• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

how to use factory crimp die

This is a discussion on how to use factory crimp die within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I've started reloading again after a 12 year hiatus. I added a factory crimp die to my .45 ACP setup (all Lee stuff). Presently, I ...

Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 55763
how to use factory crimp die

I've started reloading again after a 12 year hiatus. I added a factory crimp die to my .45 ACP setup (all Lee stuff). Presently, I do all the crimping with the bullet seating die and use the factory crimp die as a check. 95% of the loads go thru the FC die with no friction. Is this the way to do it or should I back off the crimp with the seating die, using it just for bullet depth and do most of the crimping with the factory crimp die?
Kongsberg Colt 11.25mm 1941
Colt Series 70 1911
Ruger SR1911
FNH FNS-9
Ruger Blackhawk .45ACP/.45LC
Ruger 22/45 .22
DPMS Oracle AR-15
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 7648
That is kind of what I have been doing with 40 and 45. I do put a very light crimp with the seater and a light crimp with the FCD.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Personnaly, I will NOT use the LFCD, it's just not needed & can actually hurt accuracy depending on the bullets used. If you are using one, then you should be crimping w/ it & seating w/ the other. SOme test targets that I shot, all @ 50ft, my best 1911. I would just get another Lee seating die & crimp & seat in separate dies. The LFCD causes as many problems as it solves.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
I've fired over 250,000 of my reloads over the past 15 years, most loaded using Lee FCDs. No problems yet; however, I don't load nekked lead. I either use Precision black bullets, plated, or jacketed.

If you're using the FCD, then you don't crimp AT ALL with the seater die.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmar View Post
I've fired over 250,000 of my reloads over the past 15 years, most loaded using Lee FCDs. No problems yet; however, I don't load nekked lead. I either use Precision black bullets, plated, or jacketed.

If you're using the FCD, then you don't crimp AT ALL with the seater die.
So you have NOT noticed a drop off in accuracy or you have not tested the accuracy? The worst performers were the plated bullets. Hard cast lead didn't seem an issue. Jacketed accuracy wasn't great either.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
So you have NOT noticed a drop off in accuracy or you have not tested the accuracy? The worst performers were the plated bullets. Hard cast lead didn't seem an issue. Jacketed accuracy wasn't great either.
Never shoot any lead. Do notice a significant difference, of course, when plated bullets are crimped too tightly. Never any problems with jacketed bullets.

If the FCD is deforming either lead or plated bullets, of course accuracy will suffer.

FWIW, I rarely feel the sizing ring doing anything when I'm using the FCD. I just like the way it crimps and the way the crimp is adjusted.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 58505
I use the FCD is to remove the bell from the case. I could do it by carefully adjusting the seating die, but the sizing ring on the FCD does it without adjustment and there is no drop off in accuracy with lead, plated or jacketed bullets. That's with 45 ACP and 40 S&W. For 38/357, I do use the FCD to put a roll crimp on the bullet and having separate dies for each operation is a plus. Could I make do without the FCD? Probably, but it doesn't hurt either (for me).
rsrocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
I use the FCD is to remove the bell from the case. I could do it by carefully adjusting the seating die, but the sizing ring on the FCD does it without adjustment and there is no drop off in accuracy with lead, plated or jacketed bullets. That's with 45 ACP and 40 S&W. For 38/357, I do use the FCD to put a roll crimp on the bullet and having separate dies for each operation is a plus. Could I make do without the FCD? Probably, but it doesn't hurt either (for me).
Well, my targets don't lie & others report siom results using the LFCD. It was never necessary, still isn't. If you seat & crimp in separate steps like many do, just buy another conventional seating die & remove the seating stem to crimp only.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34248
I only tested the FCD in 9mm and 45 acp and had the same results as Fred.
The only difference was, my accuracy tests were at 50 yards not 50 feet. At 50 yards, the FCD increased group size from 30%-75% depending on the bullet used and die adjustment.

The 9mm die I gave away. I bashed the carbide ring out of the 45 die and still use it today as a crimp only die so, that would be my recommendation on how best to use one.

Jeff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
45 acp crimp die used
factory crimp die setup
how do i set my factory crimp dies
how to crimp .45acp with lee die
how to crimp a loaded carttrige
how to use lee factory crimp die
is factory crimp necessary

lee 45 acp factory crimp die

lee crimp die 45 acp
lee factory crimp die 45 acp
lee factory crimp die 45 acp adjustment
lee factory crimp die for 45 acp
lee factory crimp die setup
setting the crimp die for the 45 acp
should i crimp the 45. acp
what is the crimp on 45acp
Click on a term to search for related topics.