• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Installing a PID on my Lee Pro furnace

This is a discussion on Installing a PID on my Lee Pro furnace within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Not familair with your particular controller, but it probably will benefit from some tuning. Most of them do not teach themselves and arrive programmed with ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Installing a PID on my Lee Pro furnace

Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55412
Not familair with your particular controller, but it probably will benefit from some tuning. Most of them do not teach themselves and arrive programmed with Proportional Integral and Derivative factors that will minimize overshoot but stabilize slowly. Since it appears the pot is not well insulated, you can handle a bit of overshoot and shorten how long you have to wait to cast. You won't want to get too aggressive, though. Your mass (and thus the response) will be constantly changing as you take molten metal out of the pot. Aggressively tuned controllers will cause oscillation when something changes the response rate. I have programmed furnace controllers in the past, and it was pretty fun (but completely nerdy).
libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
I was watching a video on the master caster as I read this.
Star lubrisizer + master caster = consistent, high quality, high volume lead bullet production. Magma engineering has some great products.
Mine is nice, bought it years agou when they were "affordable". It isn;t any faster than a Lee 20#BP & 6cav mold, but you can cast for hours if you want, just pull the handle. Magma also makes some nice molds, but only two cav. Yes, I use a Star luber/sizer too. I don't have that much time & the Star is eaily twice as fast as any other.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52814
Next step was to determine where to mount the aluminum housing for the PID Controller. I decided to mount it on the back of the Lee housing and low enough so that radiant heat won't have a direct effect on the PID controller face. I attached it with a couple of screws and then drilled a hole to pass a couple of wires for powering the PID and controlling the SSR.

Sig Tac Light w/laser | Hogue G10 Grips | .22 lr conversion
Sig 522 .22 lr
EoTech XPS2-0 | UTG Tactical OP Bipod
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
XDTalk 100 Member

Now, I'm ready to start wiring it up. First was to get power to the PID. I soldered the wires onto the existing power wires to keep things simple and allow me to remove it easily if needed in the future.

Next, I wired up the heater circuit to add the relay into the loop. Again, I did some soldering for a couple of wires and put heat shrink (green piece in pic) over the connector that used to go to the other coil contact.

Finally, I ran a wire from the PID relay output to the relay and hooked up the thermocouple to the PID. Now it's all wired up and ready for re-assembly.

Sig 522 .22 lr
Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Re-assembly consisted of installing 8 screws for the PID housing and 7 screws for the Lee Pot housing. Quite easy and no left over hardware. The thermocouple wire was way too long for my needs so I coiled it up and tucked it in the PID housing.

Here is the final assembled Pot with the PID controller attached from all four angles. I still need to come up with something to hold the thermocouple in the pot and just off the bottom. I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Sig 522 .22 lr
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Here is the wiring diagram that I used:

It came out of the PID Instruction Manual.

I have not wired up the alarm yet and don't know if will use it. My initial thoughts were to set it to around 670F so that when it came up to temperature and I added more lead, it would let me know that it was working on bringing the temperature back up. I'll play with it later and see if it is a useful function or if it turns out to be an irritation.
Sig 522 .22 lr
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Now the final test of the night...plug it in! This is always a bit nerve racking for me. I've messed up a wiring project for a water cooled computer before and smoked the power supply. I plug it in and the PID lights up! No smoke so that's good. Everything seems to be working fine.

The PID started to display the temperature of the thermocouple: 78F. I grasp it in my hand and see the temperature start to climb. This means I did not wire up the thermocouple backwards.

I bring up the temperature set point to around 120F and stick the thermocouple in the pot. I hear the heater come on and it starts to get warm. About 30 seconds later, the temp of the thermocouple starts climbing until it reaches 120F and then the relay opens to turn off the heater. Success!

There are a lot of settings in the PID. Tomorrow I will melt some lead and start setting up the PID. There is an auto-tune mode that I hope will take care of the settings for me. If this doesn't provide the control I want, I will then have to manually tweak some settings.
Sig 522 .22 lr
Old 05-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Here is the front panel of the controller. This is also taken from the manual but I thought I'd throw it in here to give you an idea of the flexibility of this little device.

1. PV display: Indicates the sensor read out, or process value (PV).
  2. SV display: Indicates the set value (SV) or output value (%).
  3. AL1 indicator: It lights up when AL1 relay is on.
  4. AL2 indicator: It lights up when AL2 relay is on.
  5. A-M indicator: The light indicates that the controller is in manual mode. For the controllers with the Ramp/Soak option, this light indicates that the program is running.
  6. Output indicator: It is synchronized with control output (terminal 7 and , and the power to the load. When it is on, the heater (or cooler) is powered.
  7. SET key: When it is pressed momentarily, the controller will switch the lower (SV) display between set value and percentage of output. When pressed and held for two seconds will put the controller into parameter setting mode.
  8. Automatic/Manual function key (A/M) /Data shift key
  9. Decrement key ▼: Decreases numeric value of the setting value.
  10. Increment key ▲: Increases numeric value of the setting value.
Sig 522 .22 lr
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #19
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Pretty cool. If I decide to do something sim, I'll buzz you up & you can walk me thru the wiring. DOn't mind melting my pot down, but not a fan of burning the garage down.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

I completed the last two items on this project. That is....until I come up with more items to complete.

I used a wire coat hanger for my thermocouple holder. It is easily removable and works great. I made it hanging off the side so I can handle it while melting without gloves. I did test the temperature difference between being in the center and being close to the edge. The edge was about 5-10 higher depending on how close it was. In general I'll keep it in the center and about 1/2" off the bottom but I have the flexibility to move it around as needed.

Next was a cover for the PID. Lead could potentially splash on the PID and cause some issues. I had some Lexan laying around so made a cover to go over the PID with it. Now I have a barrier to protect the PID. It's hard to make out in the picture but the cover is there!
Sig 522 .22 lr

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

1/16 din box

archery work bench
controller lead pot
how to install pid controller to a lead cast furnace

how to install pid on lee 20 lbs pot

how to wire a pid for casting furnace
installing a pid controller on a lead melting pot

lee melter furnace review

lee pot pid

lee pro 4 20 lb furnace pid

lyman mag 25 lead melting furnace vs rcbs pro-melt furnace

pid controller lead pot
pid for lead casting
pid on lee pot
pid schematic lead pot
temperature controller td4-snr solid state relay project
Click on a term to search for related topics.