• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Just purchased first gun (xdm9c), question on snap caps and range ammo

This is a discussion on Just purchased first gun (xdm9c), question on snap caps and range ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hey guys, I just purchased a xdm9c from Kyles gun shop on here (Great to do business with) and was wondering what snap caps are? ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Just purchased first gun (xdm9c), question on snap caps and range ammo

Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50771
Just purchased first gun (xdm9c), question on snap caps and range ammo

Hey guys,

I just purchased a xdm9c from Kyles gun shop on here (Great to do business with) and was wondering what snap caps are? I do not have too much experience in handling a gun (un-chambering a loaded round, etc) and heard these are good for practice. are you supposed to pull the trigger with these in the magazine when practicing loading / un loading, and if so, do they make a loud noise or are they quiet enough to practice with in my apartment living room?

Also, im picking the gun up this weekend and was going to put 100 rounds through it, any particular range ammo or grade I should be using in this xdm pistol?

Thanks in advance
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 49459
Owner of xdm9 4.5" for two months now. Snap caps are for practicing dry firing. They don't make a noise it just acts as a cushion for your striker so it won't wear out as fast. For ammo at the range, I use Winchester white box 115grain from Wally world. Not too dirty and best bang for your buck.

I suggest taking a safety class. I would also suggest hanging around these forums. I've learned so much from this web site it's ridiculous.

Good luck and stay safe
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 50319
For practice, I use the Winchester 115gr FMJ rounds that Smoov mentioned. Sometimes these are referred to on this forum as "WWB." I pay about $22 for a box of 100 rounds.
PacoJose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48119
I've never used snap caps so i can't help you there , but your XDM should handle whatever FMJ ammo you chose to buy. I 've used just about any ammo that i could pick up cheaply, don't be scare of steel ammo either. My XD and XDM has handled everything, with no failures of any kind. Stay Safe,enjoy your new toy.

We defend our President with guns We defend our Congressmen with guns We defend our Governors with guns We defend banks with guns We defend our courts with guns,We defend our children with a sign that says THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE and then call someone with a gun if there's an emergency!
stuz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Modern pistols, except for maybe rimfires, do not need snap caps. One could even argue they are dangerous as you are loading something into a mag when your dry firegun should be empty. Food for thought. They are useful for instructing on how to properly load & unload & be safe doing it. Your XD will eat any 9mm ammo manuf pressur wise. Always try self def ammo to verify reliability, regardless of what you are told works best.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45818
Just picked up my 9 subcompact bro you'll love your m. Dude I just moved from ft Lauderdale last year. And by the way welcome to our world; practice practice and be safe.
Moses2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39431
Your XD will shoot any factory ammo out there.

Be safe and have fun
TACC XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 26776
You don't need snap caps. You should definitely consider taking some type of basic firearms course.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNO3 View Post
You don't need snap caps. You should definitely consider taking some type of basic firearms course.
The dry firing question has been submited to SA and their reply has been, for extended dry firing use snap caps.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 26776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
The dry firing question has been submited to SA and their reply has been, for extended dry firing use snap caps.

don
The only thing that would happen is the striker retainer pin could break. Under $10 to fix.
Even though SA said that, you still don't need them. I believe some members here have dry fired many thousands of times. All with no adverse results.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
are snap caps loud
best 9mm snap caps

best snap caps

do a zoom snap caps make noise

do snap caps make noise

do snap caps make noise?
do snap caps make sound
how loud are snap caps
snap caps loud
snap caps noise
store gun snap cap
store gun with snap caps
store guns with snap caps
storing gun with snap caps

xdm9c

Click on a term to search for related topics.