• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

SD Ammo

This is a discussion on SD Ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; What 9mm Self Defense ammo expands the most and what will expand the most consistently?...

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 55138
SD Ammo

What 9mm Self Defense ammo expands the most and what will expand the most consistently?
King1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Go here, read this:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Choose one of the 9mm loads listed (they are in no particular order), and see if your pistol likes them--which means you'll want to put at least 50, or a minimum an entire magazine of every magazine you intend to use for HD/carry. See how well they function (if it's not 100%, choose another off the list), and if they are accurate and controllable out of your pistol in your hands in rapid fire.

All of the rounds listed will reliably expand, especially after going through things like heavy clothing. As to what expands the most...they are all going to be within a few hundredths of an inch of each other...really, it's a non-issue.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
You are asking two questions that depend so much on situational variables that a specific answer can't be given. The best bet is to Google some ballistics tests from several sites and do some comparison. You will soon find the top 3-4 places filled by the same ammo, over and over. The next thing you need to do is make SURE the ammo you choose is 100% reliable in your gun. I never load an ammo for carry that I haven't shot AT LEAST 200 times through that weapon. Yes, that's expensive, but a jam in a gunfight might be deadly. I'd rather pay the bucks to a gun shop than to a funeral home.

All that being said, I've done some extensive research and in my carry caliber, 9mm, I like the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. - either the Short Barrel or the standard, and Corbon's DPX 115 gr. Both are 100% reliable in my gun, shoot to POA, and have some great ballistics with almost 100% expansion.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
As Cudda said pick any from the list. The list is not in order so no corbon does not expand better than any others.

If you are going to research on google make sure you only use tests done using IWBA or FBI protocols to make your decision. If the test media isn't calibrated properly it will not show you expansion and penetration properties that will correlate with tissue. Water tests will not show expansion and penetration properties that you can compare to tissue so don't use those as a good reference for expansion and penetration.

Note: Water test using the McPherson Water Test Method will predict penetration but should no be used to predict expansion.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

9mm ammo, self defense

Search tags for this page

sd ammo

sd ammo for xds
what 9mm ammo expands the most
what is sd ammo
what sd ammo for xd9sc
which ammo expands the most
xd 9mm sd ammo
xd9sc sd ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.