• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm recipes

This is a discussion on 9mm recipes within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I got my first 9 (xd) first of the year and I'm looking for that perfect recipe for it. Been reloading since 80"s and have ...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 51886
Smile 9mm recipes

I got my first 9 (xd) first of the year and I'm looking for that perfect recipe for it. Been reloading since 80"s and have Bullseye,Red Dot, Blue Dot, Unique,231, and recently picked up Titegroup along with Clays for powders. Any and all favorite recipes for your XD9 you would like to share will be appreciated. Thanks in advance and good shooting to you all.
Darrell

PS Love this site.
4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I shoot 4.0 gr of Red Dot over a lead cast 124gr TC. I've also had good luck with 4.0gr of TG, 4.0gr of Bullseye over the same 124gr lead TC.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 31254
Here's my load data for XD9 Tactical:
- Bullet: Montana Gold 124 gr CMJ
- Primer: Federal
- Casing: mixed
- Powder: Hodgdon Titegroup 4.3 gr
- OAL: 1.150"
- Powerfactor: 138

I could lower down my powder to 4.0 gr to get towards minimum PF of 125 for USPSA Production Division but, both my XD9 and 1911-9mm for Single Stack Division likes the current load.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

KAIZENBOI's USPSA Videos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Freedom Gunworks Shooting Team
USPSA TY64352
kaizenboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 53131
My Dad left me a lot of 9mm reloading supplies, and I’ve been using it for several months. Here’s what I’ve been shooting:
Winchester 115 gr jacketed round nose and some Winchester 115 gr jacketed hollow points (JHP)
Hodgdon HP-38, 4.7 gr
Mixed brass
CCI primer
OAL: 1.1” for the round nose, 1.125” for the hollow points
The only combination I came across that did not work in my XDm 9 is Magtech brass and the Winchester JHP bullets. After seating the bullet, I noticed a very slight bulge in the case which prevented the round from chambering completely. Oddly enough, the Magtech brass/Winchester JHP combo works just fine in my Taurus PT709. I’m assuming the XDm has slightly tighter tolerances than my Taurus.
Happy reloading and shooting!
KDSComp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
There is no perfect recipe
I take it you've went through this thread already - 9mm / 38 Caliber Reloading
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZXD View Post
There is no perfect recipe
I take it you've went through this thread already - 9mm / 38 Caliber Reloading
True statement! I can only tell you that all guns are diff & what works in mine may be less than "prefect" in your. IMO, powders faster than WST should NOT be used in the high pressure/small volumn 9mm for anything but light target loads. Bad things happen very quickly when you play w/ uberfast powders & heavy bullets in the 9mm & 40. I woul dbe quite happy loading 9mm w/ Unique or Universal, all bullet wieghts & styles. Then again, I do NOT load light gamer loads, but factory equiv or just under, sometimes jut over.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
True statement! I can only tell you that all guns are diff & what works in mine may be less than "prefect" in your. IMO, powders faster than WST should NOT be used in the high pressure/small volumn 9mm for anything but light target loads. Bad things happen very quickly when you play w/ uberfast powders & heavy bullets in the 9mm & 40. I would be quite happy loading 9mm w/ Unique or Universal, all bullet weights & styles. Then again, I do NOT load light gamer loads, but factory equiv or just under, sometimes just over.
Damn straight !!!

As burn rate gets faster, you need to be much more critical of what you are doing
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28471
I agree about the "no perfect recipe". I have found a load that works in most of my 9mm's though. 4.0 gr WST with 130 gr BBI. Running just over 1000 fps and, for me at least, a good gamer load @ 134 PF. 4.2 gr N320 is another that provides great accuracy and mild recoil at almost the same speed and PF as the previous load. Just gotta play with some powders and bullets to find the one that's right for you. Have fun and be safe.

XDm .45 5.25 Competition
XD9sc w/ TFO's
XDM 40 DP fiber optics, PRP trigger
STI Spartan 9mm
2-STI Spartan .45;s
S&W M&P 9 Pro
Kahr CW9
2-Browning Buckmarks
S&W 686
ETexPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 46455
I shoot thousands of these:

Berry's 124gr plated Flat point
5.4gr Accurate #5
CCI or Winchester primer
COL 1.070

Factory recoil, very accurate, and cut clean paper holes. Extremely clean shooting rounds also.

These rounds shoot flawlessly in a Beretta 92, Sig 226 Elite, XD-9, Glock 19, SCCY cpx-1, and a few others so they've been around the range a while.

My Surplus gun collecting site:
Missileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 51886
Smile The perfect recipe

First I want to thank you all for responding to my request. As far as the perfect recipe, I realize that one shoe doesn't fit all, been around guns long enough, what I was primarly after was different starting points I would be able to tweek to perform in my xd. I noticed that most of you all like using 124gr. bullets, is this due to PF for competition or better defense load? Been using 115 gr. from Berry's,Hornady, and Rainier with good results partnered with Titegroup. Again all input is appreciated. Thanks and good shooting.
Darrell
4now is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
9mm 124 gr jhp load red dot
9mm 124gr gold dot bullet for reloading
9mm recipes

9mm reloading recipes

9mm reloading recipes with universal
9mm reloading recipies
9mm130 gn
best 9mm reloading recipe
best tite group recipe for 9mm
loading recipes unique
recipes 115gr rainier hp-38
recipes for loading red dot powder for 9mm rounds
recipie for accurate 9mm reloads
red dot 9mm recipies
reloading 9mm rainier 115gr. with hp-38
reloading 9mm recipes
Click on a term to search for related topics.