• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Anyone had any experience with .40 lite loads?

This is a discussion on Anyone had any experience with .40 lite loads? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I came across these 2 articles online and I want to use them for some practice rounds. Has anyone had any experience with them. I ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Anyone had any experience with .40 lite loads?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 26409
Anyone had any experience with .40 lite loads?

I came across these 2 articles online and I want to use them for some practice rounds. Has anyone had any experience with them. I am going to use the 180 JHP, I am using power pistol(5gr) instead of the listed 4.5 in the article, and an OAL of 1.135.
Let me know what you think.

.40 S&W Lite Recoil Loads

Handloading the .40 Smith & Wesson Pistol Cartridge | Handguns

"I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Keep your Booger Hook off the Bang Switch!
4xd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
The first article talks about using TG. A std choice for light loads in the 40. IMO, one of the worst powders ever developed by a powder manuf. The very small powder charge can easily be doubled. It does/offers nothing over several other powders for accuracy & the negatives, like low volumn, extremely hot burning temps, out way any perceived benefit. It does show some good choices for lighter loads, like W231, but also misses some very good powders. The second article was all about full power loads, so nothing new there.
PowerPistol is a good powder in the 40, but like all medium-slow burners, doesn't run well at lower charge wts. So what is it you are tyring to accomplish? There is no powder out that will run mousefart loads & full power loads safely & efficiently IMO. Ramshot SIl, VV340 & WSF are probably the best bet for a 180gr bullet @ 830fps or so & then be able to push it along near 1050fps. For true bunnyfart loads, you need a powder that is faster. I like WST, burns clean & cool, high volumn per charge wt w/ good accuracy. W231 does well, but a bit smokey when yo udrop the charge swts much below midrange. WSF for full power loads, or stick w/ the PP. I just wouldn't run PP under 5gr, I wouldn't even run it under 5.5gr, JMO. It's not unsafe, just better powder choice for runing soft loads.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 26409
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The first article talks about using TG. A std choice for light loads in the 40. IMO, one of the worst powders ever developed by a powder manuf. The very small powder charge can easily be doubled. It does/offers nothing over several other powders for accuracy & the negatives, like low volumn, extremely hot burning temps, out way any perceived benefit. The second article was all about full power loads, so nothing new there.
PowerPistol is a good powder in the 40, but like all medium-slow burners, doesn't run well at lower charge wts. So what is it you are tyring to accomplish? There is no powder out that will run mousefart loads & full power loads safely & efficiently. Ramshot SIl, VV340 & WSF are probably the best bet for a 180gr bullet @ 850fps or so & then be able to push it along near 1050fps. For true bunnyfart loads, you need a powder that is faster. I like WST, burns clean & cool, high volumn per charge wt w/ good accuracy. WSF for full power loads, or stick w/ the PP. I just wouldn't run it under 5gr, I wouldn't even run it under 5.5gr, JMO.
The first article shows in the chart that they were using 4.5gr of power pistol with 180gr XTP, and 4.0 gr of PP with 180 laser cast bullets.
I know the second isn't about lite loads, but is lists 180 JHP with power pistol with a starting grains of 5gr and a max of 6.5.
So if I were to use 5.0 grains wouldn't that be a safe load? In my LEE loading manual is says 6.3gr for a starting load, ans 6.9 for a max. I know it might now be a super lite load, but I just want to make sure it isn't going to be too lite to be safe. I will be staying above 5gr.

"I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Keep your Booger Hook off the Bang Switch!
4xd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Lead bullets use less powder to achieve sim pressures & vel. as jacketed. You do not use jacketed data for lead bullets. The only safety issue w/ most powder loading below suggested min is getting a bullet stuck. A jacketed bullet has slightly more friction than a lead bullet. So using below suggested starting data should be avoided. If the bullet makes it out of the bbl, it poses no safety issue. As I previously stated, I would not go below the 5gr you are using now, unless you switch to a lead bullet, even then, 5gr w/ PP is really low pressure, will not burn completely because of that & accuracy is likely to suffer some. If you want to load lower vel loads, I would move to a slightly faster powder.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 50458
AA2 start loads work just fine for 135 and 155 plated bullets.

My name is Jim, but most people call me ......... Jim.
jimdanos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page

.40 light loads

.40 lite

.40 lite handloads

.40 lite loads

.40 s&w light loads
.40 s&w lite loads

40 lite

40 lite loads

40 s&w light loads

40 s&w lite loads

light 40 s&w loads
lite 40 loads
lite 40 s&w loads
power pistol .40
soft .40 loads
soft 40 loads
Click on a term to search for related topics.