I'd rather use cheap WWB HPs than ES crap, hell I'd use Hornady CD before ES and I HATE HORNADY CD for the gimmick round it is.
Heck, I'd sooner carry Silver Bear JHP's...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64471
Ok so extreme shock is WAY out. Winchester PDX1, barns lawman, gold dots and the HST are going on the list. Thanks for the feed back guys.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Ok so extreme shock is WAY out. Winchester PDX1, barns lawman, gold dots and the HST are going on the list. Thanks for the feed back guys.
IF I were worried about over penetration, I would NOT put any bonded JHP on ym list. They are designed to stay together & penetrate deep. So std cup/core light wts like the Fedral 115gr+P+ are less likley to leave the target on a marginal hit (think am or leg, etc). Since I do NOT worry that much about over penetration, the rounds on your list are all good choices.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63958
HST's in 124 or 147 both standard and +P,
Gold Dots,
Ranger/PDX-1.
If you like FMJ, S&B has a 115 gr load at 1300 fps and 464 ft-lbs of energy.
Would make a nice stagger load if your into that ?
You really can't go wrong with the JHP's listed though !
Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
HST's in 124 or 147 both standard and +P,
Gold Dots,
Ranger/PDX-1.
If you like FMJ, S&B has a 115 gr load at 1300 fps and 464 ft-lbs of energy.
Would make a nice stagger load if your into that ?
You really can't go wrong with the JHP's listed though !
I use the S&B police ball load in my spare mag when I carry the XD9. Good ammo and accurate too.

Fiocchi makes an equal load in 115 too, they also have a truncated 124fmj that faster than 124 PDX1 +P. Thank god we have CIP spec ammo available for us to load up
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Boris I knew you would have to throw in that CIP thing.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43658
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
Boris I knew you would have to throw in that CIP thing.
For sure.

If you are going to carry ball you are going to want it to be as fast as possible. That eliminates every domestic made SAAMI ball load unless you use M882 ball.

cuda66
The Silver Bear 145 jhp actually works very good. Its accurate and never had one fail to expand. Heck even the 9x18 Makarov jhp has never failed me and I carry it regularly. I like it better than the gold dot or xtp in that caliber. It IS that good....
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

9mm, ccw, over penatration

Search tags for this page
147g 9mm federal hst review
9mm 145 grain hollow point
9mm sd
best 9mm ammo for self defense in cz 75 compact
best 9mm mushroom bullet
best defense ammo cz 75b 9mm
best hollow points for cz pcr
best sd round in 9mm
best-rated 9mm hollow point
glock 26 sd hp ammo

hornady tap vs critical defense 9mm

is a 9 mm a good s/d round

sd round

sd rounds

truglo red dot tru brite open dot sight. can they be used on handguns.
will hst rounds go through barriers
Click on a term to search for related topics.