• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How do you rate hornady ammos?

This is a discussion on How do you rate hornady ammos? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Are hornady ammos specifically the TAP and XTP line comparable to Corbon DPX, Golden Sabers, Federal Hst? Are Hornady ammos in the same level with ...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 25681
How do you rate hornady ammos?

Are hornady ammos specifically the TAP and XTP line comparable to Corbon DPX, Golden Sabers, Federal Hst?

Are Hornady ammos in the same level with the other brands mentioned. Are they similarlly priced (higher or lower) compared to the corbons and golden sabers
tonysoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
The XTP is a good bullet; tend not to expand as much as the latest, premium JHP's, but isn't a bad choice.

TAP uses the XTP bullet, so basically it's the same round. As for price, there are several ammo makers (Fiocchi, Black Hills, and a few others) that load the XTP bullet in their rounds for a lot less than a box of Hornady will cost; usally, you can find 50 rounds from the other mfg's that will cost about the same as 20 from Hornady.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52255
when I had my m&p9c I ran TAP's through it & don't have any complaints about them. zero problems with firing them & the times I checked for expansion they did their job, so I was happy with them.
Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
As Cuda said, a bit old school, one of the first to meet the FBI protocol for penetration & expansion. There are better bullets today, but I still carry the XTP w/ confidence, they never fragment & always expand some, pentrate deep. That is really all I can ask for a bullet to do.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31789
Hornady makes good ammo. I use there XTP bullets in my 9mm reloads. They are priced pretty good for a JHP. I think I pay around $12 for a 100 box.
XD45 Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
As Cuda said, a bit old school, one of the first to meet the FBI protocol for penetration & expansion. There are better bullets today, but I still carry the XTP w/ confidence, they never fragment & always expand some, pentrate deep. That is really all I can ask for a bullet to do.
I often hear TAP and XTP described as old school. How old is the XTP design if someone knows. Which one between XTP and the Hydra shok is older? Thanks.

Last edited by tonysoprano; 03-16-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysoprano View Post
I often hear TAP and XTP describe as old school. How old is the XTP design if someone XTP and the Hydra shok is older? Thanks.
If memory serves, both bullets came out in the 1980's.

And most people in the know will also describe HS as an old-school round as well.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
Winchester PDX1 is the new hotness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysoprano View Post
I often hear TAP and XTP describe as old school. How old is the XTP design if someone XTP and the Hydra shok is older? Thanks.
As Cuda said, they both came on the scene about the same time. I think the XTP was first. They both have gine thru upgrades as well. All bullet/ammo manuf tweek their designs as they get feedback from the real world use. Neither are top of the line, but both still work.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

I guess i'll be fine with my TAP FPD 200gr +p 45acp and 180gr 40sw. I am thinking of replacing my Golden Sabers with it. Thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

are hornady bullets good

corbon dpx vs hornady xtp

hornady tap vs xtp

hornady xtp vs corbon

hornady xtp vs corbon dpx

hornady xtp vs federal hst

hornady xtp vs other brands

hst vs xtp

hydashok vs xtp

hydra shok vs xtp

hydra-shok vs xtp

is hornady ammo good

rate hornady ammo

xtp vs golden saber

xtp vs. hst

Click on a term to search for related topics.