• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Why carry .357 vs. 9mm vs. .40?

This is a discussion on Why carry .357 vs. 9mm vs. .40? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; My buddy has a Sig P229 with interchangeable barrels. He has all 3 calibers, but chooses to carry in .357 as his EDC weapon and ...

Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
Why carry .357 vs. 9mm vs. .40?

My buddy has a Sig P229 with interchangeable barrels. He has all 3 calibers, but chooses to carry in .357 as his EDC weapon and caliber.

What are the Pro/Cons of carrying .357?

Why carry this vs. 9mm vs. .40 cal?

Help me to understand his choice.
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
If you do a search you'll find many many many threads discussing this. The sig is a solution in search of a problem. The 40 and 9mm are good round and you can carry either depending on which you shoot faster and more accurate. That's what it comes down to.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27723
Personal decision really. Some people believe the increased velocity of the .357 sig causes more damage or will have a hydrostatic effect.

Some .357 sig ammo will come close to .357 magnum velocity, and .357 mag has a very good rep as a man stopper.

That's really the only reason, any of them will do just fine as long shot placement is good.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

No mythical hydrostatic shock, only temp cavity tear and pistol rounds, even the mighty .357mag will not do this. The 357mag had a rep as a good stopper back when HPs didn't reliably expand at less than magnum velocities. According to a CHIPS study the .40 has out performed the .357mag in Officer Involved Shooting incidents ever since they changed over.
Quote:
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
No mythical hydrostatic shock, only temp cavity tear and pistol rounds, even the mighty .357mag will not do this. The 357mag had a rep as a good stopper back when HPs didn't reliably expand at less than magnum velocities. According to a CHIPS study the .40 has out performed the .357mag in Officer Involved Shooting incidents ever since they changed over.
I think that is mostly attributed to the pistol being easier to get good hits w/ than a revolver for the minimally trained (LEO).
It's all about making the biggest holes you can make in your target as quickly as possible. Does that make one caliber better than another, maybe. It's tough to discount any wounding potential as insignificant (temp cav). Anything you can do to add to the wounding ability the better IMO. As long as you can handle the caliber, no such thing as too much. The 357sig & 45acp offer sim. perm & temp cavities, that & the 357sig being easier to shoot than sim size 40s is why I would choose one over the other, but reality, I am not married to any caliber. I tend to let the platform dictate. The smaller & lighter the gun, the smaller & lighter caliber for me.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
XDTalk 15K Member

I found the 357sig to have excessive muzzle blast compared to a .40 both 4" XDs.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
to add to the internet .40 vs 9mm debate...

I would say it's well documented and valid to bring up that an officer just snuffed a grizzly bear with 1 shot from a .40 cal not 50 miles from where I sit.

also I read a .357 sig might "over penetrate" so its probably not a great SD round. I don't know though. I just read it.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 47117
I chose the 40 because they didn't have an xd45 in the shop at the time. Ive shot several different 40s, and decided on the sc. I didn't choose 9mm, because I was never accurate with one, until I shot my buddies 5960 and 92f.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
XDTalk 15K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
to add to the internet .40 vs 9mm debate...

I would say it's well documented and valid to bring up that an officer just snuffed a grizzly bear with 1 shot from a .40 cal not 50 miles from where I sit.

also I read a .357 sig might "over penetrate" so its probably not a great SD round. I don't know though. I just read it.
Nope. The .357 sig does not penetrate any better than the 9mm in tissue. It does do a bit better job when going through sheet metal then tissue.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
Nope. The .357 sig does not penetrate any better than the 9mm in tissue. It does do a bit better job when going through sheet metal then tissue.

I think I want a .357 barrel.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.357 sig vs .40

.357 vs .40

.357 vs 40 cal
.40 .357 9mm

.40 vs .357

.40 vs 9mm vs .357
357 caliber vs 9mm
357 sig vs 40
357 vs 40 cal

357 vs 9mm

40 cal vs 357 magnum
9mm vs .357
9mm vs .40 vs 357 sig

9mm vs 357

9mm vs 357 caliber
9mm vs 40 vs 357
Click on a term to search for related topics.