• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best .45 ACP Defense Round

This is a discussion on Best .45 ACP Defense Round within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I'm wondering what you all keep handy for either your home defense/carry round (same thing for me)? Back when I first got my XD45C, I ...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26790
Question Best .45 ACP Defense Round

I'm wondering what you all keep handy for either your home defense/carry round (same thing for me)? Back when I first got my XD45C, I bought some Federal Premium HydraShok 230gr JHP. I shot through a few magazines worth and what was left over, I keep loaded in it.

Since then, I know there have been quite a few developments in hollow-point ammo. Even when I bought the Hydra-Shok ammo, there were some people saying that it was on the way out because it was an older technology and there were better options available. The main critique was that it doesn't expand properly when shooting through fabric, especially thicker fabric like denim. Now, in Phoenix, I very rarely have to worry about people wearing heavy jackets, but in the winter, who knows? It's also probably not very likely that I'll encounter a threat that's not wearing clothes either... So I'm examining options for a new round to replace the Hydra-Shok as my standard defense round.

A while back, an article in American Rifleman was singing the praises of the Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 round and the Hornady Critical Defense FTX round. Does anybody here have experience with one or both of these rounds? I'm not sure I like that the Hornady round is 185gr, as I'm partial to the 230gr of my Hydra-Shok or the PDX1.

What do you all keep loaded and what went into your decision making process in selecting that round?
- Remington 870 Express
- Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Scottpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Hornady CD is a gimmick round with a very good promotion I wouldn't consider it in the league of the quality HPs such as PDX, Ranger Ts, HST, Gold Dot, etc...

45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 29327
Winchester Ranger T for me.....feeds perfectly in every 45 I own.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cooks128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Forgot to mention as cooks 128 says try several brands listed and choose the one that shoots most accurate and function and feeds reliably.
Quote:
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
XDTalk 4K Member

forgot to mention...a lot of places restrict Ranger T for LEO only...TDS does not.

Winchester Ranger SXT

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Anything off the list that Agalindo gave that feeds 100% reliably in your pistol in your hands, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy & control, particularly in rapid fire.

Personally, my .45's are loaded with 230 Gold Dot or 230+P Ranger-T/230 PDX-1.

And I'd avoid the Hornady CD like the plague.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26790
Thanks for the opinions so far. I'm really liking what I see about the Ranger T. And the expansion on it is magnificent! It's almost beautiful, like a flower.... like a murderous, death-bringing flower.

Two of you said to avoid the Hornady CD, might I ask why?
- Remington 870 Express
- Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Scottpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

the petals make all the difference the Ranger T is the evolution of the Black Talon ammo of the 90s.

Opinions on the Hornady CD ammo

Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115 gr 9mm

Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Fortunately, there are few bad choices in 45acp, even the Hydrashok still does the job. Ranget T, HST, RGS bonded or not, XTP, GoldDots, all work well, any real diff is measured w/ calipers. Buy a box of each & shoot em. They need to be:
#1 100% reliable
#2 reasonably accurate (for me 3" or better @ 15yds)
#3 terminal performance is nice but last place. It has to work, it has to be accurate. I'ld rather shoot ball ammo (& I hate ball ammo) than ammo that is not reliable or shoots into 4" @ 15yds.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Agreed reliability and accuracy are the most important.

BUT while yes the expansion size between the rounds mention is very small the reliability of the rounds expanding is much greater in the newer HPs than in the Hydrashock.

The difference between the older designs and the newer designs is more of reliability of expansion rather than size of expanded bullet.
So a hydrashock has more of a chance of being an FMJ (failed to expand) than the newer designs..
Quote:
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
45apc defensive round reviews
best .45 acp defense round
best .45 acp defensive round
best .45 defense round
best .45 round
best 45 acp ammo
best 45 acp defense ammo

best 45 acp defense round

best 45 acp round
best 45 acp rounds
best 45 auto round
best 45 defense round
best carry ammo 45 acp

black talon ammo

what is the best round for an xd 45 acp
Click on a term to search for related topics.