• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is this what a .223 bullet is supposed to look like?

This is a discussion on Is this what a .223 bullet is supposed to look like? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I got some older factory reman ammo that is probably atleast 20 years old I pulled one bullet just for curiosity sake and this is ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Is this what a .223 bullet is supposed to look like?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
Is this what a .223 bullet is supposed to look like?

I got some older factory reman ammo that is probably atleast 20 years old

I pulled one bullet just for curiosity sake and this is what I found......

I guess I just assumed .223 bullets had a tapered tail......

not a big deal, just curious

thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55972
it's been a while since I've had my mini 14, but that looks about right. I know some varieties of .223 have the boat tail, is that the taper you are talking about?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 51259
Is the ammo listed at "boat tail" or not?

I have .223 bullets for reloading that are not boat tail, and they have a 90 degree base.
ksbsnowowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectednite View Post
it's been a while since I've had my mini 14, but that looks about right. I know some varieties of .223 have the boat tail, is that the taper you are talking about?
if boat tail is the term for it....lol....standby ill have to google

EDIT:

google is your friend

yes, a boat tail, I just assumed it would have one, i just don't know any better and figured Id learn by taking one apart

like this one.....its has a boat tail

IWB

OWB
Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55972
Here's some Federal HP's with a Boat Tail, is that kind of what you were envisioning?
Federal Cartridge 223 Remington by Federal - 223 Rem 55gr Sier-BTHP V-Shok 20 P223E
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
Is the ammo listed at "boat tail" or not?

I have .223 bullets for reloading that are not boat tail, and they have a 90 degree base.
nope, not listed, just in a sealed white box labeled "factory remanufactured"

IWB

OWB
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56494
Flat-base .223 is pretty normal stuff. It's less wind-kicking than boat-tail, and I don't, knowing this, understand why anybody made it. Perhaps it was for tracers? You have to have somewhere to put the phosphorus.
boltstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Thanks for the quick responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectednite View Post
Here's some Federal HP's with a Boat Tail, is that kind of what you were envisioning?
Federal Cartridge 223 Remington by Federal - 223 Rem 55gr Sier-BTHP V-Shok 20 P223E
yup, just thought they were all that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltstop View Post
Flat-base .223 is pretty normal stuff. It's less wind-kicking than boat-tail, and I don't, knowing this, understand why anybody made it. Perhaps it was for tracers? You have to have somewhere to put the phosphorus.
thats good to know

I wasnt even aware there were different tails

IWB

OWB
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43658
Thats a 30-06 bullet. You sure you got that from a .223???
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14109
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmp22 View Post
I got some older factory reman ammo that is probably atleast 20 years old

I pulled one bullet just for curiosity sake and this is what I found......

I guess I just assumed .223 bullets had a tapered tail......

not a big deal, just curious

thanks in advance
That's just a standard flat base soft point with cannelure...looks like a Remington PSP. Perfectly acceptable for use inside 300 yards (the point at which a boattail will start to show its superior ballistic coefficient). It's actually fine for use at any distance a 223 is good for, it will simply shed velocity and drop a little more quickly than a boattail of the same weight starting out at the same speed. Often, the flat base is more accurate, and if I know my shots will be inside 300, I load the flatties.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
223 cal ammo looks like
223 caliber rifle round show me what it looks like
what does 223 ammo look like
what does 223 amo look like
what does 223 bullet look like

what does a .223 bullet look like

what does a .223 bullet look like?
what does a .44-40 caliber bullet looks like
what does a 22-250 bullet look like
what does a 223 bullet look like
what does a 223 bullet look lke
what does a 223 caliber bullet look like
what does a 223 cartridge look like
what does a 243 ammunition look like
what does a round of 243 look like
whats 223 ammo look like
Click on a term to search for related topics.