• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Who else thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices?

This is a discussion on Who else thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Who else out there thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices? I noticed how ammo is readily available now, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Who else thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 57015
Who else thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices?

Who else out there thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices? I noticed how ammo is readily available now, but the price has not gone down. I just bought a box of winchester while fmj 50 rounds 9mm for $12.00 on sale. It seems to me that you could by 100 rounds at that price not too long ago, and that was regular price.
Russ7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 54990
Ammo prices will rise, but never go down.
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
Not me. I think it was market forces at work, e.g. supply, demand, two wars, the Chinese, etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27854
It's called supply and demand. When the demand is greater than the supply, prices go up because it is a sellers market, they know it will be sold regardless of the price. Remember when everyone was buying every box of ammo they could find? Now the demand is lower than the available supplies so the prices are comming back down (some) or going on sale.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ7777 View Post
Who else out there thinks the ammo shortage last year was just a way to raise prices? I noticed how ammo is readily available now, but the price has not gone down. I just bought a box of winchester while fmj 50 rounds 9mm for $12.00 on sale. It seems to me that you could by 100 rounds at that price not too long ago, and that was regular price.
My thought...people paniced thinking the current administration was going to impose some type of tax and started to hoard ammo.

This could also cause a run on ammunition if it gains any traction;
Senators Battle Environmentalists Seeking to Ban Lead in Ammunition, Fishing Tackle - FoxNews.com
Mudpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53740
Yeh; they gas-companied us..LOL!!
Beretta 92FS
S&W 1911
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
GuysXD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48048
Prices are going to go up again, here in a month or two. The reason: Base metal prices are going up, it has nothing to do with manipulation, just pure supply and demand.
IndianaGeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27854
What happened to ammo is now happening to gasoline. Because oil supply is low, demand for gas is up and prices are skyrocketing. Are you still buying gas or are you waiting for prices to come back down? My guess you are still buying gas and if you had a 500 gallon storage tank you would fill it up at current prices before it gets even higher. Demand is higher than supply.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 54990
All I can say, is I'm glad I got in to reloading!
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpaw View Post
My thought...people paniced thinking the current administration was going to impose some type of tax and started to hoard ammo.

This could also cause a run on ammunition if it gains any traction;
Senators Battle Environmentalists Seeking to Ban Lead in Ammunition, Fishing Tackle - FoxNews.com
Exactly! The shortage started two years ago, not one. I knew people that didn't own guns that were buying ammo. That & the two wars, yeah, I would expect shortages. Didn't bother me, I reload, but then primers started getting shorted too. Which also didn't bother me as we had primer shortages in 90-91 from a rumor that CLinton was going to have them reformulated to go bad after several years. Never underestimate market forces. It's why we have $4 gas right now, speculators driving the future oil prices higher.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
how long is ammno shortage going to be
how long is the ammo shortage going to last
how long is this ammo shortage going to last

how long will ammo shortage last

how long will the 22 ammo shortage last
is the shortage of ammo ever gonna get better
when are .22 ammunition going to be readily available
when are 22 shells going to be available
when can we expect 22 ammo to be readily available

when is ammo going to be available

when is ammo going to be reaely available
when is ammo going to more avable
when is ammunition going to be available
when will .22 long rifle ammo be readily available again
when will ammo be more readily available
when will ammo be readily available
Click on a term to search for related topics.