• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.40 Cal home defense ammo

This is a discussion on .40 Cal home defense ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hey guys, I know this is a topic that has probably been discussed, I couldn't find an answer to my specific question. Q #1: For ...

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45937
.40 Cal home defense ammo

Hey guys, I know this is a topic that has probably been discussed, I couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

Q #1: For all you 4" Service Model XD 40 owners, what is the best home defense (hollow point) ammunition for your gun. I have been looking at the following; Hornady Tap, Harnady XTP, Winchester PTX (?), Remington etc. Thanks guys!
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Any of the ones you mentioned along with the list below will do. You will need to fire some through your gun and see if they work with no malfunctions in loading or ejecting and if you can shoot them accurately. I would recommend you fire at least 40 rounds preferably 100 with no malfunctions.

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355 or S40SWPDB1)
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42500
I use Corbon's 140gr DPX rounds for home-defense. They use the Barnes X-Bullets mentioned first in agalindo's list with a fairly high muzzle velocity for some pretty impressive numbers.

Though, most of the ones previously mentioned will do just fine.

Springfield XDm40, M1A Loaded : Ruger LCR, LC9
Beretta M9A1 : Marlin 989-M2 .22LR
Bushmaster ACR : FNH SCAR 17S
Century GP-75 AK-47 : Sig Sauer 516, P226 Mk25
M1 Carbine .30 : M1 Garand
Savage 10-FLCP-K / .308
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Don't get caught up in the "muzzle energy thing" All the bullets listed pass FBI/IWBA protocols. In pistol rounds once the round penetrates the required minimum and expands the excess muzzle energy and velocity will not wound via "energy dump-hydorstatic shock" it will just add to recoil and muzzle blast.
Quote:
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31347
for home defense consider finding out what your local LEO's use and copy them, should something happen, in court you can defend the choice pretty easy by referencing the fact that local LEO's chose it, and so you did too.
"What are the marks of a sick culture? It is a bad sign when the people of a country stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group. A racial group. Or a religion. Or a language. Anything, as long as it isn't the whole population."
addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45815
I use Winchester PDX1 180gr.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiction View Post
for home defense consider finding out what your local LEO's use and copy them, should something happen, in court you can defend the choice pretty easy by referencing the fact that local LEO's chose it, and so you did too.
Thats a good idea thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39051
Just don't use the +P, waste of money, extra recoil, extra muzzle blast, extra wear on the pistol with no improvement in results. I use Speer Gold Dots in all calibers, but any of the ones in Agalindo's post works fine. I won't use Remington Golden Sabers because of my experience. Bought a case of them, only six out of each ten rounds would fire - that is in three different Sig Arms pistols
XD357sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
Any of the ones you mentioned along with the list below will do. You will need to fire some through your gun and see if they work with no malfunctions in loading or ejecting and if you can shoot them accurately. I would recommend you fire at least 40 rounds preferably 100 with no malfunctions.
Thanks, I'll go get some and get to the range. I pick up my gun on the 3rd. Again, stupid 10 day wait period. Has anybody played around with home made ballistics gell? Just for fun?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Too expensive and time consuming.

Quote:
Gelatin calibration needs to be performed on each block of 10% Type 250A ordnance gelatin that has been stored for several days at 4 degrees Celsius. To accomplish this (GEL CAL), a 0.177" steel BB is fired into each block at 590 fps +/- 15 fps, with an ideal range of penetration defined as 8.5 cm +/- 1.0 cm of penetration, although up to +/- 1.5 cm is considered acceptable. Duncan MacPherson's book Bullet Penetration has more information on gel calibration.

Common testing includes either an FBI type assessment using at least the six standard FBI tests at 10 feet (bare gel, heavy clothing, sheet steel, wallboard, plywood, auto glass), with the possible addition of the heavy clothing and auto glass tests at 20 yards or a three event IWBA type test using bare gelatin, 4 layer denim, and auto windshield tests all at 10 feet.
Quote:
Ordnance Gelatin Calibration
To ensure bullet penetration results are accurate ordnance gelatin must be calibrated immediately before use. This is accomplished by firing a .177 caliber steel BB into each and every gelatin block at a chronographed velocity of 590 fps and measuring the penetration depth of the BB. The calibration standard is 8.5 cm of BB penetration. Gelatin that meets this calibration standard is referred to as standard gelatin.
This calibration standard was determined by Martin L. Fackler, M.D., a Colonel in the U.S. Army Medical Corps when he was assigned to the U.S. Army Wound Ballistics Laboratory, Letterman Army Institute of Research, Presidio of San Francisco, California. Fackler established a BB penetration calibration range of 8.5 cm 0.8 cm that permitted a penetration accuracy of within 10 percent, as compared to results observed in living soft tissue.
Unfortunately many gelatin blocks cast for bullet testing do not meet this stringent calibration standard, and this creates a troubling situation for researchers. Discarding non-standard blocks of gelatin is extremely costly, whereas the use of substandard gelatin does not produce accurate data.
In the early 1990’s, Duncan MacPherson, an engineering consultant and member of the IWBA Board of Directors, performed extensive research about tissue simulants used in wound ballistics studies and published a book, "Bullet Penetration -- Modeling the Dynamics and the Incapacitation Resulting from Wound Trauma." As a result of his research MacPherson developed a method for correction of bullet penetration data measured in non-standard gelatin to the penetration in standard gelatin, with an accuracy of approximately 3 percent. Since 1995, Fackler’s BB penetration calibration range of 7.7 cm - 9.3 cm (8.5 cm 0.8 cm) has been considered obsolete.
As you can see in the preceding article about Speer Gold Dot ammunition, the quality of the gelatin we used did not meet the 8.5 cm calibration standard. BB penetration among the various gelatin blocks we used measured from 7.0 cm to 10.6 cm. We used MacPherson’s simplified method to calculate individual bullet penetration corrections ranging from 3/8-inch to almost 1-inches.
When gelatin is not calibrated it’s impossible to determine the validity of the data. Keep this in mind the next time you read an article in which ordnance gelatin is used to study bullet performance. Look for evidence that the author calibrated his gelatin. If photographs of gelatin blocks with bullets shot into them are published with the article, look for the telltale presence of a BB in each of the blocks used. (The BB should be located about 3-4 inches from the front edge of the block). If the photo shows several gelatin blocks lined up end-to-end every block should have a BB in it. It is common for authors to claim they’ve calibrated their gelatin (usually citing the obsolete specification of 8.5 cm 0.8 cm), however it is uncommon for gelatin blocks to meet this exacting calibration standard.
A good researcher/author will publish his ordnance gelatin calibration data (BB velocity and penetration). Unfortunately many authors are unaware of this calibration requirement and simply shoot bullets into a generic "10 percent ordnance gelatin at 39 degrees Fahrenheit," thinking this is good enough.
Quote:
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

hollow point, home defense, hornady, self defense

Search tags for this page
.40 for home defense
40 cal ammo defense
40 cal ammo for home defense
40 cal home defense

best .40 home defense ammo

best 40 cal ammo home defense

best 40 cal home defense ammo

best 40cal home defense ammo
best home defense .40 ammo

best home defense 40 ammo

best home defense 40 cal ammo
best home defense ammo 40 cal
good home defense ammo .40
home defense .40 ammo
home defense 40 caliber ammo
what is the best 40 caliber defense bullet
Click on a term to search for related topics.