• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.40 Cal home defense ammo

This is a discussion on .40 Cal home defense ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by surfish95747 I agree with you Cuda. I've always thought, if you are to the point of shooting at someone (home defense/personal defense), ...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #61
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfish95747 View Post
I agree with you Cuda. I've always thought, if you are to the point of shooting at someone (home defense/personal defense), you are not shooting to wound or incapacitate, but you are shooting to kill. Not that we are all blood thirsty, thats just the extreme that you are already at. This has been an awesome thread and discussion thank guys. I have a pretty clear pictuire on what is needed to keep me and my family safe.
Well, actually...I'm shooting to make them stop whatever they're doing that made me decide to shoot them, not necessarily to kill.

If the live through it, fine. If they don't, well...that's the way things go when large caliber rounds strike center mass.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #62
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
Is this for real or is this fake? I'm sure some of you have seen this vid. This shows when you get hit by the .50 you'd blow up to peices. YouTube - 50 cal sniper rifle

All this talk of knock down factor and the .50 BMG get's brought up? The .50 BMG was designed to take out hard mobil targets like flippin tanks. I was watching a show on History Channel where sniper's who used the .50 on soft targets said that it usually resulted in a huge spray of blood.
It kinda was a sidetrack of the recoil energy equalling projectile energy discussion...and the .50BMG really has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a .40S&W round.

These aren't the droids you're looking for...move along, move along.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #63
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
It kinda was a sidetrack of the recoil energy equalling projectile energy discussion...and the .50BMG really has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a .40S&W round.

These aren't the droids you're looking for...move along, move along.
I agree. I just couldn't help but throw that in there.

I'll have to agree with you and Agalindo on sticking to the FBI research and conclusion.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #64
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
It won't be when it strikes an assailant you want to stop and fails miserably.

Get some real ammo. That frangible crap is for mall ninjas.

+1 Mall ninja ammo
Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #65
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
+1 Mall ninja ammo
Not only that but it's been proven that it's not blended metal they are just plain lead and gilding metal bullets pushed at extreme velocity and above SAAMI specs. They are no more deadly than any light fast bullet. For varmints it's great for larger targets it under penetrates.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #66
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44924
If someone breaks into my home they will get a chest full of lead from the weatherby. The night stand gun(XDm) has the RCBS. I have 2 small children, and over-penetration is a big worry for me.
I only ever carry the Glock, and it is loaded with 147 GR Speer Gold DOTS for that duty.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #67
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
i carry buffalo bore ammo that has a 180grain gold dot projectile @ 1100 FPS

they also make a 155 at 1300fps

but i prefer the heaver projectile.

this ammo is definitely hotter then the factory gold dots

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #68
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
If someone breaks into my home they will get a chest full of lead from the weatherby. The night stand gun(XDm) has the RCBS. I have 2 small children, and over-penetration is a big worry for me.
I only ever carry the Glock, and it is loaded with 147 GR Speer Gold DOTS for that duty.
You don't seem to get it.

Those RCBS rounds are the worst of both worlds--they go through wallboard like an FMJ, but don't penetrate flesh to get deep enough to stop.

You're fooling yourself if you think you're keeping anyone safe with those...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #69
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Agreed that mall Nina crap is worthless.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #70
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 46969
Knock down is real

I agree that a deer well shot often runs a ways. The situation with humans in my experience in combat does point to knock down on real people. Without going into a war story, I shot a North Vietnamese Sapper. One of my men nicked him with 40mm canister (about the same as 12 gauge 00 Buck). He stood up immediately. I hit him in the center of his chest with a 5.56 tracer. As he was going down two of my men hit him in the side of his chest with 5.56 ball.

Not to disagree with everyone, in this fight and others, men will go down with one shot when hit well. The issue is F=MA (Force = Mass X Acceleration). With a good bullet, there is good penetration and an apparent good wound cavity.

With a pistol bullet there should be more mass (in some cases) with much lower velocity. The issue is bullet placement based on lots of training.
CPTKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

hollow point, home defense, hornady, self defense

Search tags for this page
.40 ammo-best auto glass penetration
.40 for home defense
40 cal ammo defense
40 cal ammo for home defense
40 cal home defense

best .40 home defense ammo

best 40 cal ammo
best 40 cal ammo for self defense that will penatrae 15 inchs of body mass
best 40 cal ammo home defense

best 40 cal home defense ammo

best 40cal home defense ammo
best home defense .40 ammo
best home defense 40 ammo
best home defense 40 cal ammo
best home defense ammo 40 cal
home defense .40 ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.