• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.40 S&W - 165 gr. vs. 180 gr.

This is a discussion on .40 S&W - 165 gr. vs. 180 gr. within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by mtnshikaku This is a great idea for all the reasons listed, clearing misfires to observing your trigger control issues. Just load a ...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 57161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnshikaku View Post
This is a great idea for all the reasons listed, clearing misfires to observing your trigger control issues. Just load a cap or two in different orders in a few different magazines (1st mag, cap at 3rd and 9th rnd, mag #2, 5th and 11th, mag#3 . . . . - - - by the time you've loaded a random magazine into your pistol, you won't know when the cap will be chambered. Works for me.

To piggy back on Agalindo's comment about muzzle flash - - - try loading a couple 165's followed by a couple 180's, and pay attention to the felt recoil and noise level of the two different rounds - notice anything different? Likely there's a difference, and as he alluded, you're subconsciously noticing it and then anticipating it, which is affecting your shots.

You mentioned your groupings were better centered with the heavier rounds - this is very likely because you were able to execute better trigger control for some reason. I bet you experienced what I did firing some 180 grn rounds . . .

You asked about cheaper ammo - I bought some 180 grain Tula ammo a while back to give them a try in my XDm 40 4.5", mostly because they were heavier, I was curious to see what they would do, I'd read mixed reviews of them, and best of all they were about $4 per 100 cheaper than the 165 grn FMJFN WWB at my local Walmart. They (Tulas) do have significantly less felt recoil, and are significantly quieter. Based on that, you'd think I would shoot them better. (It may be why you shot your 180s better.) I surely can shoot them longer and with less effort and fatigue than the snappier, faster, louder 165 WWBs, and I do like that. But in my gun and in a supported stance at 15 yards or off my rest at 25 yards, the Tulas are not as consistent as the WWB's and result in a looser group with more fliers. So nope, I don't actually hit with them better. But to be fair to the Tulas, I can hit with them good enough for what I want to do with them. And I can enjoy shooting more of them at a time because of the reduced felt recoil.

The pros - - 10% cheaper than WWB; much easier on the felt recoil and sound; shoots decent enough groups for fun range plinking; every round went bang, punched a hole thru paper , or knocked over a steel plate; and less packaging waste (go green).

A few cons - - the round is a much dirtier round, 100 Tulas crapped up things more than 500 WWBs (but that just means a lil extra cleaning, no big deal IMO); the steel brass isn't as conducive to reloading (or trading in to reload); the bimetal jacketing - steel/copper - isn't allowed at some indoor ranges (no prob for me, I live in the country and shoot on my own range); I had 3 FTFeeds from one 50 round box of Tulas.

Bottom line - if you don't mind a little extra cleaning, you're doing shorter range shooting without a need for high precision, and you want to get some practice on your clearing drills, buy some Tulas and save some money and your joints!

I do like the WWBs, they may not be top end, but they do just fine in my gun, and I can get very satisfactory groups centered on the bull with them.

Well . . . . . . Most days!

Good luck to you, welcome to the forum and keep working on your trigger control and dryfiring!
Thanks for the tip of loading up 3 or 4 mags including the snap caps well in advance of getting to the range. I'll definitely try this. And thanks for the ammo review. I'll keep an eye out for the Tulas.
CoolHandXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
I'm the same way. My groups are better with the factory loads @180 GR. However, I started reloading again in January. I bought 2500 135 GR bullets, and have worked up a ~950 fps load that is super soft shooting.

With those I can shoot a ragged hole.
Cool. I'd love to get into reloading some day.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
When you see fire coming out the end of your barrel, you know then your not flinching.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
As Nextxxd says, if you can call your shots you know your not flinching. As soon as you squeeze the trigger you should know where that shot is going to hit. You should also see you front sight rise then come back on target.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
As Nextxxd says, if you can call your shots you know your not flinching. As soon as you squeeze the trigger you should know where that shot is going to hit. You should also see you front sight rise then come back on target.
Good tips from both of you; thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41441
I have not noticed any difference between 165 & 180 gr. (for the most part) myself.

XD(m) .40 S&W 4.5"
TruGlo TFO Sights
LaserMax Uni-Max Red
Streamlight TLR-1
Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove
CoolHunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 50458
In both factory and re-loads I can't tell much difference either.

My name is Jim, but most people call me ......... Jim.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
jimdanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #18
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandXDM View Post
Yeah I know WWB isn't top shelf, but I have a hard time trying to convince myself to spend even more money. Any ammo suggestions that you prefer?

I've been happy with "Zero" branded factory re-loaded ammo from Rose Distribution. Last order of 1000 165gr jhp was 269 to my door. They have both gone up in price and are now taking 120-150 days from order. (yeah, business is good).

I'm thinking about getting a few "spare" rounds from this place.
40 cal | SGAmmo.com

Only a bit more spendy than the ZERO stuff, but it's top shelf stuff.

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 65518
I have a xDm .40 3.8 Compact with factory sights and about 1200 rounds through it. I am not happy with the accuracy of it at all. I did a little test yesterday. I placed 2 targets at approximately 25 yards. Using a pistol rest I shot 1 target with 180 gr Blazer Brass. I shot the other target with 165 gr American Eagle. I held at the same location. The consistently shot a tighter group with the 180 gr. The 165 shot a few inches low too. I don't believe I was flinching either, I could see the light coming out of the barrel when I shot. I also shot some Winchester PDX1 180 gr at 25 yards and my grouping was a little better than from the Blazer but not what I thought it should be. I think I should be shooting a tight pattern.
I them performed the same test at approximately 50 yards. The grouping of the 180 gr grew quite a bit. The 165 gr shot so low that only 1 of 5 hit the paper on the human size target.
I continued to shoot and I'm still not happy with the accuracy. I am going to perform some more test list this using the same brand ammo and add in some other brands that I have which include Magtech and PMC to see how it shoots from the rest. I might spring for some more expensive ammo to test.
My questions is, could this just be an issue with shooting too long of distance for the shorter barrel? Does anyone else have accuracy issues out of their xDm 3.8? I have shot other people's Glocks and Sigs and I shoot them MUCH better. I really don't want to see my xDm but I am honestly thinking about it.
gredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721

This thread is over a year old.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

165 grain, 180 grain, 40 s&w, ammo, xdm

Search tags for this page
.40 s&w 165 vs 180
165 grain 40 s&w
165 grain vs 180 grain
165 grain vs 180 grain in a .40 bullet
165 or 180 grain 40 s&w
165 vs 180 gr .40 s&w
165 vs 180 grain
165gr vs 180gr .40

180 grain 40 s&w

180 grain vs 165
180 grain vs 165 grain
180 vs 165 grain
180gr vs 165gr .40
40 s&w 165 gr vs 180 gr
40 s&w 165 vs 180
difference between 165 grain and 180 grain
Click on a term to search for related topics.