• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

buying ammo out of state

This is a discussion on buying ammo out of state within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; im traveling to az and am flying i pretty sure i cant bring ammo so my question is can i buy ammo in another state ...

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 43951
buying ammo out of state

im traveling to az and am flying i pretty sure i cant bring ammo so my question is can i buy ammo in another state im from Illoinis and i know if u dont have a foid card you cant buy ammo or gun if you from out of state visiting Illionis.
thx
willis1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Old Timer

Member #: 42039
.I did not find anything related in your question.

although it just stated that a weapon purchased from a non resident can purchase a long gun, as long as it is legal in your home state

or a pistol in same as above shipped to a FFL

??? did not see ammo

call DPS

hopefully someone else might know

Handgunlaw.us

Concealed Weapons Reciprocal and Recognition Agreements - Arizona Department of Public Safety
Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38575
You can bring ammo with you in your checked baggage up to 300 rounds i did this not 2 months ago along with my kimber I also brought back 600 rounds between two suitcases one for my wife and one for me that i bought with an out of state license

Found at TSA: Traveling with Special Items
Traveling with Special Items

Firearms & Ammunition

Photo of a firearm improperly packaged.
You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.
There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.
The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:
  • You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
  • The firearm must be unloaded.
  • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
  • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
  • We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
  • You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
  • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
  • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Photo of a firearm properly packaged.
We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.
Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.
Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
tahoepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Just phone or Email an online ammo dealer, they do this every day.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
I was told by TSA that there was a weight limit on ammo not a number, but either way you can fly with ammo.

As far as buying ammo, I have bought ammo in 4 different states and never had an issue, go to walmart if all else fails??

You should be fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
Welcome to free America. You can buy all the ammo in Arizona you want.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet

List of homonyms

Cannibul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 14738
+1 on welcome to "free" American outside of Illinois
"[I]f the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted. ... If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws." --Noah Webster
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
Sure you can. There is no registration or paperwork required on ammo purchases. I live in SC and buy in NC all the time, sometimes even GA. Went up to Pineville a couple of months ago and bought 10 boxes of .380 Auto - no problem. "Do you want more?" was the only question asked.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23329
I'm from Illinois and I buy ammo in Indiana all the time. I have also bought ammo in Alabama , Missouri and Kentucky.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45768
You also can buy ammo in IL if you're out of state, at least according to Rural King last time I was visiting family in Souther Illinois. Just needed my out of state license, since as a non-res I can't have a FOID. I agree with the other posters, things are a bit simpler outside of IL.
simboden is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
buying ammo in one state and shipping to another
buying ammo in other states
buying ammo in texas out of state resident
can a non-resident purchase ammunition in montana
can a nonresident buy ammo. in n.c.
can i buy 22 shells in missouri if i live in indiana?
can i buy ammo in indiana if i live in illinois

can illinois residents buy ammo in indiana

can tn residents buy ammo in ga
do they sell ammo to out of state residents in nc
how to buy ammo un kentucky from out of state
what is required to purchase ammunition in indiana
Click on a term to search for related topics.