• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Acceptable variance in OAL?

This is a discussion on Acceptable variance in OAL? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Well I just got my 9mm 115gr FMRN bullets in yesterday, and did a dry run on expanding, seating, and crimping with just cases and ...

Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 36123
Acceptable variance in OAL?

Well I just got my 9mm 115gr FMRN bullets in yesterday, and did a dry run on expanding, seating, and crimping with just cases and bullets. I'm trying to get as close to the min OAL recommended in my lees 2nd reloading manual of 1.120 with 5.1gr of unique w/ a 115gr jacked bullet. I notice that I would usually get .122 or .119, now I realize that not all bullets are sized the same as I checked them. Is there an acceptable variance in OAL?

Pt 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

How to: Duracoat your XDM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Rebirth of a XDM

When it comes to war, it's not about who's right....but who's left.........
vash_241987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
That is well withing the nose shape variation form bullet to bullet, not an issue. When you get to 0.04" variation, things start to change pressure wise.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47505
I tested a few loads today with Unique. Through my 4" XD I found 5.5grs with a COAL of 1.120 to shoot well. I gave myself a +/- .002" tolerance in COAL. I don't know if I am in the wrong with that assumption, so someone please correct me if so. I am just beginning to reload, but I like the results so far. Recoil is a bit more than Wally World Federal, but very manageable.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 36123
I did a test run today with 115 gr with 5 of each unique loads 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5 out of my xdm9 4.5. All fed well and OAL ranged from 1.117-1.124. My accuracy sucked at 10yds, I tried my best to get a good rest with a backpack on the trunk of my car, 5.2 gr gave the best grouping.

Pt 2

How to: Duracoat your XDM

Rebirth of a XDM

When it comes to war, it's not about who's right....but who's left.........
vash_241987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Old Timer

Member #: 51906
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash_241987 View Post
Well I just got my 9mm 115gr FMRN bullets in yesterday, and did a dry run on expanding, seating, and crimping with just cases and bullets. I'm trying to get as close to the min OAL recommended in my lees 2nd reloading manual of 1.120 with 5.1gr of unique w/ a 115gr jacked bullet. I notice that I would usually get .122 or .119, now I realize that not all bullets are sized the same as I checked them. Is there an acceptable variance in OAL?
I can't offer you any hard numbers but I can say that there can be as much as .004 variance in ammo that had been exactly the same just by being loaded/unloaded multiple times. I've never had a problem shooting it with amount of variance. TIFWIT

A man who feels he must ask for freedom surrenders it by doing so.

I am a Man and for that no apology is offered.
mbquimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbquimby View Post
I can't offer you any hard numbers but I can say that there can be as much as .004 variance in ammo that had been exactly the same just by being loaded/unloaded multiple times. I've never had a problem shooting it with amount of variance. TIFWIT
I can give hard numbers. A variation of 0.004" is easily within the variation for bullet nose shapes. That is like a sheet of paper in diff. Pressure signs do NOT start showing up until you are pushing 0.040", & in some rounds, like the 45acp, not until you get 0.060". I have run chronograph test, same loads just seating deeper. With all things being the same, pressure = velocity. You'll see a very noticeable vel/pressure increase above 0.040" deeper seating & it is not linear. This is for the 357sig as put out by ATK: http://le.atk.com/pdf/357_SIG_Setbac...s-Pressure.pdf

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Old Timer

I love this site. There is always someone out there with something smart to say. I might just learn something from you clowns. Good info, thanks. Comparing it to a piece of paper puts it into perspective.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
I love this sight. There is always someone out there with something smart to say. I might just learn something from you clowns. Good info, thanks. Comparing it to a piece of paper puts it into perspective.
Hmm, your sig line needs to be changed if you are going to toss around "clown" as a term of indearment.
FWIW, rechambering certain calibers can cause setback severe enough to cause an over pressure event. You should always check your carrry ammo against factory fresh & make sure the bullet isn't moving.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Hmm, your sig line needs to be changed if you are going to toss around "clown" as a term of indearment.
FWIW, rechambering certain calibers can cause setback severe enough to cause an over pressure event. You should always check your carrry ammo against factory fresh & make sure the bullet isn't moving.
You'll have to excuse my crude term of endearment. It's something I picked up from a Gunny I had. If he called us clowns, we knew we did something right....strange, I know, but habit forming.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
You'll have to excuse my crude term of endearment. It's something I picked up from a Gunny I had. If he called us clowns, we knew we did something right....strange, I know, but habit forming.
I am only poking fun. You wouldn't add a thanks if you were being condescending, I don't think so anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

9mm oal variance

acceptable oal variance

is a variance ever acceptable

is a variance ever acceptable?

is there an acceptable variance

is there an acceptable variance?
is there an acceptable variance? is a variance ever acceptable?
oal for 9mm
oal for reloading

oal variance reloading

reloading oal

reloading oal variation

Click on a term to search for related topics.